Crashes due to Bleachbit?

Help on all MX Re-spins
sps7

Crashes due to Bleachbit?

#1 Post by sps7 »

Since I'm so fond of KDE, I installed MX-14 and then followed the steps so that I'd be using KDE as desktop, etc.

I've installed both $ bleachbit and # bleachbit (or they came in with the installation of the OS). Running sweeper first, I then run both bleachbits just before shutting down my computer. I get these crashes due to one of the two bleachbits:

"Plasma Desktop Shell - The KDE Crash Handler

We're sorry, Plasma Desktop Shell closed unexpectedly.

Details:
Executable: plasma-desktop PID: 3517
Signal: Bus error (7)"

I recall that this same bleachbit-causing-crashes problem occurred when, in the past, I had some older version of MEPIS. At that time, I removed bleachbit and installed temizlikci (a system cleaner not in any repo-- I think someone in Turkey created it-- see: http://bit.ly/1fVLnTJ ). I think bleachbit might be a more thorough cleaner than temizlikci.

Is there something I can change or fix in my system so that bleachbit doesn't cause crashes? [When this happened last night, the crash caused the loss of my desktop wallpaper.]
You possess only whatever will not be lost in a shipwreck.

- El-Ghazali

lucky9

Re: Crashes due to Bleachbit?

#2 Post by lucky9 »

There must be a trick to using BleachBit as I've never had it leave a system unmarred. I decided it 'cleans' way too much stuff. Things that are necessary for good functioning for instance.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

richb
Administrator

#3 Post by richb »

I have used bleachbit successfully, but did not enable most of the system cleaning. It can be a very dangerous app.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

joany

#4 Post by joany »

What timing! I just tried bleachbit with MX-14/KDE because usage my /home partition usage is creeping up slowly for no reason (before reading this thread). Big mistake. Some of my system settings were irreversibly altered. Fortunately, I had a very recent backup partition image of /home and didn't lose any data. I learned my lesson.
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

sps7

#5 Post by sps7 »

joany wrote:What timing! I just tried bleachbit with MX-14/KDE because usage my /home partition usage is creeping up slowly for no reason (before reading this thread). Big mistake. Some of my system settings were irreversibly altered. Fortunately, I had a very recent backup partition image of /home and didn't lose any data. I learned my lesson.
I'm sorry this happened to you Joany.

Yes, I removed bleachbit and will install again reliable, safe temizlikci which I mentioned in my first post in this thread and which never caused any crashes or troubles.

After several of these very recent bleachbit-caused crashes, I don't know yet if anything was lost in my system. I do have a full backup of /home on an external storage device and that backup was made before installing MX-14.

joany

#6 Post by joany »

Most systems have some folders, such as ~/.thumbnails, that keep accumulating unwanted files which slowly eat your HDD. There's a neat trick that can eliminate that problem: creating a symbolic link that points to /dev/null will make any files written to those folders disappear forever.

For example, to prevent files from accumulating in the hidden ~/.thumbnails folder, enter these commands in sequence:

rm -r ~/.thumbnails
ln -s /dev/null ~/.thumbnails

Unfortunately, although the ~/.thumbnails symlink exists after doing the above, it won't appear in any file manager. So you should keep a record of any symlinks directed at /dev/null so you can reverse the process if need be. To revert back to the hidden folder:

rm ~/.thumbnails

This will remove the symlink and the system will regenerate a new ~/.thumbnails folder automatically.

CAVEAT: Only use this method on folders that only contain files that the system does not actually need.
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

dyfi

#7 Post by dyfi »

That's a neat trick with the thumbnails. To remove mine I set up a cronjob.
Last edited by dyfi on Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#8 Post by Eadwine Rose »

I will look at that manually, thank you for the tip!
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-20-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

NGIB

#9 Post by NGIB »

Must be that KDE is sensitive as I have used BB for years without incident - but I have never used KDE and probably never will. I actually prefer LXDE but I'm a bit nervous that the merge with Razor-QT may produce something odd. XFCE seemed liked a safer bet for the near future.

I've run BB a few times on my new MX-14 install with zero issues. I like cleaning out "stuff" prior to making a snapshot...
Life's tough, it's tougher if you're stupid...

Return to “MX Respins”