HINT: Must Apply Font Settings for Apps Running as Root

Help on all MX Re-spins
joany

HINT: Must Apply Font Settings for Apps Running as Root

#1 Post by joany »

I previously made font settings for MX-14/KDE using System Settings (the details are in another thread). The fonts looked great, except when running "Dolphin as Superuser." (I made DaS by adding a second instance of Dolphin in KMenu with "Run as different user" checked in the Advanced tab.) The fonts within "Dolphin as Superuser" looked thin and anemic just like they did with the original font settings. It finally dawned on me that I needed to repeat the font setting changes for root as well as my user name.

I accomplished this by hitting Alt-F2 and entering "kdesu systemsettings." System Settings asked for my root password, and I repeated the same font settings that I made under my user name. After clicking Apply, the fonts now look the same across the board.
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

DBeckett

Re: HINT: Must Apply Font Settings for Apps Running as Root

#2 Post by DBeckett »

I've been tempted to do that on many occasions, but after thinking for a moment I've always left things as they are. I make enough mistakes as it is, and having a not-my-favorite font in a root dolphin helps to remind me where I am, minimizing self-inflicted chaos on my system.
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3, AMD FX-6100 hex-core, 3.3GHz, 8G, Radeon HD6570

joany

#3 Post by joany »

DBeckett wrote: 

I've been tempted to do that on many occasions, but after thinking for a moment I've always left things as they are. I make enough mistakes as it is, and having a not-my-favorite font in a root dolphin helps to remind me where I am, minimizing self-inflicted chaos on my system.
Very good point!! Here's another way: You could colorize your 'root' Dolphin windows using red tones while maintaining consistent fonts.
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+

DBeckett

#4 Post by DBeckett »

joany wrote:
DBeckett wrote: 

Very good point!! Here's another way: You could colorize your 'root' Dolphin windows using red tones while maintaining consistent fonts.
Clever idea. I have no clue how to do that.
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3, AMD FX-6100 hex-core, 3.3GHz, 8G, Radeon HD6570

joany

#5 Post by joany »

DBeckett wrote:quote]
Clever idea. I have no clue how to do that.
Well I haven't tried this, but I think you can run "kdesu systemsettings" from the Run panel (Alt+F2) and change the window background color from gray to red: Application Appearance > Colors > Colors > Window Background

What I don't know is whether changing window colors for root would also bleed over to the window color settings for your user name.
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+

lucky9

#6 Post by lucky9 »

I'm not sure about kdesu systemsettings, but in Mepis 11 you can (when logged in as root) make changes to Dolphin that won't bleed over to the User. Should be the same for MX I'd think.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

Danum

#7 Post by Danum »

joany wrote:I previously made font settings for MX-14/KDE using System Settings (the details are in another thread). The fonts looked great, except when running "Dolphin as Superuser." (I made DaS by adding a second instance of Dolphin in KMenu with "Run as different user" checked in the Advanced tab.) The fonts within "Dolphin as Superuser" looked thin and anemic just like they did with the original font settings. It finally dawned on me that I needed to repeat the font setting changes for root as well as my user name.

I accomplished this by hitting Alt-F2 and entering "kdesu systemsettings." System Settings asked for my root password, and I repeated the same font settings that I made under my user name. After clicking Apply, the fonts now look the same across the board.
You are using KDE4.8, and a lot of commands that worked in previous versions of KDE do not work 100% in 4.8 and versions after,
To open Dolphin as root you should be using, (then all apps opened in root will work as they should)

Code: Select all

kdesu dbus-launch dolphin
or to open system settings as root.

Code: Select all

ksesu dbus-launch systemsettings
Desktop.
Zalman Z11 Plus ATX PC Tower, AMD FX 8350 Black Edition Vishera, 8 Core 4.4 GHz, Kingston HyperX FURY Red 16GB, Nvidia GT740 Graphics, Pioneer BDR-209EBK Writer, 2 x Seagate 1TB SSHD SATA Hybrid Hard Drives. ASUS VS278Q 27 inch HD Monitor

greywolf

#8 Post by greywolf »

You are using KDE4.8, and a lot of commands that worked in previous versions of KDE do not work 100% in 4.8 and versions after,
To open Dolphin as root you should be using, (then all apps opened in root will work as they should)

Code:
kdesu dbus-launch dolphin

or to open system settings as root.

Code:
ksesu dbus-launch systemsettings

.....and to make life (typing) a little easier; add an alias to your ~/.bash_aliases file like:

alias kdl='kdesu dbus-launch'

then command just becomes

kdl systemsettings

When you have 'root' as a seperate user with its home at /root (ie non sudo) type setup, you should set all these things up for user and for root. I have different settings for lots of stuff, prompt, colors, aliases. It has it's own independent set of config options. It will not bleed over.

Greywolf.
It is about the Dragons - it was always about the Dragons!

Danum

#9 Post by Danum »

.....and to make life (typing) a little easier; add an alias to your ~/.bash_aliases file like:

kdl systemsettings
That is why it is better to setup access to both in Kmenu, so all you have to type is your root password,
Desktop.
Zalman Z11 Plus ATX PC Tower, AMD FX 8350 Black Edition Vishera, 8 Core 4.4 GHz, Kingston HyperX FURY Red 16GB, Nvidia GT740 Graphics, Pioneer BDR-209EBK Writer, 2 x Seagate 1TB SSHD SATA Hybrid Hard Drives. ASUS VS278Q 27 inch HD Monitor

greywolf

#10 Post by greywolf »

Danum wrote:

kdl systemsettings
That is why it is better to setup access to both in Kmenu, so all you have to type is your root password,
Quite so. That solution would not have occurred to me, being an old CLI junkie from way back! :) I don't even use a menu most of the time. A launch bar on one edge of the screen covers the 12 or so most common apps and the rest are usually keystroke shortcuts or aliases used through F2.

In any case, personal choice; options is the Linux way.

cheers,
greywolf.
It is about the Dragons - it was always about the Dragons!

Return to “MX Respins”