Welcome!
Forum users

Current releases
--MX-23 release info here
--Migration information to MX-23 here
--antiX-23.1 (Arditi del Popolo) release info here

Important information
--If in starting your system it boots to an unwanted Desktop, right click desktop, then select leave and logout. At the
login screen there is a session chooser at the top of the screen.

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- New Forum Features, Marking Solved and Referencing a User: here

Install a 32 bit rpm package on MX 64 bit

Help on all MX Re-spins
radissthor

Install a 32 bit rpm package on MX 64 bit

#1 Post by radissthor »

Hi all,

I need to run some signal processing software from BioSemi. Luckily, they have some Linux versions, but they only have 32 bit rpm packages. I was told in a forum thread that I had to use alien to turn the rpm package into deb, but when I tried to do that, I got an incompatible architecture error:

Code: Select all

Warning: Skipping conversion of scripts in package labview85-rte: postinst postrm prerm
Warning: Use the --scripts parameter to include the scripts.
labview85-rte-8.5-1.i386.rpm is for architecture i386 ; the package cannot be built on this system
Is there any way I could install a 32-bit rpm package on a 64-bit MX system?

kmathern
Developer

Re: Install a 32 bit rpm package on MX 64 bit

#2 Post by kmathern »

It looks like alien has a "--target=<arch>" option that you might try.

$ alien --help
Usage: alien [options] ...
      --target=<arch>       Set architecture of the generated package. ....
Try adding --target=i386 to the alien command you ran earlier, if it works the way I think it does it will create a *_i386.deb.

IIRC MX-15 64bit has multiarch support for i386 setup by default, so I think it should be able to install the i386 .deb package created by alien without any problems.

radissthor

#3 Post by radissthor »

kmathern wrote:It looks like alien has a "--target=<arch>" option that you might try.

$ alien --help
Usage: alien [options] ...
      --target=<arch>       Set architecture of the generated package. ....
Try adding --target=i386 to the alien command you ran earlier, if it works the way I think it does it will create a *_i386.deb.

IIRC MX-15 64bit has multiarch support for i386 setup by default, so I think it should be able to install the i386 .deb package created by alien without any problems.
Thanks for the tip. I tried running the command with the architecture option, but I get the same output:

alien --target=i386 labview85-rte-8.5-1.i386.rpm
Warning: Skipping conversion of scripts in package labview85-rte: postinst postrm prerm
labview85-rte-8.5-1.i386.rpm is for architecture i386 ; the package cannot be built on this system

richb
Administrator

#4 Post by richb »

Alien itself sometimes does not work. Trying to change architecture adds another complication. It does not surprise me that it failed.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

kmathern
Developer

#5 Post by kmathern »

radissthor wrote:...Thanks for the tip. I tried running the command with the architecture option, but I get the same output:

alien --target=i386 labview85-rte-8.5-1.i386.rpm
Okay, I found a howto here: http://www.jianchen.info/blog/install-b ... ux-ubuntu/ where they get around the i386 issue by first converting the rpms to .tgz .
And then convert the .tgz files to .deb format.

radissthor

#6 Post by radissthor »

Sorry it took me long to reply. I have been trying this workaround,I succeeded in turning the rpm into tgz format, but I cannot seem to be able to run the alien command to turn the tgz into deb format. I get the following error:

tar: /home/hlabbeg1/Labview: Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
Unpacking of '/home/hlabbeg1/Labview Runtime/labview85-rte-8.5.tgz' failed:  at /usr/share/perl5/Alien/Package/Tgz.pm line 172, <FILELIST> line 99.
I looked for the error on the Internet, but I only got a forum in portuguese and even then then info was not very useful. Any ideas what might be preventing the conversion into .deb?

Thanks in advance

radissthor

#7 Post by radissthor »

UPDATE: I realized what was wrong when I noticed the first line says it cannot find the folder called Labview. The folder, however, was not called Labview, but Labview Runtime. I figured the space in between the words ight be causing the problem, so I changed the name of the folder to Labviw_Runtime. Now the conversion works. Thanks!

jdmeaux1952

#8 Post by jdmeaux1952 »

Glad you were able to figure a solution. Thanks!

JD
MSI S6000 i5-460M 4Gb mem
I am not CrAzY. And I have a paper from the doctors to prove it!
LRU# 563815
Phear the Penguin

Return to “MX Respins”