Messed up clock setting

Help on all MX Re-spins
Topher

Messed up clock setting

#1 Post by Topher »

I am running MX-14.2 with KDE and somehow in the past few days have somehow messed up the time that is shown on the panel. It shows up 5 hours ahead of my time zone, or UTC time, which the BIOS has. When I right click on the time and choose to adjust the date/time, the clock in that popup box has the correct time zone and the clock in that box shows the correct local time. How do I change what is showing up in the panel to be the same as shown in that popup box?
I have googled for an answer but am not getting anywhere.

Jerry3904
Administrator

Re: Messed up clock setting

#2 Post by Jerry3904 »

There is a TimeSet app (found by typing the word time in the top search box) that might work, not sure. Image of menu attached, pretty handy.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

uncle mark

#3 Post by uncle mark »

Going by memory (scary)...

In System Settings> Localization (or something like that) look around for something that says "Computer uses UTC" or some such and toggle it. Might require a logout/login or reboot.
Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia circa 2011 -- MX 19.2 KDE
Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX 21 KDE
Toshiba Satellite C55 -- MX 18.3 Xfce
Assorted Junk -- assorted Linuxes

Topher

#4 Post by Topher »

Jerry3904 - That time set app doesn't do anything for the KDE time app.
uncle mark - I don't see anything in Local to set the time to UTC or local, just 24 hour or AM/PM.
KDE does its own thing and that is what I have been trying to find using google. My google-fu isn't too good.
I wouldn't mind getting rid of that widget as the day and date is too tiny to see and just using the conky Gothem widget as it shows the date in a bigger format. But that won't go all the way to the right side of the screen. It stops about where the panel clock starts and I would like for it to move more to the right.

edit: Right Click the clock -> Adjusting the settings -> Checking the Show Time Zone box will change the time shown to local time.

Topher

#5 Post by Topher »

Following up on this - Is there a way to choose a different font size for the date? It is so tiny I need a magnifying glass to read it, so it is useless to display it.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#6 Post by Jerry3904 »

What date? Can you take a screen shot?

You remember that you can double click the clock to get an Orage calendar, right? (> QuickStart Doc)
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Topher

#7 Post by Topher »

I am using the KDE panel clock. I edited the short date format in System Settings -> Local-> Date & Time. When what you want showing is long, it makes the font size smaller to fit in the space. So when I edited the format and choose 1st three charactors of the day and month and no year, it made the date length smaller so the font size could be bigger. I don't know where else short date format is used, so I may get repercussions some where else.

Return to “MX Respins”