Welcome!
Forum users

Current releases
--MX-23 release info here
--Migration information to MX-23 here
--antiX-23.1 (Arditi del Popolo) release info here

Important information
--If in starting your system it boots to an unwanted Desktop, right click desktop, then select leave and logout. At the
login screen there is a session chooser at the top of the screen.

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- New Forum Features, Marking Solved and Referencing a User: here

uh oh, GHOSTBUSTERS r back ---new terminal weirdness

Help on all MX Re-spins
Belham

uh oh, GHOSTBUSTERS r back ---new terminal weirdness

#1 Post by Belham »

Started up my MX-15 KDE today, the MX Apt Notifier said there were three updates to do, I clicked on it and then was faced with this. Went upstairs to another machine, also with MX-15 KDE, same thing showed. But...well...both machines, this overall weird terminal-associated crap has started again. Here's the pics, they describe it best. Notice in the 2nd pic the googblygok entered into where we are supposed to type password? It was automatically put there, by the MX Apt Notifier opening up it up. Next, know that I can't even put a cursor in that opened box (by clicking into the box) to delete that stuff & enter my password. The only options I had available was to either x out of the whole thing, or hit "enter" on my keyboard. I hit "enter" to see what would happen, and look in pic 3 to see what happened (also note I refused to touch this 3rd popped up window because I had no way of knowing if it was going to do the original 3 updates it was said it was supposed to...thus, I just terminated the 3rd window) :

Guys, after this (and the first ghostbuster issues from a few days ago) I just don't feel safe using the mx-15 distro anymore. At the very least, I cannot help believe that they are some implementation problems going on in MX-15....I use a few other Linux distros, many with KDE, and none have these issues. Just the above, this dang behavior has been repeated on two different machines now, and two totally diff downloaded ISO verified DVDs were used to install (so it is not a corrupted ISO download issue). For now, that's it for me. Until this weirdness gets solved, or a rational explanation is given why this occurs only in MX (and not other distros), I've gotta take MX off those two of my machines.

What's interesting is that both antix15 (and now antix 16) have none of this weirdness and/or terminal ghostbuster stuff going on in the laptop, and also a SD card used as a live USB, that it is installed to. Is it because that KDE is not used in antix?? Anyway, it's ok to tolerate terminal weirdness once, but not now, not when it is the MX Apt Notifier itself who is running into it and/or also generating it.

kmathern
Developer

Re: uh oh, GHOSTBUSTERS r back ---new terminal weirdness

#2 Post by kmathern »

The apt-notifier's kdesu dialog box should look something like this:
apt-notifier-kdesu.png
In your case it looks like some of the Command text spilled over into the password box, I'm not able to duplicate that, and no one else has reported that type of problem (until now).

MX is a Xfce based distro, I just added KDE4 today using MX Package Installer (kde4_lite option) to test this, I don't normally use KDE4 anymore.

In my case KDE4 is using whatever is the default theming, decorations, etc. It looks like your install might be using something other than the default theming, I wonder if that's what's causing it?

anticapitalista
Developer

#3 Post by anticapitalista »

As kmathern mentioned, MX-15 does not use kde and was not designed to do so.
The version you are using is a remastered version provided by an MX dev see here:

http://www.mepiscommunity.org/wiki/syst ... d-versions

Note, it says: These are NOT official releases, though they have been vetted by at least one member of the Dev Team, and thus do not carry the guarantees and support that the official releases enjoy. But they may be of interest to users and are listed here for their convenience.
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

kmathern
Developer

#4 Post by kmathern »

kmathern wrote:...In your case it looks like some of the Command text spilled over into the password box, I'm not able to duplicate that, ...
It turns out I can sort of duplicate it if I manually resize the kdesu dialog box.
i.e. make the dialog window a bit shorter so that the last line of the Command text ends up in the area where the password gets typed in.
apt-notifier-kdesu-resized2.png
But it still accepted the root password when I typed it in, and it went on to open up the terminal window that it does the upgrades in.

In your case I think resizing it to make it larger would have moved the Command text out of the area of the password box, but it should have been correctly sized to begin with.

skidoo

#5 Post by skidoo »

Belham said:

I cannot help believe that they are some implementation problems going on in MX-15
...and quite a bit of PEBKAC
http://forum.mepiscommunity.org/search. ... hor=Belham

and the first ghostbuster issues from a few days ago
http://forum.mepiscommunity.org/viewtop ... 11#p389011
(user performs apt upgrade within terminal and is confused by seeing "kbuildsycoca4" stdout/stderr output)
Belham said:

So, moral of the story---as a user, just never use the "root terminal" application from the KDE MX-15 terminal for anything.
(Solved) MX-15 64-snapshot bug confirmed
http://forum.mepiscommunity.org/viewtop ... 97&t=40101
Belham said:

MX-15 team, I believe pretty much 100% now that you have a problem in your, at the minimum, all snapshots of 64-bit versions of MX-15

Stevo
Developer

#6 Post by Stevo »

Yeah, that's the KDE Crystal window decoration I'm using as default for my KDE respin--it turned out be be a hassle to get KDE and xfce4 theming to live together peacefully on one ISO without one or the other reverting to the good old ugly Window 95 (Raleigh) look.

Utopia
Administrator

#7 Post by Utopia »

Anyone using KDE must be prepared to do a lot of tweaking.
Purged xfce after installing KDE. Some of the old configurations was overriding the KDE settings. That meant goodbye to a few MX-tools.
Haven't seen the resizing problem in a pure KDE environment.
Henry

kmathern
Developer

#8 Post by kmathern »

Utopia wrote:...Haven't seen the resizing problem in a pure KDE environment. ...
I don't see it in a Xfce/KDE mixed environment. I was only able to make it occur by a deliberate action on my part of shrinking down the size of the kdesu dialog window.

I could add some extra kdesu options to hide the command/script that it's going to run as root, the kdesu dialog would look like this:
apt-notifier-kdesu-withoutcommand.png
When I tested it, I couldn't resize it down to a size where the dialog text would end up in the password box.

Utopia
Administrator

#9 Post by Utopia »

I was only able to make it occur by a deliberate action on my part of shrinking
The command is very short when using Konsole instead of the xfce terminal. No way to make it spill over, even in the smallest size.
You're probably right about that it's the length of the command that is the culprit.
Henry

Stevo
Developer

#10 Post by Stevo »

I can't reproduce the problem without resizing in my parent KDE + xfce respin either, nor the original "Ghostbusters" root terminal ksyscocoa stuff in there--though that's now the July update of it. I'll reinstall it from the ISO and see if that makes it go spooky.

Return to “MX Respins”