Welcome!

Please read this important information about MX sources lists.
News
  • MX Linux on social media: here
  • Mepis support still here
Current releases
  • MX-16.1 release info here
  • antiX-17-b1-full release info here
  • antiX-16.2 release info here
New users
  • Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
  • Read Forum Rules

MX 15/16 Repository: The Ksnip Thread

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

MX 15/16 Repository: The Ksnip Thread

#1 Postby Stevo » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:03 pm

We now have Ksnip screenshot applet 1.3.1 in the test repository. You might think it's a KDE screenshot app because of the name, but it uses Qt libraries only, so will be a very small addition to a stock MX installation.

Update: It also requires that the window manager have compositing enabled for the translucent effect to work, otherwise it will appear solid black in those sections.

Ksnip is a Qt 4 based Linux screenshot tool inspired by the Window Snipping Tool.
Features

Latest ksnip version contains following features:

Taking Screenshot of a custom rectangular area that can be drawn with mouse cursor.
Taking screenshot of the screen/monitor where the mouse cursor is currently located.
Taking screenshot of full screen, including all screens/monitors.
Taking screenshot of window that currently has focus.
Take screenshot with or without mouse cursor.
Customizable capture delay for all capture options.
Upload screenshots directly to imgur.com in anonymous or user mode.
Drawing on captured screenshot with two different tools, pen (opaque) and maker (semi-transparent).
Drawing two shapes ellipse and rectangle, with and without fill.
Customizable color and size (thickness) for drawing tools.
Writing text on screenshots, with customizable font, size, color etc.
Any drawing can be moved around without deleting it by simply dragging it to new location.
Cropping captured screensshot, including any drawing on the captured image.
Command line support, for taking screenshot and saving it to default location, filename and format.
Customizable default location, filename and format for saving new screenshots with wildcards for Year ($Y), Month ($M), Day ($D) and Time ($T).
Print screenshot or save is to prf/ps.
Undo/Redo for paint and crop operations.
Smooth out free hand pen and marker lines (can be disabled in settings).
Last edited by Stevo on Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: MX 15/16 Repository: The Ksnip Thread

#2 Postby dolphin_oracle » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:10 pm

I love the windows snipping tool! I use it all the time on the work pc! I'll be checking this one out, thanks!

***edit*** oh, this is fantastic! I've been dumping my captures into pinta for editing, but this is SOOOO much quicker!

a couple of quick tips...changing the extension of the file to be saved to jpg will cause the file to be saved as a jpg rather than the default png. Also of note is the default settings for filename don't seem to actually work for anything. when using the save dialog, the filename always pops up as "untitled.png" by default.

***edit 2 *** actually, it does seem to remember that I want a jpg instead of png files, so at least that is good! I'm already remapping my screenshot tool to this!

***edit 3*** made "PrtSc" point to ksnip now and Shift+PrtSc point to the xfce4-screenshooter app, as it can do full screen screenshots on a timer and ksnip cannot (can do full screen, just no timer, which makes it hard to capture menus and such).
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
eeepc 904ha antix 15 32 bit (streaming media player)
acer c720p chromebook - chromeos / MX15-64 (custom snapshot) live USB.
lenovo s21e - antiX-16 MX16(live-usb)

dporobic
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#3 Postby dporobic » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:20 am

dolphin_oracle wrote:I love the windows snipping tool! I use it all the time on the work pc! I'll be checking this one out, thanks!

***edit*** oh, this is fantastic! I've been dumping my captures into pinta for editing, but this is SOOOO much quicker!

Thanks for the feedback, I'm glad you like it :)

dolphin_oracle wrote:a couple of quick tips...changing the extension of the file to be saved to jpg will cause the file to be saved as a jpg rather than the default png. Also of note is the default settings for filename don't seem to actually work for anything. when using the save dialog, the filename always pops up as "untitled.png" by default.

***edit 2 *** actually, it does seem to remember that I want a jpg instead of png files, so at least that is good! I'm already remapping my screenshot tool to this!

The default filename (the one with the date stuff in it) should be used for screenshots taken from the command line, the idea was automatic screenshot capturing so that you don't have overlapping names. The extension however is is kept correctly. I'll try to update the github wiki page to clarify this, it might be not obvious :)

dolphin_oracle wrote:***edit 3*** made "PrtSc" point to ksnip now and Shift+PrtSc point to the xfce4-screenshooter app, as it can do full screen screenshots on a timer and ksnip cannot (can do full screen, just no timer, which makes it hard to capture menus and such).

There should be a timer for screenshots, it's called delay and can be access under the settings window or from command line. I'll try to add a section for this to the wiki page too.

If you have any suggestions for improvements let me know :)

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#4 Postby Stevo » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:40 pm

Have you thought about setting up a repository for it and directing people to it in the README? It's really pretty easy to do that on the free openSUSE Build Service, and I can set up one that'll provide Ubuntu 12.04, 14.04, 16.04, 16.10, 17.04, Debian 7, and Debian 8 packages all from one source upload in a couple minutes, but I could possibly miss any upgrades in the future, so it might be better for the repo to be directly connected to you. It's also possible to use one set of source packages to also build rpm packages on there for those type of distros, but that gets beyond me, since I have no experience with rpm packages.

I know there's a PPA that I lifted the debianization from, but that only has Ubuntu 16.04, 16.10, and 17.04 packages.

dporobic
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#5 Postby dporobic » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:43 am

Stevo wrote:Have you thought about setting up a repository for it and directing people to it in the README?

To be honest, I have thought about providing easier access but due to my limited knowledge of this topic it was always postponed. Currently I'm busy with another project but as soon as I find some time I'll look into it. If you can provide a tutorial with required steps to make this work, that would defiantly speeding things up.

GuiGuy
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#6 Postby GuiGuy » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:25 pm

Tried Ksnip on both MX16 and MX15.

It almost works, but when I start a new rectangular snip the whole screen
goes black so that I cannot tell exactly which rectangle I am selecting.

Do I need to add some other package(s)?

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#7 Postby Stevo » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:19 pm

dporobic wrote:
Stevo wrote:Have you thought about setting up a repository for it and directing people to it in the README?

To be honest, I have thought about providing easier access but due to my limited knowledge of this topic it was always postponed. Currently I'm busy with another project but as soon as I find some time I'll look into it. If you can provide a tutorial with required steps to make this work, that would defiantly speeding things up.

I wrote a rambling guide containing what I had discovered about using the OBS at the time (warning: lots of screenshots)

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=40593&p=392976

Note that if you want to generate new source packages to put into the OBS, you'll have to do those in a Debian-based system somehow. I really don't know diddly about how to get the rpm side of things to work, either. It's like having a super-powerful giant robot that only obeys commands in an alien language, and all I know is how to tell it to mow the lawn or make me a sammich: "Gort, sudo klaatu barada sammich!"

dporobic
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#8 Postby dporobic » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:30 am

Stevo wrote:I wrote a rambling guide containing what I had discovered about using the OBS at the time (warning: lots of screenshots)

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=40593&p=392976

Awesome, thanks for the tutorial seems to be very detailed. I'll have a look into it :happy:

GuiGuy wrote:It almost works, but when I start a new rectangular snip the whole screen
goes black so that I cannot tell exactly which rectangle I am selecting.

Do I need to add some other package(s)?

Don't think that you're missing packages it would'n compile if a package was missing. It could be that your compositor is disabled or you're using software rendering. What you see as black should be actually black+transparent but without the proper graphics the transparency part is not working, hence you see only black. I've seen it before (see https://github.com/DamirPorobic/ksnip/issues/34) and I'm planning to change the implementation to prevent this behavior in future. For now, check your compositor and make sure you're not using software rendering.

GuiGuy
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#9 Postby GuiGuy » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:14 am

dporobic,

Thank you for explaining why my "black screen"
issue is probably occurring.

Also thanks for all your work on Kspin
and for taking the trouble to post in this forum.

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#10 Postby Stevo » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:01 pm

Seems OK to move to our main repo, then. I wonder if we should add it to our point release, since it would add only about 100K to the size.

Return to “Package Requests/Status - MX-15/16”