Welcome!
Forum users

Current releases
--MX-23 release info here
--Migration information to MX-23 here
--antiX-23.1 (Arditi del Popolo) release info here

Important information
--If in starting your system it boots to an unwanted Desktop, right click desktop, then select leave and logout. At the
login screen there is a session chooser at the top of the screen.

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- New Forum Features, Marking Solved and Referencing a User: here

MX-15 - favorite KDE tweaks

Help on all MX Re-spins
Stevo
Developer

Re: MX-15 - favorite KDE tweaks

#91 Post by Stevo »

Another tweak if you want to launch something like Gparted from the KDE menu that uses pkexec for root access, you'll need to have polkit-kde-1 installed.

joejac

#92 Post by joejac »

Hello to all,

I am very pleased with KDE MX Linux. I noticed that Dolphin File Manager do not update the contents of a directory when copying or deleting a file or other sub-directory, I have to click Reload or (F5), Thunar does this automatically. I do not know if it it is my fault and I missed some Dolphin initial configuration, because I come from Mint Cinnamon and I used Nemo (very simple and friendly by the way). I love Linux because we get good options.

Any way, I was able to run Xara Photo & Graphics Designer 2013 in Wine in KDE, it is a bonus to me, I was not expecting it to run, it has some display problems and it is very slow to load at the start up, but I can do my basic stuff, like Magic Clone, etc. But I have noticed that in XFCE it is very difficult to load Xara.

One thing that it is extremely difficult is to assign a program to Favorites in the KDE menu, I right clic and clicked in the Add to Favorites button(+), but of 15 attempts I succeeded only one time.

I do not have problems with the program icons in the task bar in KDE, I have to look how to put the task bar vertical left. The widgets are very nice I have my own task bar with my main programs.

So very nice work done with KDE desktop, I love it.
Regards
joejac

Jerry3904
Administrator

#93 Post by Jerry3904 »

Just a reminder to everyone that "KDE MX Linux" is not an official release of MX Linux, and is therefore not officially supported.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

joejac

#94 Post by joejac »

Ok understood, please forgive me I am MX newbie, and yes someone told me this in a recent post, sorry, but how good it is this "KDE not officially supported MX".
Jerry3904 wrote:Just a reminder to everyone that "KDE MX Linux" is not an official release of MX Linux, and is therefore not officially supported.
As a suggestion, why don't make a survey if KDE is liked in the MX community?
Best regards
joejac

Jerry3904
Administrator

#95 Post by Jerry3904 »

As a suggestion, why don't make a survey if KDE is liked in the MX community?
What would be the point? There are lots of good KDE distros out there, and it is not what we do--see the mission description on the Home pages for MX Linux and antiX, to whose family it belongs.

On top of that, we don't have the devs to develop and maintain a KDE version alongside a Xfce version. Individuals are free of course to do what they want with MX Linux for their own use, but personal remasters are not part of the distro MX Linux. If enough people are interested in developing and supporting KDE on a MX Linux base, then they could fork it and establish a separate path.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

joejac

#96 Post by joejac »

Thanks for the clarification Jerry3904, I got it. I was looking for a Debian distro without systemd and I have read good things about MX somewhere. I understand now MX it is only an XFCE distro. Unfortunately the "good KDE distros" have systemd as far as I know, KDE Mint has systemd.
Best regards
joejac

v3g4n

#97 Post by v3g4n »

joejac wrote:I noticed that Dolphin File Manager do not update the contents of a directory when copying or deleting a file or other sub-directory, I have to click Reload or (F5), Thunar does this automatically.
Hmm, not sure what's going on there, but it's working as expected here.

Stevo
Developer

#98 Post by Stevo »

The dolphin update bug was a thorn in my side all the way up to Debian Jessie's version, which is in the KDE MX 15 remaster, but the Jessie version doesn't have the bug for me. I still see it all the time in the older MEPIS virtual machines I use.

Joejac, does the live ISO show that bug?

joejac

#99 Post by joejac »

I have to check Stevo, give some time, I hope not having rewrote the DVD.
Thanks and regards.

lucky9

#100 Post by lucky9 »

The respin that Stevo makes available is pretty good. Some of us like to roll our own version. But Stevo has given directions as to what he has tried and reports etc. A sub-forum is set aside for unofficial support. Check manual and/or wiki for ideas. Plus don't forget the sub-forum
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

Return to “MX Respins”