Welcome!
Forum users

Current releases
--MX-23 release info here
--Migration information to MX-23 here
--antiX-23.1 (Arditi del Popolo) release info here

Important information
--If in starting your system it boots to an unwanted Desktop, right click desktop, then select leave and logout. At the
login screen there is a session chooser at the top of the screen.

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- New Forum Features, Marking Solved and Referencing a User: here

MX-15 - favorite KDE tweaks

Help on all MX Re-spins
richb
Administrator

Re: MX-15 - favorite KDE tweaks

#81 Post by richb »

Utopia wrote:One of the hidden reasons for tweaking kde is that my wife wants to use M11 forever. She says that any development is a step backwards because you must relearn everything.
Henry
Marriage security.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

DBeckett

#82 Post by DBeckett »

Utopia wrote:One of the hidden reasons for tweaking kde is that my wife wants to use M11 forever. She says that any development is a step backwards because you must relearn everything.
Henry
There's something to be said for that outlook. With the march of OS "progress" come new and useful methods and tweaks, but also some long-ago-learned ones fall by the wayside. It's a choice that must be made by each user.
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3, AMD FX-6100 hex-core, 3.3GHz, 8G, Radeon HD6570

Stevo
Developer

#83 Post by Stevo »

Has anyone with sound problems tried the new pulseaudio to see if that fixes it?

I just found that the Okular in Jessie can't open CBR files, because it can't use the unrar in Jessie. It's patched in upstream Okular, so I'm backporting that to see how that works.

Edit: The new Okular works as it should.
Last edited by Stevo on Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#84 Post by dolphin_oracle »

Stevo wrote:Has anyone with sound problems tried the new pulseaudio to see if that fixes it?

I just found that the Okular in Jessie can't open CBR files, because it can't use the unrar in Jessie. It's patched in upstream Okular, so I'm backporting that to see how that works.
i didn't try the new pulseaudio, but see the kde audio thread for some comments about the audio.

http://forum.mepiscommunity.org/viewtop ... 00#p378400
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

arjaybe

#85 Post by arjaybe »

Stevo wrote:Has anyone with sound problems tried the new pulseaudio to see if that fixes it?

I've just upgraded pulseaudio. Now I'll log out/in and see what happens.
Green Comet
Space particles.

uncle mark

#86 Post by uncle mark »

richb wrote:To offer a probable unpopular opinion; Right now I am of the opinion if you want KDE as your DE of choice, install an OS that offers it by default.

1. It will be fully supported.
2. Most of the niggles we are finding will not exist.

And I am not trying to drive people away from MX-15. Most current users, I believe, are happy with XFCE. (Anecdotal opinion).
If I can't get MX/KDE lined out, I'll give MX/Xfce a fair shot, but Mint KDE on the new Ub LTS is not far off.
Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia circa 2011 -- MX 19.2 KDE
Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX 21 KDE
Toshiba Satellite C55 -- MX 18.3 Xfce
Assorted Junk -- assorted Linuxes

asqwerth
Developer

#87 Post by asqwerth »

I am using Kanotix KDE for my KDE Debian distro - another old reliable name about Mepis's vintage.

They don't have an MX-tools equivalent but everything works fine and the repos do have updated kernels and various applications. And Kano's scripts help to optimise graphics performance. Even on my previous low-RAM, weak graphics card PC, I never had problems running Kanotix KDE complete with desktop effects. So many other KDE distros ground to a halt on that machine.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

richb
Administrator

#88 Post by richb »

Any reason not to move this into main? I have no CBR files to try but works fine on normal pdfs.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

timkb4cq
Developer

#89 Post by timkb4cq »

Nope. Was just waiting for a few people to test it out.
Moving now.
HP Pavillion TP01, AMD Ryzen 3 5300G (quad core), Crucial 500GB SSD, Toshiba 6TB 7200rpm
Dell Inspiron 15, AMD Ryzen 7 2700u (quad core). Sabrent 500GB nvme, Seagate 1TB

Stevo
Developer

#90 Post by Stevo »

I have found that the line added to your ~/.config/Trolltech.conf file by the same file in /etc/skel,

style=GTK+

Seems to cause appearance issues when changing styles in KDE (i.e. the old ugly Windows 95-like theme we knew and loved from MX 14.0). Changing GTK+ to Oxygen, then using systemsettings to manage the KDE appearance, seems to fix the issues.

Return to “MX Respins”