Dayum

Help on all MX Re-spins
uncle mark

Re: Dayum

#21 Post by uncle mark »

BitJam wrote:I'm sure there are many valid arguments for not wanting to go ahead with an MX-KDE iso.
I'd love to see it, but unless the project manager and all the other contributors are onboard it's wishful thinking on my part. You would know as much as anybody what the support of those actually doing the work might be. I can't imagine any community members having an objection to the developers doing whatever they want to do.

My comments weren't intended to bring this touchy subject up again; rather, they were to point out that for me, the lack of an official MX-KDE spin isn't the serious inhibitor I thought it would be for me to use MX in the future as my mainstay.
Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia circa 2011 -- MX 19.2 KDE
Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX 21 KDE
Toshiba Satellite C55 -- MX 18.3 Xfce
Assorted Junk -- assorted Linuxes

GuiGuy

#22 Post by GuiGuy »

Three MX contributors seem to be in favour of a KDE version of MX although the project leader is not keen?
Personally I would welcome it. However I am not competent to do the work or even to judge the magnitude of the task.
Would be interesting to hear fom the other contributors.

anticapitalista
Developer

#23 Post by anticapitalista »

At this moment in time (and for the foreseeable future), not interested.
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

richb
Administrator

#24 Post by richb »

GuiGuy wrote:.......... in favour of a KDE version of MX although the project leader is not keen?
I do not think we have heard from Jerry yet.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

Jerry3904
Administrator

#25 Post by Jerry3904 »

Three MX contributors seem to be in favour of a KDE version of MX although the project leader is not keen?
The question is not about whether to produce an MX-KDE or whether Rich or anybody else likes the idea or not, it's about who will do the work. I have repeatedly posted guidelines about how that would need to be done, and others have described how to take care of the technical side.

But the Devs who produced MX-14 have for the most part shown no interest in taking on MX-KDE as well--I doubt that BJ's enthusiasm extends that far... So it would need to be a Community project to a Community project, requiring most of all someone to organize it. And so far no one has been willing to take ownership of the proto-project so it still sits in limbo. And gets talked about every month or so.

Joany's list is a good start. Someone needs to start to pull together a complete list of the steps the group wants to take to get from MX-14 to MX-KDE, then it will be possible to look for the technical means to make it happen.

As for me: I am not against the idea, I am just against having to work on it.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

timkb4cq
Developer

#26 Post by timkb4cq »

I think a KDE respin would be a fine project for someone - after MX-15 is complete. That way a more up-to-date KDE can be used.
The older the wheezy base gets the harder it is to backport to.

Like Danum's old MEPIS respins, it could be (and probably would have to be) accomplished without aid from most of the dev team. But it's not all that complex to do, just a bit fiddly getting the configurations right.
HP Pavillion TP01, AMD Ryzen 3 5300G (quad core), Crucial 500GB SSD, Toshiba 6TB 7200rpm
Dell Inspiron 15, AMD Ryzen 7 2700u (quad core). Sabrent 500GB nvme, Seagate 1TB

uncle mark

#27 Post by uncle mark »

timkb4cq wrote:I think a KDE respin would be a fine project for someone - after MX-15 is complete. That way a more up-to-date KDE can be used.
It would be silly to expend a bunch of time and effort on a Wheezy base.
timkb4cq wrote:But it's not all that complex to do, just a bit fiddly getting the configurations right.
I'm convinced you would do a great job. :p
Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia circa 2011 -- MX 19.2 KDE
Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX 21 KDE
Toshiba Satellite C55 -- MX 18.3 Xfce
Assorted Junk -- assorted Linuxes

richb
Administrator

#28 Post by richb »

Perhaps I have been misinterpreted or my words in-artfully presented by me.. If someone cares to re-spin an MX KDE I really have no objections. I feel it should be the Jessie version which is at 4.14.0, but that would be up to he/she who does it, or leads a team. What bothered me was the implication it be a current Development Team effort. I see little appetite for that and in my opinion would divert from MX-15 or future MX xfce development.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

asqwerth
Developer

#29 Post by asqwerth »

This is just a stop-gap measure or compromise, but perhaps it can be prominently announced in the Forum "Site Announcements" window as well as on the MX14 official page that MX14 is an XFCE distro but that there is a simple way to add the KDE desktop to MX that brings back some of the Mepis feel and goodness for Mepis/KDE fans.

Then the link to the "add KDE to MX14" documentation can be provided.

Considering SolydXK's developer has just announced that he will only maintain the 64-bit version of SolydX and K once Jessie becomes stable, and a key forum moderator has also stepped down, there could be 32-bit computer users looking for other KDE distros running on Debian Stable that are efficient, stable and work well on older computers. If it's also made more prominent that there is good community support in the forum in general, and even a subforum for users who've converted their MX to KDE, this might increase their interest in MX14, unconverted or not.

NB. I use and like my 32-bit SolydX HE installation. Just feeling a little sad that the number of supported Solyd versions has shrunk, yet again.

Utopia
Administrator

#30 Post by Utopia »

You must have a lot of time to spend on the project, if you want to make a KDE respin. It will need support for years. Most people don't have that much time.
Henry

Return to “MX Respins”