Welcome!

Please read this important information about MX sources lists.
News
  • MX Linux on social media: here
  • Mepis support still here
Current releases
  • MX-16.1 release info here
  • antiX-17-b1-full release info here
  • antiX-16.2 release info here
New users
  • Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
  • Read Forum Rules

[Needs packaging] deja-dup (Déjà Dup) 34.3

MX-16_fan
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

[Needs packaging] deja-dup (Déjà Dup) 34.3

#1 Postby MX-16_fan » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:24 pm

Déjà Dup is a GUI for duplicity. Many Ubuntu users rely on it. Nice fact is that backups are encrped, which makes backups safe against burglary etc.

However, he 32.x version available in MX-16 has been reported frequenly to cause problems for international users (regarding file names with special letters from important other languages). This bug is supposed to have been fixed in 34.2.

duplicity 7.x is available in MX-Testing, whereas Déjà Dup isn't.

A new version that seems to cause no or little problems is available in Ubuntu 16.04, so MX-16 is somewhat behind Ubuntu.

It would be great if someone could package 34.3 for MX-16. The project page is here: https://launchpad.net/deja-dup.

Greetings, Joe

v3g4n
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Re: [Needs packaging] deja-dup (Déjà Dup) 34.3

#2 Postby v3g4n » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:40 pm

Will take a look.

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#3 Postby Stevo » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:58 pm

I was looking at it--turn off the Nautilus extension build in the rules, and then we won't need its unavailable build-depend. Other it might want a whole new GNOME. Make sure you remove the -dev package from the control file, too, for pbuilder to work--otherwise edit the control.in file to make changes.

I don't think that too many people would miss the extension.

v3g4n
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#4 Postby v3g4n » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:36 pm

I just downgraded it to 3.14. Its a pretty nice extension that I wish would support other file managers.

MX-16_fan
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#5 Postby MX-16_fan » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:58 pm

@v3g4n, @Stevo:

Thanks so much for going into this! I'm delighted you like it as much as I do.

I wasn't aware of the nautilus integration, since the most basic functionality is given even without the integration.

It seems to be easily possible, however:

* Thunar integration is described here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/deja-dup/+bu ... comments/5. Apparently you only need the thunar-uca plugin for that. Seems like this integration could ship with MX-16 out-of-the box as long it's described in the uca.xml.

* Nemo integration is possible via https://github.com/erickj/nemo-actions.

Hope that helps!

Greetings, Joe

MX-16_fan
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#6 Postby MX-16_fan » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:53 pm

Tested it out. Works like a charm – thanks so much! I'll try it out for some time and keep you informed if I encounter any issues.

Would it be possible for you to compile the above-mentioned nemo-actions into nemo?

Thunar is fine but nemo IMHO is a lot more comfortable for file search.

I guess Nautilus integration would be best but it's probably hard to rip out zeitgeist.

Thanks ever so much, greetings, Joe

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#7 Postby Stevo » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:09 pm

I'm not familiar with Nemo, but a web search indicates that you just need to copy the .action files into your user's $HOME/.local/share/nemo/actions/ ,then restart Nemo for those to take effect. No compiling is necessary. If we do ship deja-dup with a future MX, we could see about enabling the Thunar integration for all users by default.

MX-16_fan
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#8 Postby MX-16_fan » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:05 pm

@Stevo:

Stevo wrote:I'm not familiar with Nemo, but a web search indicates that you just need to copy the .action files into your user's $HOME/.local/share/nemo/actions/ ,then restart Nemo for those to take effect. No compiling is necessary. If we do ship deja-dup with a future MX, we could see about enabling the Thunar integration for all users by default.

Cool, thanks for the hint, and for maybe integrating deja-dup into Thunar in the future. Have a nice weekend. Greetings, Joe

MX-16_fan
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#9 Postby MX-16_fan » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:59 am

@all:

This is my first short report on testing the new deja-dup from the MX Test Repo, and two issues I encountered.

I configured deja-dup to do a daily backup of all files in the "Desktop" and "Downloads" directory, plus from an SDXC photo card in the card reader, plus a few folders from the home directory (like "Mail"). Did a full run, which took many hours.

Today, I re-attached the backup HDD in order to do an update on the backup.

Strangely enough, I then saw double entries in deja-dups list of which folders there are to be backupped. This doesn't look good.

Second issue was: I had forgotten to insert the SDXC card before starting deja-dup, so I switched deja-dup off. Nevertheless, I have the backup HDD LED blinking, so apparently the GUI doesn't hand the "stop" command over to duplicity.

Any idea where these issues might come from?

I can provide additional information if you wish.

Greetings, Joe

MX-16_fan
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#10 Postby MX-16_fan » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:34 am

This is my second short test report:

Did a second backup of a system on which there was very little changed (only a minor couple of folders). Strangely enough, deja-dup tried to run a second full backup (I could see this because one can see the file names copied in the GUI during the whole backup process).

Might have to do something with the above-mentioned issue. In any case, this looks like clearly buggy behaviour to me. AFAIK the backup should be incremental, not "always full".

Maybe some of you would like to test it yourself.

I guess it would be good to have a comfortable and safe standard backup solution available on MX-16 – safe meaning the backup is safe against burglars and thieves by not making it readable for everyone.

Greetings, Joe

Return to “Package Requests/Status - MX-15/16”