-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

MX 15/16 Repository: The YACReader Thread

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

MX 15/16 Repository: The YACReader Thread

#1 Post by Stevo » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:52 pm

We now have YACReader (Yet Another Comic Reader) 0.8.5 in the main repository. It also supports PDF and various bitmap files:

Code: Select all

...a wide variety of comic files and image types. rar, zip, cbr, cbz, tar, pdf, 7z and cb7, jpeg, gif, png, tiff and bmp.
Installing "yacreader", which is a Qt 5 app and should not bring in hardly any new dependencies besides libunarr, actually installs the reader itself plus a powerful YACReader Library app, both of which appear in the Graphics submenu. IMO, it lives up to its claim to be the best comic viewer, and it also gives the best PDF viewers a run for their money. Plus it has that eye candy coverflow animation!

It's also in the MX 17 main repo for any testers or AntiX 17 users. I can probably build it for the M12/MX users if there is any demand for it.

YACReader Library managing a magazine PDF collection

Basically, the package is rebuilt from their sources on the openSUSE Build Service, except I went through and fixed whatever jarring English mispellings I could find via a patch. For example, when you first start the Library app, you no longer get the message that you haven't created any "librariries" yet. Please let me know if you find any more so I can fix those too.

skidoo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: MX 15/16 Repository: The YACReader Thread

#2 Post by skidoo » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:26 pm

I'm looking forward to trying it. The yacreader.com blahblahmuchmanywords page nearly put me to sleep.
I didn't grasp how slick the app is (and library features) until I found youtube videos, like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIKRwL7dPMg&start=93

To search within PDFs, I'm currently using recoll & am curious to see whether the YACR library search feature is as fast/thorough.

http://mxrepo.com/mx/repo/pool/main/y/yacreader/

http://yacreader.com/forum

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#3 Post by Stevo » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:36 pm

I think that YACReader just converts the PDF to a bitmap and puts that up on the screen, which basically is all you need for comics, so searching text within or copying text and images out of the PDF will not work. A Debian user that discovered YAC from my post has asked that the Library application allow PDFs to be opened with external programs such as MasterPDF; but that's up to the developer, or someone that knows enough Qt 5 to add that feature themselves.

skidoo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#4 Post by skidoo » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:04 pm

ah, the onscreen dialog seen in the video @1:57 mentions "importing... creating a library could take several minutes"
which led me to infer that the import generated a search index. Reviewing the video, I now notice (@2:14) the per-title metadata shown in the UI is limited to:
filename + #pages + read: y/n + CurrentPage (bookmark?) + Rating (1-5)

Thanks for packaging it; I'll post back after testdriving.

edited to add:
Given the reader's nice mouse-controlled zoom feature(s), I can understand how it would appeal to folk reading digital comics.
For PDFs though, I'll pass. Unless I missed something during my brief testdrive, it apparently lacks support for text selection copy/paste. For my use, that's a dealbreaker.

selmf
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#5 Post by selmf » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:30 am

Stevo wrote: Basically, the package is rebuilt from their sources on the openSUSE Build Service, except I went through and fixed whatever jarring English mispellings I could find via a patch. For example, when you first start the Library app, you no longer get the message that you haven't created any "librariries" yet. Please let me know if you find any more so I can fix those too.
Protip: Giving feedback and providing patches to upstream is an excellent way to make sure your work will not only benefit all users of a software but it will also save you additional work in the future. Feel free to send PR on https://bitbucket.org/luisangelsm/yacreader/ or give feedback on the YACReader forum (http://www.yacreader.com/forum).

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#6 Post by Stevo » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:14 pm

9.0.0 release candidate 1 is now available in the testing repository.

selmf
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#7 Post by selmf » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:54 am

selmf wrote: Protip: Giving feedback and providing patches to upstream is an excellent way to make sure your work will not only benefit all users of a software but it will also save you additional work in the future. Feel free to send PR on https://bitbucket.org/luisangelsm/yacreader/ or give feedback on the YACReader forum (http://www.yacreader.com/forum).
I'm not quite sure how to word this right, but … I'm sorry. My comment was unnecessary snarky and passive-aggressive towards Stevo. The only explanation I can give is that I was both very happy and a bit frustrated at that time to see my packages being picked up, yet not receiving the downstream feedback on some of the issues contained within. I vented some of that frustration on Stevo, which wasn't the right thing to do. Stevo has not only overlooked my blunder, he also provided the feedback I asked for and gave me some valuable hints to improve the packaging process as a whole.

So … sorry for being such a klutz to Stevo and the community here. I'd be happy to continue to work together to improve the "YACReader experience".

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#8 Post by Stevo » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:20 pm

No problem!

I see that the Windows version is using some Chromium-derived type of PDF renderer that's supposed to be a lot faster, but that's not available in Linux because no one has built it? Is that right?

selmf
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#9 Post by selmf » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:36 pm

Yes, that is more or less right. I have a working package for ArchLinux, but the whole build process is very much non-standard, so I'm not even sure where to start to create a .deb package.

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#10 Post by Stevo » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:49 pm

Almost always, if it can be manually compiled from source on Debian, then it can be built as a proper deb package. The critical things are getting the proper build-depends and any extra configuration that the build needs into the packaging instructions.

Return to “Package Requests/Status - MX-15/16”