Welcome!

Please read this important information about MX sources lists.
News
  • MX Linux on social media: here
  • Mepis support still here
Current releases
  • MX-16.1 release info here
  • antiX-17-b1-full release info here
  • antiX-16.2 release info here
New users
  • Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
  • Read Forum Rules

[SOLVED] [Needs packaging] dupeGuru (cool GUI duplicate finder)

MX-16_fan
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

[SOLVED] [Needs packaging] dupeGuru (cool GUI duplicate finder)

#1 Postby MX-16_fan » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:15 pm

@all:

dupeGuru is a GUI based tool to find duplicate files on computers (https://www.hardcoded.net/dupeguru/). It's available for Ubuntu, OSX and MS Windows, but unfortunately not yet for MX-16.

dupeGuru can scan both filenames and, which is very cool, contents. The filename scan even features some algorithm that is to find duplicate filenames even when they are not letter by letter the same. In order to tidy up you storage, it seems to me personally that it's a perfect tool which might in some way (regarding this specific task) be a lot more user friendly than the FSlint Janitor.

dupeGuru used to be proprietary shareware but it's now open sourced under BSD license (https://www.hardcoded.net/articles/free ... s-in-trade).

Documentation is available here: https://www.hardcoded.net/dupeguru/help ... ibute.html. If something is missing in the documentation, the programmer writes he can be contacted via hsoft@hardcoded.net.

Source code is on GitHub: https://github.com/hsoft/dupeguru. There's also an Ubuntu PPA: https://launchpad.net/~hsoft/+archive/ubuntu/ppa (don't know if that helps).

If it's possible, it would be great to have dupeGuru on MX-16.

Greetings, Joe
Last edited by MX-16_fan on Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: [Needs packaging] dupeGuru (cool GUI duplicate finder)

#2 Postby Stevo » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:42 pm

I'll see about packaging it.

Thanks for the links. The PPA is actually the most help for us Repo Men, since it provides a ready-made "debianization" build blueprint we can resuse for our builds. Without that, it's a lot more effort for us to debianize a program from raw source.

v3g4n
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#3 Postby v3g4n » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:10 pm

Stevo wrote:Without that, it's a lot more effort for us to debianize a program from raw source.

That, and I still haven't learned how to. :frown: Should probably do that one of these days.

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#4 Postby Stevo » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:41 pm

Packages are done and on the way to the MX 15/16 test repo.

MX-16_fan
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#5 Postby MX-16_fan » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:45 pm

Stevo wrote:Packages are done and on the way to the MX 15/16 test repo.

@Stevo, @v3g4n:

You are super cool package maintainers and builders! Thank you so much!

Maybe that would be something for upstream also? Don't know how commuication flow towards upstream works. I'd love to know understand how it works, however.

Greetings, Joe

MX-16_fan
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#6 Postby MX-16_fan » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:13 am

@Stevo, @v3g4n:

Stevo wrote:Packages are done and on the way to the MX 15/16 test repo.

Just tried it out. Seems to work like a charm. I'll keep you informed in case I encounter any issues.

Thanks again so much, you are fantastic!

Greetings, Joe

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#7 Postby Stevo » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:39 pm

Glad to hear that it's working well for you!

MX-16_fan
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#8 Postby MX-16_fan » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:18 pm

FIRST TEST REPORT:

O.k., here's my first test report.

First of all, I think all of us should be grateful about the fact that the programmer of this formerly half-commercial application has released it into the sphere of freedom. Especially photography people often have a lot of duplicates, which means that they have to buy ever more and more storage, plus they get confused about where the things they need really are. I think many of us would love to clean up their duplicates the easy way, too.

However, upon testing DupeGuru, it seems to me that it has a very severe bug enthreating its very function. I'm not sure if that strange kind of behaviour is related to MX-16 (and MX-16's dealing with timestamps). If you think that discussion of that should be a separate thread, please tell me.

I did a test run on a friend's historically grown data.

My friend has a folder on his HDD which he once created when he had to travel abroad. The pretext ist: He copied the folder to another folder before he travelled abroad, just to be safe against burglary at home, and then he copied this folder to a USB stick before travelling in order to not loose his data in case the device he left at home gets stolen.

So my friend has one prominent duplicate. The original folder in question was created on March 8th, 2017. The copy of this folder was created approximately two hours later (at least that's what nemo tells me).

So you should think that DupeGuru would regard the original as being the original, and prefer to save the original and to delete the duplicate (otherwise the application probably wouldn't be called "DupeGuru"). However, what DupeGuru actually does it is to offer the original for deletion, while not offering the copy to be deleted (you can't check it for deletion in the GUI).

Can you confirm this? It would be great if some of you tested this. As mentioned above, you can easily find DupeGuru in the MX-Test Repo (GUI).

Greetings, Joe

dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#9 Postby dolphin_oracle » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:27 pm

So you should think that DupeGuru would regard the original as being the original, and prefer to save the original and to delete the duplicate (otherwise the application probably wouldn't be called "DupeGuru"). However, what DupeGuru actually does it is to offer the original for deletion, while not offering the copy to be deleted (you can't check it for deletion in the GUI).

this doesn't surprise me. its offering to save what it sees as the most recent version. The app has no way of knowing which one is the "original", if either of them are.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
eeepc 904ha antix 15 32 bit (streaming media player)
acer c720p chromebook - chromeos / MX15-64 (custom snapshot) live USB.
lenovo s21e - antiX-16 MX16(live-usb)

towwire
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#10 Postby towwire » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:24 pm

Here is a file search and duplicate finder that can run from a USB stick. The only requirement is "Wine" must be installed or run from "Windows". Be aware that the duplicate search is done by making a binary comparison of the files with the same size, byte by byte. There is no install program, just extract and run from that folder, just make sure you have the right one for "Wine" 32 or 64 bit.

http://www.nirsoft.net/articles/find_du ... files.html

This what I use and it works great.

Return to “Package Requests/Status - MX-15/16”