-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

[NOT FEASIBLE] MX-16/MX-16.1: Please upgrade Marble to the latest version

MX-16_fan
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: MX-16/MX-16.1: Please upgrade Marble to the latest version

#11 Post by MX-16_fan » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:31 pm

@Stevo:
Stevo wrote:Yes, downloading the map tiles for a region, so I don't have to be connected to the Net to use the map. It downloaded the region very slowly, but eventually finished. It's worth having some kind of network usage monitor running, so you can monitor these type of things. Maybe whatever map view you are trying does not have tiles in whatever resolution you want; try some other ones.
I see. Strange, this old version doesn't even have a progress bar. And it doesn't tell you in advance how much space the map tiles will consume. Bad.

Do you know how to change the path to where the offline use map tiles are stored? By default it seems to be /home/Maps.

Greetings, and have a nice weekend, Joe

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#12 Post by Stevo » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:42 pm

No idea how to change the path; I assume it could be hard-coded. I did a little Google Search, and almost instantly found an AppImage of a newer Marble, if you want to try that out: https://s3-eu-central-1.amazonaws.com/d ... ppimage%2F It was downloading very slowly in the browser for me, so I just switched the download over to Uget with 10 sockets and it's downloading ten times as fast.

Edit: The only map I can get to work with the AppImage is the openTopo map. That seems to work great, with the progress bar also, and it's a great map, but all the others are dead. You can also run the 2.2.0 Windows version in Wine, but it's about the same version as we already have.

MX-16_fan
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#13 Post by MX-16_fan » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:12 pm

@Stevo:
Stevo wrote: (...)
Edit: The only map I can get to work with the AppImage is the openTopo map. That seems to work great, with the progress bar also, and it's a great map, but all the others are dead. (...)
Thanks a lot for testing, Stevo.

So, as a newer version can't be compiled either, I guess this is a "Won't fix"?

Greetings, and have a nice week, Joe

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#14 Post by Stevo » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:04 pm

Just an update. I tried to build to build the 17.08.1 version in Debian Experimental on a Stretch base, but it errored out in the marble-data package install because of a couple of missing appdata.xml files that aren't in the source. Then I looked at marble-data in Experimental, and it doesn't exist at all, so must have FTBFS for them, too. Those appdata.xml files are supposed to be used by software stores for app information, and there's one installed for the main marble app, so it's OK to not install the missing ones for the marble wallpaper and clock. And after fixing that, I saw there is now a 17.08.2 release, so am building that instead. Hopefully this one's successful.

MX-16_fan
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#15 Post by MX-16_fan » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:55 pm

@Stevo:
Stevo wrote:(...) ... I saw there is now a 17.08.2 release, so am building that instead. Hopefully this one's successful.
That is extremely cool, Stevo! Thanks a lot! I can't wait to hear about your results :happy:.

Greetings, and have a good week, Joe

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#16 Post by Stevo » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:31 pm

It finished and seems to run fine on our alpha versions, though there aren't as many maps available to add as there used to be...I guess they weeded out the broken ones. We will be having a public beta of MX 17 very, very soon.

MX-16_fan
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#17 Post by MX-16_fan » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:21 pm

@Stevo:
Stevo wrote:It finished and seems to run fine on our alpha versions, though there aren't as many maps available to add as there used to be...I guess they weeded out the broken ones. We will be having a public beta of MX 17 very, very soon.
That is extremely cool, Stevo! Thanks a lot!

As far as this thread here is concerned, should I add a "Won't fix" mark (which would be most precise), or rather something like "Fixed in MX-17" (which would be less precise, but maybe more informative considering what people would seek to know)?

Greetings, and have a nice week, Joe

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#18 Post by Stevo » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:26 pm

Yes, the public beta is out now..but you have limited room in the thread title, so you'll have to redo it, maybe shorten the main part to "Update MX 16 Marble?" and use "not feasible" or "impracticable" as resolutions, adding MX 17 as space permits.

I also updated Digikam, but built it against Stretch's Marble, and it turns out that it can't coexist with the new Marble--so I just rebuilt it against the new Marble libraries to fix that.

Note that there is also a "marble-qt" package that won't bring in any KDE dependencies and is a better choice for the XFCE desktop. It works and looks just like the KDE version.

MX-16_fan
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#19 Post by MX-16_fan » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:31 pm

@Stevo:
Stevo wrote:Yes, the public beta is out now..but you have limited room in the thread title, so you'll have to redo it, maybe shorten the main part to "Update MX 16 Marble?" and use "not feasible" or "impracticable" as resolutions, adding MX 17 as space permits.
O.k.
Stevo wrote:Note that there is also a "marble-qt" package that won't bring in any KDE dependencies and is a better choice for the XFCE desktop. It works and looks just like the KDE version.
Yeah, thx, I know that one.

Thanks a lot, and greetings, Joe

MX-16_fan
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#20 Post by MX-16_fan » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:34 pm

@Stevo:
Stevo wrote:[...] ..but you have limited room in the thread title, so you'll have to redo it, maybe shorten the main part to "Update MX 16 Marble?" and use "not feasible" or "impracticable" as resolutions, adding MX 17 as space permits.
Seems to have worked fine adding "[NOT FEASIBLE]". Thx and greetings, Joe

Return to “Package Requests/Status - MX-15/16”