Welcome!
Forum users

Current releases
--MX-23 release info here
--Migration information to MX-23 here
--antiX-23.1 (Arditi del Popolo) release info here

Important information
--If in starting your system it boots to an unwanted Desktop, right click desktop, then select leave and logout. At the
login screen there is a session chooser at the top of the screen.

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- New Forum Features, Marking Solved and Referencing a User: here

please add even more confusion about Antix vs. MX distro

Help on all MX Re-spins
Jerry3904
Administrator

Re: please add even more confusion about Antix vs. MX distro

#11 Post by Jerry3904 »

Good job, BitJam!
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

yop

#12 Post by yop »

thanks for the answer, Bitjam!

by the time I read it, I had already tested Antix and decided to scrap it forever for various reasons, one being the "Antix Control center" severely lacking structure.
Antics Ctrl. Ctr. is advertised as "the place where you do everything". For me, that is the best argument to never ever use Antix again.

Most users probably could not care less whether a useless "Herbstluft-WM" is provided since it is just a very poor WM.

People want KDE and easy remastering, and only MX can and will provide that. Let all herbstluftwm lovers spend their precious time with antics.

yop

#13 Post by yop »

dolphin_oracle wrote:Perhaps any of my videos on the subject would provide enlightenment.

Youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
Generally your videos are better than some others about which I will keep quiet here... :lipsrsealed:

v3g4n

#14 Post by v3g4n »

People want KDE and easy remastering, and only MX can and will provide that. Let all herbstluftwm lovers spend their precious time with antics.
So glad that you are here to speak for everyone since you clearly know what everyone wants. Where have you been our whole lives? :rofl:

Stevo
Developer

#15 Post by Stevo »

There's loads of KDE haters out there, especially on the Debian forums.

asqwerth
Developer

#16 Post by asqwerth »

yop wrote:thanks for the answer, Bitjam!

by the time I read it, I had already tested Antix and decided to scrap it forever for various reasons, one being the "Antix Control center" severely lacking structure.
Antics Ctrl. Ctr. is advertised as "the place where you do everything". For me, that is the best argument to never ever use Antix again.

Most users probably could not care less whether a useless "Herbstluft-WM" is provided since it is just a very poor WM.

1. It has already been explained that if you have really old and weak hardware, antiX is a much better bet, because it's very lightweight. So window managers are better for those old machines and even just having a control centre to help manage WMs is already admirable.

2. I know very little about WMs except Openbox, but I've seen enough cool screenshots of Manjaro, bunsenlabs and even LinuxBBQ desktops running on various WM, to know there are many people who love having a more command-line experience and that "computer nerdy/geeky" look and feel. AntiX is good for them so why knock it?

3. Do "people" really want easy remastering? I don't think I've ever made my own remastered live iso of MX, although I have made a snapshot of my running system and made 1 frugal version of the live iso on USB. Also, I could have sworn these live and remastering tools in MX come from antiX anyway.

4. MX is officially a XFCE distro, not KDE. The KDE version is a community spin, albeit by a highly respected member here. So it's quite weird to identify MX with KDE despite its roots in MEPIS. Plus, as others have said, not everyone likes KDE or chooses MX because of KDE. I was pretty happy they went with XFCE because at that time my PC was a 9 year old P4 with 1 GB RAM. MX14 ran fantastically on it. Even with my new PC, I see no reason to move from XFCE to KDE on my MX installations.

I've tried antiX and I know it's not for me because I prefer a more GUI experience, but MX would not as good as it is (good battery life, resource-efficient, quick) without antiX.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

yop

#17 Post by yop »

1. lightweight is fine, but lack of essential features is not. If rearranging the main menu is a pain already, a desktop probably is just not adequate.

2. My distraction-free remix will not include dozens of WM but just the single one KDE default WM period. More WM do not add value for 90% of straight users. It is just distracting menu spam.

3. easy remastering is the #1 selling point of MX. on a live-USB, a trimmed remastered ISO will save like 1 minute for "rootfs" RAM copying everytime it boots, plus the saved RAM space of course. In the Antix Control Center some of the tools are just chaotically arranged so the workflow of remastering is not supported at all if even possible.

4. Let's see how many people will go for XFCE when they can have KDE in MX. Even rearranging the main menu in xfce is a pain, unlike KDE (if kmenuedit is provided, that is). However, those lightweight desktops indeed are the only choice for low powered computers, like with a VIA nano CPU etc., and are quite helpful in that niche.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#18 Post by Jerry3904 »

I'm closing this thread, which has sunk into total troll territory, and have sent you an official warning.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Return to “MX Respins”