Welcome!

Please read this important information about MX sources lists.
News
  • MX Linux on social media: here
  • Mepis support still here
Current releases
  • MX-17 RC1 release info here
  • MX-16.1 release info here
  • antiX-17 release info here
    New users
    • Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
    • Read Forum Rules

[NOT FEASIBLE] MX-16/MX-16.1: Please upgrade Marble to the latest version

MX-16_fan
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

[NOT FEASIBLE] MX-16/MX-16.1: Please upgrade Marble to the latest version

#1 Postby MX-16_fan » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:46 am

"Marble is a virtual globe and world atlas" (https://marble.kde.org/). It is under active development, interacts nicely with OpenStreetMaps, and there is a "-qt (no KDE dependencies)" GUI available. It also offers some routing features.

Unfortunately the version we (Debian) have in the repo apprently is several years old, and e.g. I never got the maps downloading feature of this old version to work.

So, if possible, I would be grateful if the current version could be upgraded to the latest version. Source code is here: https://marble.kde.org/sources.php. If you click on the "Help me choose the right branch" button, you will see which branch leads you to the latest stable version (unfortunately I don't quite get what their explanations mean).

Build instructions are on https://marble.kde.org/sources.php, too (you have to click "Qt" in order to get the right ones).

It would be great to have i18n files available for localization also, if available.

Btw. there's something I find weird with the version we currently have anyway. In "Help -> About Marble Virtual Globe" it identifies as "Marble virtual globe 1.9.2 (stable release) - Using Marble Library version 0.19.2 (stable release)", whereas package numbers in Synaptic show you "4:4.14.2-1". Maybe the latter is due to KDE conventions.

Greetings, and many thanks in advance for looking into this, Joe
Last edited by MX-16_fan on Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: MX-16/MX-16.1: Please upgrade Marble to the latest version

#2 Postby Jerry3904 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:16 am

We will be having an early version of MX-17 out probably within a month or so, and Marble 4:16.08.3-1 is available in Stretch, nearly the same as what is in Sid.

With MX-17 development work ramping up now, where the Packagers are majorly involved, backporting to MX-16.x will obviously have a lower priority.
Production: 4.7.0-0.bpo.1-amd64, MX-15 RC1, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, Kingston SSD 120 GB and WesternDigital 1TB
Testing: AAO 722: 3.16-0-4-686-pae. MX-15, AMD C-60 APU, 4 GB

timkb4cq
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#3 Postby timkb4cq » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:33 am

I'm afraid the Marble version available in stretch (and of course the one in git) require higher versions of the core Qt libraries than we have available in MX-16 and it's not reasonable to backport all of Qt to oldstable - especially since that might cause issues with other packages built for the version now there.
Better to wait for MX-17
MSI 970A-G43 MB, AMD FX-6300 (six core), 16GB RAM, GeForce 730, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda XT 3TB

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#4 Postby Stevo » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:25 pm

What maps are you have trouble with? I'm testing it, and most seem to install & work just fine.

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#5 Postby Stevo » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:36 pm

Marble 16.08 (Qt5 version only) will build manually with our older Qt 5.3, following the directions in that link, but some features that are only available in a newer QT will be disabled. It would take some monkeying around with the build instructions to make just a Qt package from the current Debian KDE and Qt builds, I think.

MX-16_fan
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#6 Postby MX-16_fan » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:34 am

@Stevo:

Stevo wrote:What maps are you have trouble with? I'm testing it, and most seem to install & work just fine.

Sorry, I suppose I was a little imprecise here. What Marble calls "Map View" refers to

a) what kind of map information is being displayed (e.g. "OpenStreetMap - a global roadmap created by the OpenStreetMap (OSM project)" or "Temperature (July) - a map that shows the average temperature in July"),

b) the use case / the way information is being displayed (e.g. "Atlas - a classic topographic map"),

c) the planet in question (e.g. "Saturn - Mimas: a map of Saturn's moon Mimas".

So Marble is a little chaotic in terms of categorization IMHO.

However, I can download and install these "map views" fine (tested it with one).

What I cannot do is a download of a map for offline use. In theory, Marble has this in File -> Download Region -> Visible Region. However, when I try that, simply nothing happens.

And, as mentioned above, so far there is no localization available in MX-16 either.

I would wait for MX-17 but it just took me days to build a cleanly new, clean and optimized MX-16.1 installation, so I'm not too keen on installing MX-17 until this installation is wrecked.

Talking about it, I tried Navit as an alternative but I can't really get it to run in a useful way - maybe this is because the Navit version we have is from something around 2014/2015, which, regarding Navit's history, to my knowledge means something like "alpha/ pre-beta software".

Greetings, and have a nice weekend, Joe

MX-16_fan
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#7 Postby MX-16_fan » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:56 am

@Stevo:

Stevo wrote:Marble 16.08 (Qt5 version only) will build manually with our older Qt 5.3, following the directions in that link, but some features that are only available in a newer QT will be disabled. (...)

* Which functions would that be?

* Btw. the current Marble version never shows you a proper icon on the left top of MX-16.1's desktop (don't know what that area is called, maybe "the taskbar"?). It looks like an icon which has far too small a resolution, and which has been far too much enlarged for display.

Greetings, Joe

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#8 Postby Stevo » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:04 pm

MX-16_fan wrote:@Stevo:

Stevo wrote:Marble 16.08 (Qt5 version only) will build manually with our older Qt 5.3, following the directions in that link, but some features that are only available in a newer QT will be disabled. (...)

* Which functions would that be?

* Btw. the current Marble version never shows you a proper icon on the left top of MX-16.1's desktop (don't know what that area is called, maybe "the taskbar"?). It looks like an icon which has far too small a resolution, and which has been far too much enlarged for display.

Greetings, Joe

Follow the directions in the link, and Marble will tell you what it can't do after it's configuration step. I don't remember exactly what was disabled, but I don't remember them being critical--stuff like not being able to geolocate your position with wi-fi networks, for example. I just used the 16.0.8 orig source tarball, but changed the steps to configure and build for the generic cmake case: create a /build folder in the source, enter the folder, run the cmake config command but append " .." to it, and then run "make".

I'm currently downloading a map view for the opencyclemap map, and it works. As has always been the case when I've done it it the past, the downloads are quite slow and the datasets can be quite large, so perhaps that's what you're getting.

MX-16_fan
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#9 Postby MX-16_fan » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:13 am

@Stevo:

Stevo wrote:Marble 16.08 (Qt5 version only) will build manually with our older Qt 5.3, following the directions in that link, but some features that are only available in a newer QT will be disabled. (...) Follow the directions in the link, and Marble will tell you what it can't do after it's configuration step.

Sorry, Stevo, I don't get it. Which directions, which link?

Stevo wrote:I'm currently downloading a map view for the opencyclemap map, and it works. As has always been the case when I've done it it the past, the downloads are quite slow and the datasets can be quite large, so perhaps that's what you're getting.

Are you sure that it's a map view you were downloading here, or rather a region (please see above for the difference)?

As said, downloading and installing new map views is no problem here, but downloading regions is.

Greetings, Joe

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#10 Postby Stevo » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:03 pm

Yes, downloading the map tiles for a region, so I don't have to be connected to the Net to use the map. It downloaded the region very slowly, but eventually finished. It's worth having some kind of network usage monitor running, so you can monitor these type of things. Maybe whatever map view you are trying does not have tiles in whatever resolution you want; try some other ones.

Return to “Package Requests/Status - MX-15/16”