MEPIS 12 to MX15 64 bit amd

Help on all MX Re-spins
eemaestro

MEPIS 12 to MX15 64 bit amd

#1 Post by eemaestro »

Am considering updating my MEPIS 12.0 amd64-bit operating system to MX-15-64_KDE_added-18Apr2016.iso (or amd binary version if it exists). I did some research and discovered both OS's use an ext4 filesystem. So I ought be able to simply overwrite my existing MEPIS12 ext4 partition. Is there an install option that allows me to overwrite existing /usr files and NOT overwrite /home files. Am I being paranoid? No, I backed up all my /home files to external media, both ext4 and vfat filesystems. But I might have overlooked something important. If yes, what does it look like, so I don't miss it during the install ? I tend to easily miss important things, especially when I don't know what I'm looking for.

Okay, maybe a bit paranoid. Or maybe I just want to save time. Or maybe some of both.

lucky9

Re: MEPIS 12 to MX15 64 bit amd

#2 Post by lucky9 »

Generally considered to be much safer to backup and install fresh. However some have saved /home and used a different Username. Then you can transfer the data to the new User. I prefer the former.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

Stevo
Developer

#3 Post by Stevo »

There is not a separate 64-bit version for AMD and Intel x64 type chips. Both manufacturers use the amd64 architecture pioneered by AMD.

In my case, I saved my M12 home with the same username, and it worked just fine, and it continues to work fine when I reinstall a MX 15 virtual machine over another one. All my KDE settings carried over, and KDE looked and worked the same as in M12, since it didn't have any KDE settings on it. However, if you use the KDE respin you mentioned, you'll get the settings that are on the disc if they are different from yours. In that case, you should back up your .kde and .local folders from your M12 home folder in case you want to restore them.

eemaestro

#4 Post by eemaestro »

Thank you for the comment, lucky9. I guess by "much safer" you mean more likely to work without a SNAFU.
Stevo wrote:There is not a separate 64-bit version for AMD and Intel x64 type chips."
Thank you for clarifying, Stevo, that the binaries are identical for the two types of CPU.
In my case, I saved my M12 home with the same username, and it worked just fine, and it continues to work fine when I reinstall a MX 15 virtual machine over another one.
I don't know what an "MX 15 virtual machine" is. (Yes, I would be interested in using the same username for the new OS.)
All my KDE settings carried over, and KDE looked and worked the same as in M12, since it didn't have any KDE settings on it. However, if you use the KDE respin you mentioned, you'll get the settings that are on the disc if they are different from yours. In that case, you should back up your .kde and .local folders from your M12 home folder in case you want to restore them.
Thanks, Stevo, that helps.

Unfortunately, I did run into another SNAFU with the MX15 64-bit live DVD. I couldn't get a libreoffice document I had printed this morning under MEPIS 12 to print using the MX15 64-bit live DVD. So I logged in as root on the DVD and installed my laser printer. Installed CUPS 1.7.5. Still wouldn't print. I know the install worked, because the printer showed up in the print queue under "Name - Unknown" and "User- WIthheld" after I pressed the Print button in libreoffice writer. But the printer did nothing. Is that "par for the course"? Any ideas on how to fix this?

Return to “MX Respins”