Welcome!
Forum users

Current releases
--MX-23 release info here
--Migration information to MX-23 here
--antiX-23.1 (Arditi del Popolo) release info here

Important information
--If in starting your system it boots to an unwanted Desktop, right click desktop, then select leave and logout. At the
login screen there is a session chooser at the top of the screen.

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- New Forum Features, Marking Solved and Referencing a User: here

MX-15 - favorite KDE tweaks

Help on all MX Re-spins
GregH

Re: MX-15 - favorite KDE tweaks

#101 Post by GregH »

joejac wrote:Thanks for the clarification Jerry3904, I got it. I was looking for a Debian distro without systemd and I have read good things about MX somewhere. I understand now MX it is only an XFCE distro. Unfortunately the "good KDE distros" have systemd as far as I know, KDE Mint has systemd.
Likewise, after some research I just yesterday found MX as a Debian-based distro without systemd and KDE support for my new laptop.
Looks like I was mistaken. Maybe I have to stick with Mint.
I have to say, I really do like MX-15 so far, once I figured out how to switch it into KDE.

chippy52

#102 Post by chippy52 »

[quote="I have to say, I really do like MX-15 so far, once I figured out how to switch it into KDE.[/quote]

When you reach the logon screen you will see 2 icons in the top right corner. Click on the left icon & switch to KDE.
MX-KDE-18.9_x64 KDE
AMD Ryzen7 2700, 8GB DDR4, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050, Samsung nvme2.0 SSD 950 evo 250GB, Seagate 1TB

lucky9

#103 Post by lucky9 »

The support is unofficial but there are several who are happy to answer queries in the 3 sub-forums dedicated to modified MX. I doubt you'll have a problem but if you do then just post in the sub-forum that concerns your situation. That would be KDE MX15.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

richb
Administrator

#104 Post by richb »

deleted posted in wrong forum
Last edited by richb on Fri May 13, 2016 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

lucky9

#105 Post by lucky9 »

I agree. It simply isn't necessary. There is plenty of information for those interested. And for those not very sure they want to go to the trouble, they have the default DE which is really superb. I certainly wouldn't think that the current situation should be changed. It just works.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

GregH

#106 Post by GregH »

As an experiment, I installed the April snapshot without KDE into a VM. Then I installed KDE through synaptic, and it worked. Of course it's lacking the customizations that were done to produce the "MX KDE" release, but it's usable and that's enough to reassure me I'll be able to use MX and KDE together, even if Stevo decides to move on to other things.

richb
Administrator

#107 Post by richb »

GregH wrote:As an experiment, I installed the April snapshot without KDE into a VM. Then I installed KDE through synaptic, and it worked. Of course it's lacking the customizations that were done to produce the "MX KDE" release, but it's usable and that's enough to reassure me I'll be able to use MX and KDE together, even if Stevo decides to move on to other things.
I did that as well some time ago and have customized to my preferences. Seldom use it however.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

joejac

#108 Post by joejac »

GregH wrote:
joejac wrote:Thanks for the clarification Jerry3904, I got it. I was looking for a Debian distro without systemd and I have read good things about MX somewhere. I understand now MX it is only an XFCE distro. Unfortunately the "good KDE distros" have systemd as far as I know, KDE Mint has systemd.
Likewise, after some research I just yesterday found MX as a Debian-based distro without systemd and KDE support for my new laptop.
Looks like I was mistaken. Maybe I have to stick with Mint.
I have to say, I really do like MX-15 so far, once I figured out how to switch it into KDE.
Hello GregH, I was using Linux Mint Debian LMD1 for 2 years, and I was happy, some problems with PDF printing, but in 2 years I had to decide to go to LMD2 with the problem of systemd for LMD3, so I installed KDE "unofficial not supported" MX 15 and I got excellent and fast help from the MX community, now I can print anything in my old HP printer with this MX 15 I use the KDE, I am happy, I would suggest you to try MX 15, installation is fast and it has many nice applications pre-installed. It even recognized at first shoot my emergency broadband mobile line, I did not have to configure anything. I even work with some Windows programs via Wine.

Best regards
joejac

Stevo
Developer

#109 Post by Stevo »

Oh, I didn't see that you got the printer working. Did you have to downgrade hplip from 3.16.3, or did you get that version working? Whether I downgrade that for the next KDE snapshot depends on some information.

joejac

#110 Post by joejac »

Stevo wrote:Oh, I didn't see that you got the printer working. Did you have to downgrade hplip from 3.16.3, or did you get that version working? Whether I downgrade that for the next KDE snapshot depends on some information.
Hello Stevo, sorry for my delay in responding your question, too many difficulties to resolve.
Please see the complete post to have the full picture:
http://forum.mepiscommunity.org/viewtop ... 23&t=39937

But in this post I describe the "temporal" solution that I am using. I suspect it is a problem with the PHLIP Deskject 845-C printer driver and also with the CUPS driver, I will suggest that do not downgrade the HPLIP of your wonderful KDE.
http://forum.mepiscommunity.org/viewtop ... 10#p386137

When the trial period of turboprint ends I will check something and I will inform you.

Best regards
joejac

Return to “MX Respins”