Welcome!
Forum users

Current releases
--MX-23 release info here
--Migration information to MX-23 here
--antiX-23.1 (Arditi del Popolo) release info here

Important information
--If in starting your system it boots to an unwanted Desktop, right click desktop, then select leave and logout. At the
login screen there is a session chooser at the top of the screen.

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- New Forum Features, Marking Solved and Referencing a User: here

MX-15 - favorite KDE tweaks

Help on all MX Re-spins
timkb4cq
Developer

KDE on MX-15, some observations

#1 Post by timkb4cq »

I installed KDE-full using the mx-packageinstaller, logged out, delected KDE and logged in. Most things worked fine.

I notice KDE will no longer let you, or an installer for a Windows program in Wine, add an icon to the desktop if widgets are locked. Makes sense, but I was wondering why the icon wasn't added as it always had been before.

Audio didn't work at first - except for vlc (sound was fine in XFCE). Phonon couldn't open any of the devices.
Installing phonon4qt5 fixed that issue.

The Dolphin & Firefox launchers that automatically came up in the taskbar were very small & I couldn't find any way to change their size - but you can add the icons to the taskbar from the menu and the new ones come up normal size. Deleted the minis & moved the new ones over into their spots.

I'd say having that having just those few issues is pretty darned good when adding a new DE to a distro based on quite a different one. Well done!

I do find the XFCE setup to quite usable, but it requires different habits than the ones I've acquired using KDE since 2002 so I'm glad that adding KDE is such an easy option.
HP Pavillion TP01, AMD Ryzen 3 5300G (quad core), Crucial 500GB SSD, Toshiba 6TB 7200rpm
Dell Inspiron 15, AMD Ryzen 7 2700u (quad core). Sabrent 500GB nvme, Seagate 1TB

Stevo
Developer

Re: KDE on MX-15, some observations

#2 Post by Stevo »

On my laptop, the default battery monitor in KDE 4.14 is no longer able to show the charge percentage in the taskbar without hovering the mouse over it, but going to "Get New Widgets" and installing Enhanced Battery Monitor fixed that. It seemed difficult to get rid of the standard one until I dragged it to the desktop and closed it there.

mmikeinsantarosa
Developer

MX-15 - favorite KDE tweaks

#3 Post by mmikeinsantarosa »

For those who do put either KDE full or lite on top of MX, what are your favorite tweaks?

I haven't played too much with this and would like to try tricks that work for others.

thanks - Mike
LT: MX19.1 Quad Core model: Intel Core i7-6820HQ Kernel: 5.0.0-7.1-liquorix-amd64 x86_64

Jerry3904
Administrator

Re: MX-15 - favorite KDE tweaks

#4 Post by Jerry3904 »

Moved Tim's and Stevo's post over here.

And: can I ask somebody else to add a section to the Wiki article on KDE when this thread is done?
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

richb
Administrator

#5 Post by richb »

I am not running KDE but did install dolphin within XFCE. I would add the root actions menu to dolphin on your KDE install.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

entropyfoe

#6 Post by entropyfoe »

to timkb4cq

Thanks for the tip on the KDE sound.

I installed the new MX-15 over my Mepis 11.92 beta with a tear in my eye.
I thought MX is so solid now and I am getting slowly up to speed on all the xfce stuff that it can replace Mepis 12. I instaledl the KDE with the MX installer in an experimental partition (sda4). All looked OK at first glance, but then the sound did not work.

Argh. I was busy installing and configuring on all my linux machines, so I thought I'll get back to this .

I will try the package phonon4qt5 that worked for you.
Thanks. I will spend time eventually to see if I can get the KDE up to Warren's level of polish.

-Jay
Asus PRIME X470-PRO
AMD Ryzen 3600X (12 threads @ 3.8 GHz)
32 Gig DDR4 3600 (Crucial CL 16)
Nvidia GeForce GT 710
Samsung 970 NVMe nvme0n1 P1-3=MX-23, P4=testing
Samsung 980 NVMe =1TB Data, plus 2TB WD =backups
on-board ethernet & sound

arjaybe

#7 Post by arjaybe »

I used the MX Tools Package Installer to install KDE-standard. The installation went without a hitch. The configuration has run into two speedbumps.

Some of the tooltips are hard to read, having light text on a light background. The tooltips on the items in System Settings, for example. I managed to make the tooltips legible on taskbar items by switching to slimglow, but I'm stuck on the other.

Kmail no longer has a switch for saving the password in the accounts settings. I used to be able to do away with kwallet and use that switch, but now there doesn't seem to be a way to set the password in kmail account settings without using kwallet. It's cumbersome and annoying, so I'd like to hear of any solutions.

Incidentally, I've noticed that resting RAM usage seems to be about double that on my KDE version of MX-14. I'm wondering if that might be due to using KDE-standard instead of KDE-lite.
Green Comet
Space particles.

zeeone

#8 Post by zeeone »

mmikeinsantarosa wrote:For those who do put either KDE full or lite on top of MX, what are your favorite tweaks?

I haven't played too much with this and would like to try tricks that work for others.

thanks - Mike
Apple 32 bit started with MX-15b2 XFCE, installed on 16 gig RC USB bootable, on top of MX installed KDE4 standard and MATE. One of
the first things I did to KDE4, was to load menuedit, used it to make the folders to move all of the non-KDE4 stuff to. Then
change the file formats over to Kwrite to load as the primary text editor. :popcorn:
Research, Research, Research, Before You Walk The Plank.
Registered Linux User # 398829

uncle mark

#9 Post by uncle mark »

arjaybe wrote:Some of the tooltips are hard to read, having light text on a light background. The tooltips on the items in System Settings, for example.
I can confirm. This is one of several things on my list to address this long weekend. I installed KDE just last night and did some initial tweaking and configging, but haven't spent a lot of time with it. I'm going to take this slow and easy, as I hope to make this install of MX15-KDE my default very soon and to use it for the foreseeable future.

All you KDEers, I'm putting you on notice -- I'm gonna be a pita.
Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia circa 2011 -- MX 19.2 KDE
Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX 21 KDE
Toshiba Satellite C55 -- MX 18.3 Xfce
Assorted Junk -- assorted Linuxes

zeeone

#10 Post by zeeone »

uncle mark wrote:
arjaybe wrote:Some of the tooltips are hard to read, having light text on a light background. The tooltips on the items in System Settings, for example.
I can confirm. This is one of several things on my list to address this long weekend. I installed KDE just last night and did some initial tweaking and configging, but haven't spent a lot of time with it. I'm going to take this slow and easy, as I hope to make this install of MX15-KDE my default very soon and to use it for the foreseeable future.

All you KDEers, I'm putting you on notice -- I'm gonna be a pita.
Just keep reading this post. :popcorn:
Research, Research, Research, Before You Walk The Plank.
Registered Linux User # 398829

Return to “MX Respins”