Welcome!
Forum users

Current releases
--MX-23 release info here
--Migration information to MX-23 here
--antiX-23.1 (Arditi del Popolo) release info here

Important information
--If in starting your system it boots to an unwanted Desktop, right click desktop, then select leave and logout. At the
login screen there is a session chooser at the top of the screen.

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- New Forum Features, Marking Solved and Referencing a User: here

MX15 KDE Live Disk Hangs

Help on all MX Re-spins
ptlivestock

Re: MX15 KDE Live Disk Hangs

#11 Post by ptlivestock »

lucky9 wrote:Reread what BitJam posted. I do not think you understood what was being said.

I would first try installing MX-15 as it comes. Add KDE through the MX Package Manager. Then install the debian fall-back kernel. Boot the backup kernel. Then see if things straightened out. If they did then I'd use GRUB Customizer to make the backup kernel the default kernel.
Thanks will do ;-)
Regards

GuiGuy

#12 Post by GuiGuy »

My twopenceworth:-
I thought hard about why I wanted KDE and decided it was only because I like Konqueror with its web browsing/ftp and
twin-pane file-management capability - I don't need anything else from KDE.
So I have used Synaptic to install Konq and Dolphin (both are needed). This brings in dozens of dependencies and
uses up some disk space.
But MX15 now does almost everything I want.
YMMV

lucky9

#13 Post by lucky9 »

I like to customize and KDE is the Interface I chose. Yes, MX-15 is perfectly usable as it comes OOTB. And is easily 'tweaked' also. That's one of it's biggest strengths. "Make it your own" understates it. Linux is about choices. Enjoy
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

ptlivestock

#14 Post by ptlivestock »

I was pondering on the comment that udev could take some time to load. So two days ago I again inserted the MX15 KDE live disk and headed out of the house leaving it to its own devices. When I returned a couple of hours later lo and behold there was MX15 KDE in all its glory.

I gave it a run through some graphics files with GIMP and spreadsheets with Office on my work drive and the results were perfect. Unfortunately the internet connection was not working and I have yet to figure that one out as it could have been my broadband link and I didnt have time to reboot and reload

It felt familiar to use after having been on Mepis since 2008 and I like it, so a new hard drive is on the shopping list ;-)

So thanks guys for your help and my problem appears solved

Regards
Peter
ps. Back around 2007-8 someone gave me a magazine cd of AntiX and that lead on to Mepis fairly quickly. I had been using Amiga up until 2004-5 and reluctantly had to use MS so the move to Mepis was a welcome one. I still have an operating Amiga and files operating under an emulator on Mepis.

ptlivestock

#15 Post by ptlivestock »

I hope its okay to ask this in this thread

Ive had a second run at the live disk. It took about 30 minutes to load and as previously the application software performed okay except the internet and bluetooth were not connected. Should this be the case?

On my other machine the MX15 live disk loads in about 5 minutes and the internet connection is operational.

Both computers are connected through the same router

Regards

lucky9

#16 Post by lucky9 »

Did you try the Safe Boot option? Or any cheat codes? Like xdrvr=radeon, nouveau, or intel. Or noacpi?
On the GRUB boot screen F4 and F6 are full of options to try. Try each in order to see if one will help. Any one might be a fix for your booting problem. Some are more likely, but all are there for a reason.

So no, 30 minutes is not in any way acceptable. And not having a wired (Ethernet) connection isn't either. Usually you do have to do some setup for Bluetooth to work. I suggest you wait for someone that uses it to respond.

The output from terminal of inxi -F would help also. Use the code brackets in the full editor for it's output. You can use MX-14 for this, or antiX
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

ptlivestock

#17 Post by ptlivestock »

Erring on the side of caution with respect to the invaluable data on my work hard drive........ In a weeks time I will install MX15 KDE on a brand new drive despite how long the Live Disk takes to load and take it from there. Watch this space ;-)

Return to “MX Respins”