File time stamps running 7 hours ahead

Help on all MX Re-spins
Utopia
Administrator

Re: File time stamps running 7 hours ahead

#21 Post by Utopia »

What is utopia?
My Swedish time zone shouldn't influence the /etc/adjtime. It's only for the System clock, not Hardware clock or Time zone.
Henry

Gaer Boy

#22 Post by Gaer Boy »

Joany - I don't think your change can have made the difference. The /etc/adjtime file has only one purpose, as I understand it - to provide the figures for correcting the drift of the hardware clock. This happens on each boot, provided that more than a day or so has elapsed since the last setting. The simplest description of the file contents I've come across is:
There is a text file, /etc/adjtime, which contains the parameters for adjusting the hardware clock's systematic drift. A sample /etc/adjtime file is given below:

Code: Select all

0.000000 1318745722 0.000000
LOCAL
There are three lines in the /etc/adjtime file. The first line has three numbers. The first number is the systematic drift per day in seconds and is a floating point decimal number. The second number is the number of seconds since 1969 UTC timestamp at the time of last calibration or adjustment, a decimal integer. The third number on the first line is zero and is a part of this file for compatibility with the clock program. In the second line of /etc/adjtime, there is a single decimal integer, a timestamp, number of seconds since 1969 UTC of the last calibration of the hardware clock. On the third and the last line there is a string UTC or LOCAL indicating whether the time in hardware clock is UTC or localtime.
So I think that your change to Utopia's settings will be reversed on next boot. I can think of no explanation for your 7-hour timestamp discrepancy, although I seem to remember something about mixing UTC & LOCAL time settings resulting in an offset twice the actual offset.

Phil

Gigabyte B550I Aorus Pro AX, Ryzen 5 5600G, 16GB, 250GB Samsung SSD (GPT), 2x1TB HDD (MBR), MX-21-AHS
Lenovo Thinkpad X220, dual-core i5, 4MB, 120GB Samsung SSD (GPT), MX-21

joany

#23 Post by joany »

kmathern wrote: Does it survive a reboot?
Yes it did. I created a text file, checked the time stamp, rebooted and checked the time stamp again.
Gaer Boy wrote: So I think that your change to Utopia's settings will be reversed on next boot. I can think of no explanation for your 7-hour timestamp discrepancy, although I seem to remember something about mixing UTC & LOCAL time settings resulting in an offset twice the actual offset.
I understand your rationale. I'm puzzled too.

@Utopia
Thanks for the link. It was helpful.

===============

Okay, I think I know what happened. I may have had a major brain cramp when I started this thread. There were two files that had a 7-hour time stamp discrepancy; I created them last night with Acronis imaging software running from a Live CD and not from MX-14. So the time stamp problem wasn't related to MX-14 at all. I'm pretty sure that files that are created or modified under MX-14 all have the right time stamp after all. I should have realized that and checked it out.

I'll see if changing the /etc/adjtime file has any effect on time stamps created by Acronis running off-line, but it probably won't since the hardware clock was unaffected. :embarrassed:
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

uncle mark

#24 Post by uncle mark »

joany wrote:Okay, I think I know what happened. I may have had a major brain cramp when I started this thread.
That's the kind of PEBKAC that would make DBeckett proud.
Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia circa 2011 -- MX 19.2 KDE
Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX 21 KDE
Toshiba Satellite C55 -- MX 18.3 Xfce
Assorted Junk -- assorted Linuxes

Richard

#25 Post by Richard »

ahhh, nice to know I'm in good company. :p
Thinkpad T430 & Dell Latitude E7450, both with MX-21.3.1
kernal 5.10.0-26-amd64 x86_64; Xfce-4.18.0; 8 GB RAM
Intel Core i5-3380M, Graphics, Audio, Video; & SSDs.

Gordon Cooper

#26 Post by Gordon Cooper »

joany wrote:Maybe I should set my time zone to a Pacific island? Just kidding.
If you chose Fiji or Western Samoa Joany, you would be a day ahead of nearly everybody.

Return to “MX Respins”