Welcome!

Please read this important information about MX sources lists.
News
  • MX Linux on social media: here
  • Mepis support still here
Current releases
  • MX-16.1 release info here
  • antiX-16.2 release info here
New users
  • Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
  • Read Forum Rules

[Needs packaging] Areca Backup, a GPL v2 backup software full of cool features

MX-16_fan
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

[Needs packaging] Areca Backup, a GPL v2 backup software full of cool features

#1 Postby MX-16_fan » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:57 am

Since our Déjà Dup version on the MX-Test Repo still seems to have one or more major issues (viewtopic.php?f=121&t=41959&p=411697#p411697), I'd love to give Areca Backup (http://www.areca-backup.org/) a try. Areca Backup has had extremely positive reports in a Linux magazine, and it is to be full of cool features (http://www.areca-backup.org/features.php) like

- a GUI with many options,
- having backups compressed and encrptd (making backup media safer against burglars and thieves),
- ways of browsing files (I didn't find this function in deja-dup),
- storage and recovry of symbolic links and named pipes,
- MS Windows version available (so this might make having a look at MX-16 more attractive for newbies),
- a plugin API,
- FTP connection,
- plus man more.

I read an article saying that it had been somewhat unreliable before 2011, which also indicated that was fixed by then.

Source of version 7.5 is on SourceForge: https://sourceforge.net/projects/areca/ ... areca-7.5/. There's what looks like an installer in that directory too.

There's an Ubuntu PPA available (however it's not featuring the newest version): https://launchpad.net/~lcid-fire/+archive/ubuntu/areca.

The whole thing relies on Java. Don't know if that makes the whole thing more difficult to build, or easier.

If you think it's possible to have it on MX-16, and if you'd like to compile it and to put it on MX-Test Repo, I'd be happy to test it and report to you all how well it works.

Greetings, Joe

richb
Administrator

Re: [Needs packaging] Areca Backup, a GPL v2 backup software full of cool features

#2 Postby richb » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:03 pm

As this is a package request, I am moving it to the MX-16 Package Request Forum.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich
SSD Production: MX-15- 64 - migrated to MX-16 RC1
HD Test: MX-16 RC1
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, fglrx driver, 16 GIG Mem. Samsung EVO SSD 250 GB, 350 GB HD

Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: [Needs packaging] Areca Backup, a GPL v2 backup software full of cool features

#3 Postby Jerry3904 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:06 pm

You don't need to have it packaged to try it, since it is a java application. Follow the directions on that webpage-- but it is looking in the wrong place:

Code: Select all

$ ./areca.sh
ls: cannot access /usr/java: No such file or directory
No valid JRE found in /usr/java.
Since such a location contradicts the Linux filesystem convention, that mistake does not augur well for the application IMO.
Production: 4.7.0-0.bpo.1-amd64, MX-15 RC1, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, Kingston SSD 120 GB and WesternDigital 1TB
Testing: AAO 722: 3.16-0-4-686-pae. MX-15, AMD C-60 APU, 4 GB

MX-16_fan
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#4 Postby MX-16_fan » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:58 pm

Jerry3904 wrote:You don't need to have it packaged to try it, since it is a java application. Follow the directions on that webpage

Thanks, Jerry. What does "it's a java application" exactly does that mean for my system? Will it spoil my clean system via some weird installer? I had very bad experiences with installers of all kinds over the years, that's why I was asking for a packaged version.

Jerry3904 wrote:-- but it is looking in the wrong place:

Code: Select all

$ ./areca.sh
ls: cannot access /usr/java: No such file or directory
No valid JRE found in /usr/java.

Someone wrote an article on how to fix this issue here: https://www.tylerburton.ca/2016/12/fixi ... ributions/. He writes:
Now I’m quite sure there is a far more elegant solution than this but I simply commented out the vast majority of this function and hard coded the directory of my system’s Java binary.

Would you say this is a clean solution described there, or would you know better?

Jerry3904 wrote:Since such a location contradicts the Linux filesystem convention, that mistake does not augur well for the application IMO.

Ouch. Right you are. However, it seems to me that Java paths are often troublesome, see e.g. here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1946 ... -java-path.

I guess if there was a real package and a real program start icon more people would test it, which would get little issues around this application cleaned out, which would be a gain for all. Just my personal opinion.

Greetings, Joe

Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#5 Postby Jerry3904 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:17 pm

I guess if there was a real package and a real program start icon more people would test it, which would get little issues around this application cleaned out, which would be a gain for all. Just my personal opinion.
It is your personal opinion, but you can give it some weight by testing it yourself first and telling the Community about your experience.

I myself don't happen to see a need, since typing "backup" in the Synaptic search box shows a zillion choices already in the repos.
Production: 4.7.0-0.bpo.1-amd64, MX-15 RC1, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, Kingston SSD 120 GB and WesternDigital 1TB
Testing: AAO 722: 3.16-0-4-686-pae. MX-15, AMD C-60 APU, 4 GB

MX-16_fan
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#6 Postby MX-16_fan » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:07 pm

@Jerry3904:

Jerry3904 wrote:
It is your personal opinion, but you can give it some weight by testing it yourself first and telling the Community about your experience.

I will happily do this, but could you or someone else please help me by answering my questions (see above) regarding fixing the installation? I can't proceed without that knowledge.

Jerry3904 wrote:I myself don't happen to see a need, since typing "backup" in the Synaptic search box shows a zillion choices already in the repos.

Which of them actually does have

- at least a terminal GUI and
- secure password protection (to secure the backups against burglary or theft),
- while therein not relying on eCryptfs, which would get you running into the well-known filename restriction issue (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ecryptfs/+bug/344878)?

Greetings, Joe

Return to “Package Requests/Status - MX-15/16”