Dayum

Help on all MX Re-spins
richb
Administrator

Re: Dayum

#41 Post by richb »

Stevo wrote:It's me that's building the extra 64-bit packages, just in case some does want to do a respin. They only take a minute or so.

How about those Italian KDE MX respins done with systemback by just one guy? You have to use the special installer, but they seem to work really well.

I don't why people seem to think that the KDE desktop is necessary to run KDE apps, or anything like that, though. You can run the newer xfce4 and MX apps in KDE, after all.
I am running Dolphin in MX-14. Just about everything works.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

Danum

#42 Post by Danum »

anticapitalista wrote:
Danum wrote:
kmathern wrote:MX-14 isn't available in a 64bit version. (I don't know if we have plans to offer a 64bit version of MX-15 or not)
I am aware MX is only 32bit, just as I am aware that the majority of KDE users in the big wide world use 64bit, and walk away from a distro if only 32bit
KDE is available
So, Danum, based on what you wrote and based on the fact that MX-14 is only 32 bit (and there are no plans atm for a 64 bit version), why bother building a kde deb for the mx-packageinstaller?
It would still not be as nice as being able to test KDE on a live medium, but it would reduce the trouble people have with customization, setting default apps to open stuff, having duplicated apps that do the same thing (xfburn and k3b, okular and qpdfview, Leafpad and Kedit) and the like.
I should have been more explicit, I am offering to build a CD/DVD with KDE on and only KDE, as for a 64bit version it would not be a true MX based system, but it would provide a 64bit system for those who want to use it,
with regards to a mx-packageinstaller, xfce does not interest me one bit, least of all a 32bit system.
That all about choice, and my choice is KDE as it has been for a lot of years.
I should add if there are objections, then it will not happen, end off.
Desktop.
Zalman Z11 Plus ATX PC Tower, AMD FX 8350 Black Edition Vishera, 8 Core 4.4 GHz, Kingston HyperX FURY Red 16GB, Nvidia GT740 Graphics, Pioneer BDR-209EBK Writer, 2 x Seagate 1TB SSHD SATA Hybrid Hard Drives. ASUS VS278Q 27 inch HD Monitor

Adrian
Developer

#43 Post by Adrian »

I should add if there are objections
I cannot understand how somebody could object to what you do in your free time. They are free not to use it if they are not interested.

richb
Administrator

#44 Post by richb »

Adrian wrote:
I should add if there are objections
I cannot understand how somebody could object to what you do in your free time. They are free not to use it if they are not interested.
Agree.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

anticapitalista
Developer

#45 Post by anticapitalista »

Danum - glad you were more explicit so there is no confusion. You are offerring a debian jessie kde iso. Good on you.

My question is, how is that connected to MX? Are you going to use the MX live tools? I'm not being snarky, just asking what you plan to do.
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

namida12

#46 Post by namida12 »

Stevo wrote:It's me that's building the extra 64-bit packages, just in case some does want to do a respin. They only take a minute or so.

I don't why people seem to think that the KDE desktop is necessary to run KDE apps, or anything like that, though. You can run the newer xfce4 and MX apps in KDE, after all.
I understand there are only so many hours in a day for development, and this community is composed of helpful and loyal AntiX and Mepis users.

I never tell anyone that is trying MX-14.2 Linux that it is a 32 bit, the few I explained it was a really fast 32 bit system, used MX as a CD or USB stick for a bit and went on to another distro, or mostly moved on to a 64 bit Win7 Operating System. 64 bit has become ingrained in a great number of minds that it is always better and faster. I wish we had a 64-bit MX-14.X system, but am ecstatic to use the quick stable 32-bit MX-14.2 operating system.

Stevo, I always was under the impression I needed a KDE operating system to install KDE Apps. I will install K3B tonight and see how much it slows down this vista era system.

Maybe in the future I will gather up the resolve to experiment and put xface4 on a 64-bit AntiX, to see it how that performs on this hardware.

JR

Gordon Cooper

#47 Post by Gordon Cooper »

namida12 wrote:
Stevo, I always was under the impression I needed a KDE operating system to install KDE Apps. I will install K3B tonight and see how much it slows down this vista era system.

JR
Have been running K3B on MX-14 with xfce, plus a couple of other KDE apps, ever since MX first appeared. No problems, sure a bit more
space is needed on the drive, but I prefer this to using MX with a KDE front-end.
Backup: Dell9010, MX-19_B2, Win7, 120 SSD, WD 232GIB HD, 4GB RAM
Primary :Homebrew64 bit Intel duo core 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Kingston SSD, Seagate1TB.
MX-18.2 64bit. Also MX17, Kubuntu14.04 & Puppy 6.3.

Adrian
Developer

#48 Post by Adrian »

KDE apps apps run fine on Xfce only that they bring a lot of dependencies and I guess potentially undesired services, I'm not sure if some packages bring Nepomuk but I for one have not desire to run Nepomuk when I run Xfce...

It's nice not to combine packages from different DEs, it keeps dependencies to the minimum and the programs shares libraries so they will use less memory when running together, and they will also have the same look and feeling.

antiX-Dave
Developer

#49 Post by antiX-Dave »

namida12 wrote: Maybe in the future I will gather up the resolve to experiment and put xface4 on a 64-bit AntiX, to see it how that performs on this hardware.

JR
Quickest, easiest, and possibly dirtiest way to do this imo is to use dpkg to export the selections on your current 32 bit mx and copy the repo lists. Then install antiX core 64 bit, add your copied repos, import your selections with dpkg, apt update and dist-upgrade, reboot. If all goes well you should be in a pretty close clone of mx 32 bit.

Edit you will need to remove and add your regular user back to get the config to your home directory as cleanly as possible.

Naturally for a kde respin you could do the same however before importing the selections remove all the xfce references and add kde ones possibly from m12? Of course you should really take most of what is in / etc / skel and or / home / user from m12 and move it into a deb under deb file/etc/skel. That way you should have a configuration deb for kde like there is for mx xfce

This may be fairly simplified but it is an option for a kde respin.

lucky9

#50 Post by lucky9 »

arjaybe wrote:
lucky9 wrote:I have an installation of antiX 13-64 bit that I'm thinking of trying out with KDE Standard and those tweaks.
Let us know how this goes.
With a new installation of antiX 13.2_64 on a 35 GB partition I used the antiX Package Manager to install KDE-Standard. With very few tweaks I had a close twin of Mepis 12.

I experimented before the above trying to install manually KDE-Standard using Synaptic. For some reason this caused the video to go wonkers and all I could get was 1024x768 (or below) as a resolution. I tried several times. And it was not even covering my LCD screen. I lost two inches width and about an inch in height. Nothing I could do, including inserting a known good configuration file would cover any more of the LCD, nor would the resolution change. Somebody that has way more technological 'chops' will have to give an explanation. I have no clue. Something in the .kde folder perhaps? I regret that I didn't try deleting it to see of that was the cause.

(After the first installation was complete I copied the /var/cache/apt/archives to a FlashDrive so I wouldn't have to download everything more than once. Total download for KDE-Standard was a little over 300 MB. Updating the entire installation was a little over 100 MB.)

As a side project I tried to install the MX-Package-Manager. Synaptic said I had broken packages which it was not able to fix. However the antiX Package Manager has very similar options. As a matter of fact they may well be the same. The Mate DE (and other DEs) is there along with Opera and Chromium and several other Browsers. Plus the other categories seem the same. From memory, there doesn't appear to be any difference at all.

For those who prefer K3b as a burning program, you'll have to install it separately as KDE-Standard does not include it. Plus there are a lot of things that end up in a debian Menu entry. Most are elsewhere also. But there are a few that need to be moved. To my mind anyway.

I should note that I still have a problem using GnomePPP to get online using my 3G Modem as User. I have to login as root and get online to download KPPP. Logout and Login as User. Open KPPP and try and get online (which fails), then open GnomePPP and it will allow my User to get online. Since this worked I never delved any deeper into why it was necessary.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

Return to “MX Respins”