KDE on MX?

Help on all MX Re-spins
anticapitalista
Developer

Re: KDE on MX?

#41 Post by anticapitalista »

MX does have MEPIS tools (improved) , just not the MEPIS default KDE desktop.
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

joany

#42 Post by joany »

anticapitalista wrote:MX does have MEPIS tools (improved) , just not the MEPIS default KDE desktop.
That's great! As Pete_J said, those make MEPIS special and they are a great help to Linux novices.

Question: Are all of Warren's tools still available? I'm referring to the MEPIS System Tools and the Repair System Boot. I couldn't find that in my MX-14 test installation.
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

uncle mark

#43 Post by uncle mark »

joany wrote:
anticapitalista wrote:MX does have MEPIS tools (improved) , just not the MEPIS default KDE desktop.
That's great! As Pete_J said, those make MEPIS special and they are a great help to Linux novices.

Question: Are all of Warren's tools still available? I'm referring to the MEPIS System Tools and the Repair System Boot. I couldn't find that in my MX-14 test installation.
I don't think Warren ever updated his Boot Repair Tool for grub2 before he quit.
Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia circa 2011 -- MX 19.2 KDE
Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX 21 KDE
Toshiba Satellite C55 -- MX 18.3 Xfce
Assorted Junk -- assorted Linuxes

Jerry3904
Administrator

#44 Post by Jerry3904 »

No, he left it out of M11 and M12 betas. He also never worked on muser after about 2009.

MX-14 has completely reworked muser, and added the very handy MX-Flash and MX-Codecs that Warren never had. msystem we replaced with Grub-Customizer and Disk Manager, since there was no need (and no time) to rework it given that two such well-considered tools already existed.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

lucky9

#45 Post by lucky9 »

M11 still has the System Assistant for fixing GRUB.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

anticapitalista
Developer

#46 Post by anticapitalista »

lucky9 wrote:M11 still has the System Assistant for fixing GRUB.
But it is useless at best and dangerous to use in MEPIS12
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

ko

#47 Post by ko »

I have not missed the System Assistant at all. I experienced some problems with it, so I skipped using it.
It's quite easy to repair grub in the MBR (master boot record on bootdisk) or in the PBR (root partition boot record).
The only things you need to be sure of:

1. what is my bootdrive? Probably /dev/sda, but you should know which drive you boot from.

Code: Select all

su
password:
grub-install /dev/sda
2. what is my root partition? Suppose it is /dev/sda1, but -again- you should know that.

su
password:
grub-install /dev/sda1
In both cases follow up with running update-grub (as root)

update-grub
Ko Bros Linux User #312596.  MX14.4, MX14.3, Mepis 12, Debian 7, antiX 15, Peppermint 5...and sometimes Win7

joany

#48 Post by joany »

Jerry3904 wrote: MX-14 has completely reworked muser, and added the very handy MX-Flash and MX-Codecs that Warren never had.
Very nice, although I notice MX-Flash and MX-Codecs are not installed by default. Legal reasons, perhaps? Also, when I ran MX-Codecs there were errors. Does something else have to be enabled?

EDIT: Never mind. I ran MX-Codecs again, and the installation was successful. Temporary glitch, I guess.

The other thing I notice is that MX User Assistant and MX User Manger both open the same application. Are there supposed to be two different applications, or is the same application shown twice under two different names?
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

anticapitalista
Developer

#49 Post by anticapitalista »

joany are you using latest RC2 version?
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

kmathern
Developer

#50 Post by kmathern »

joany wrote:
Jerry3904 wrote: MX-14 has completely reworked muser, and added the very handy MX-Flash and MX-Codecs that Warren never had.
Very nice, although I notice MX-Flash and MX-Codecs are not installed by default. Legal reasons, perhaps? Also, when I ran MX-Codecs there were errors. Does something else have to be enabled?

EDIT: Never mind. I ran MX-Codecs again, and the installation was successful. Temporary glitch, I guess.

The other thing I notice is that MX User Assistant and MX User Manger both open the same application. Are there supposed to be two different applications, or is the same application shown twice under two different names?
MX-Flash and MX-Codecs are installed by default in RC2, have you installed RC2?

A while back I think you did a install of either Beta 1 or Beta 2, but just upgrading wouldn't necessarily bring in those apps.

That might also explain why you have both 'MX User Assistant' and 'MX User Manager'. During development the app name changed to 'MX User manager' (installed by the mx-user package) and that's the only one you should see listed in the Whiskermenu of a RC2 install.

Return to “MX Respins”