Welcome!
Forum users

Current releases
--MX-23 release info here
--Migration information to MX-23 here
--antiX-23.1 (Arditi del Popolo) release info here

Important information
--If in starting your system it boots to an unwanted Desktop, right click desktop, then select leave and logout. At the
login screen there is a session chooser at the top of the screen.

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- New Forum Features, Marking Solved and Referencing a User: here

Unofficial MX 15-64 KDE snapshot

Help on all MX Re-spins
Stevo
Developer

Unofficial MX 15-64 KDE snapshot

#1 Post by Stevo »

All packages were updated to the current versions in the main repos, plus I upgraded LibreOffice to version 5 via the Package Installer. I found that removing /etc/skel/.config/Trolltech.conf fixes the appearance problems that were appearing in KDE with any other style than Oxygen. Qt 5 apps in xfce still look good (looks like the oxygen style, which I have KDE using), so it seems they don't need that .conf file if KDE is installed.

Still to do for the next one: Remove Shotwell, not really needed since Digikam's installed. Decide if I really want both Firefox and Pale Moon installed. Anyway, the ISO is still just over 1.3 GB, even with those duplicate purpose applications installed, as well as the great MX 15 xfce4 desktop and my attempt at a functional (though generic-appearing) KDE desktop.

Link: http://mxrepo.com/snapshots/MX15-x64_KD ... eb2016.iso

md5sum: c83d59e83acec7f781c21e4d4ce826d7

Edit: switch to snapshots repo link.
Last edited by Stevo on Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Jerry3904
Administrator

Re: Uploaded updated snapshot of my 64-bit xfce+KDE "respin"

#2 Post by Jerry3904 »

Can we find a way to give your remaster a generic name (as I do with the Manual link at mxum.html) so that the remaster webpage does not have to be redone every time you upgrade?
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Stevo
Developer

Re: Uploaded updated snapshot of my 64-bit xfce+KDE "respin"

#3 Post by Stevo »

That sounds like a very good idea; I'm open to suggestions. Is that implemented for Adrian's snapshots?

Edit: Do you mean just refer to it as "MX 15 KDE"? I've no problems doing that.

Jerry3904
Administrator

Re: MX 15 KDE February snapshot

#4 Post by Jerry3904 »

--Adrian's snapshots are stored in a single directory on mxrepo.com, so all the snapshot links just point to the directory and the user picks out the most recent one.

--Each new version of the User Manual is given the same name, mxum.html, when it is uploaded to the directory on mepiscommunity.org and the preceding one is removed, so the link on the Manuals tab always works.

I'm not sure what would work best for you, though mxrepo.com seems like a good place to start.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB

Stevo
Developer

#5 Post by Stevo »

Jerry3904 wrote:--Adrian's snapshots are stored in a single directory on mxrepo.com, so all the snapshot links just point to the directory and the user picks out the most recent one.

--Each new version of the User Manual is given the same name, mxum.html, when it is uploaded to the directory on mepiscommunity.org and the preceding one is removed, so the link on the Manuals tab always works.

I'm not sure what would work best for you, though mxrepo.com seems like a good place to start.
I'll send the link to Tim and see if he can add the ISO to the repo.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#6 Post by Jerry3904 »

Which repo? We don't want it mirrored, do we? I would suggest a new directory "remasters" if Tim thinks that would work.

Utopia
Administrator

#7 Post by Utopia »

It's working fine.
Deserves a little bit of polish. Only looked at kde and found a lot of old stuff in klipper. And lancelot has /home/steve and some recently used documents. Could be more stuff hiding in there.
Only tested live, the traces of the developer probably disappear when you install and create a new user.
Henry

Stevo
Developer

#8 Post by Stevo »

That history must have been copied into /etc/skel when I copied the ~/.kde folder into it so my customizations would be installed. I don't think there's anything important in my history there, it's probably extremely boring, in fact. :frown: I'll see if I can remove those, though.

Any thoughts about the appearance? I stuck with the good old generic Oxygen style and icons, but I was itching to use one of the Kvantum styles (installed by default). Dark or light?

Utopia
Administrator

#9 Post by Utopia »

I think it looks good as it is. A nice balance between tradition and new stuff. Beautiful wallpaper.
Henry

Stevo
Developer

#10 Post by Stevo »

I'm also using the "adjustable clock" widget in the taskbar instead of the standard digital clock--it allows for more tinkering with the appearance, IMO.

Return to “MX Respins”