Welcome!
Forum users

Current releases
--MX-23 release info here
--Migration information to MX-23 here
--antiX-23.1 (Arditi del Popolo) release info here

Important information
--If in starting your system it boots to an unwanted Desktop, right click desktop, then select leave and logout. At the
login screen there is a session chooser at the top of the screen.

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- New Forum Features, Marking Solved and Referencing a User: here

Unofficial MX 15-64 KDE snapshot

Help on all MX Re-spins
lucky9

Re: Unofficial MX 15-64 KDE snapshot

#71 Post by lucky9 »

During testing I thought there were things that ran better with KDM.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

BitJam
Developer

#72 Post by BitJam »

If installing KDM gets around the problem then it is by far the easiest solution. It also provides a more complete KDE experience.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself -- and you are the easiest person to fool."

-- Richard Feynman

Stevo
Developer

#73 Post by Stevo »

Exactly what problem is that again?

BitJam
Developer

#74 Post by BitJam »

Adrian wrote:First of all it looks great, I think if we make it boot directly into KDE that would be most obvious improvement. I think we need to ping BitJam for this, maybe he can change his installed-to-live script to do an exception for lightdm.conf since that gets "generalized" which means is reverted to the general form no matter how you customize it (but I don't know how that should be handled) Otherwise another solution, and it might be easier, would be to replace lightdm with kdm or another desktop manager.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself -- and you are the easiest person to fool."

-- Richard Feynman

Adrian
Developer

#75 Post by Adrian »

So Steve, if you want KDE default (I think that would be nice) you can either install KDM or you could customize the lighdm.conf file from /usr/local/share/live-files/general-files -- that's the file that gets used to overwrite the one in /etc/lightdm.conf (or wherever that file is, I'm not in front of a MX right now to check). So just set up KDM as default and want to keep lightdm, just copy the lightdm.conf over to the general-files locations (make sure you don't have any personal info there) -- from now on that's going to be the file that gets copied and used in the snapshot.

eemaestro

#76 Post by eemaestro »

Is MX15-x64_KDE_added-18Apr2016.iso a "live medium", so I can try it booting off DVD-R before installing ?

Stevo
Developer

#77 Post by Stevo »

eemaestro wrote:Is MX15-x64_KDE_added-18Apr2016.iso a "live medium", so I can try it booting off DVD-R before installing ?
Yes, it's a Live ISO; it currently boots by default to the xfce 4 desktop, but you can log out of that back to the lightdm login screen, choose a KDE plasma session there, and log into KDE as "demo". I don't think you can save any changes you make to the KDE desktop live session for the install like you can for the xfce 4 desktop...just any packages that you install in Live session can be carried over to the install, no matter what the desktop.
MXPI = MX Package Installer
QSI = Quick System Info from menu
The MX Test repository is mostly backports; not the same as Debian testing

eemaestro

#78 Post by eemaestro »

Got the ISO on the third try at downloading and burned it to DVD. Thanks. What username and password will run the demo from the live DVD?

v3g4n

#79 Post by v3g4n »

should be demo and demo from what i remember.

v3g4n

#80 Post by v3g4n »

oops, double post. :frown:

Return to “MX Respins”