-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

MX 15 Repository: The palemoon thread

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: MX 15 Repository: The palemoon thread

#211 Post by Stevo » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:45 pm

I would report this on the Pale Moon Linux forum; they no doubt would have a better idea what's going on than I would.

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#212 Post by Stevo » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:38 pm

Pale Moon 27.6.0, a major development update, is now available as an upgrade in the main repository. It has a long list of changes, which can be viewed here: https://github.com/MoonchildProductions ... n/releases

Packager geek stuff: I also enabled gcc vectorization optimization in the Jessie builds, which the upstream builds also have in their CentOS gcc-4.9.2 builds. It also works for our gcc-4.9.2 in MX 15/16/Jessie, but causes build failures in all Ubuntus, plus Debian Wheezy and Stretch, so I added a little code to the build system to only enable it if it recognizes a Jessie or MX 15/16 system build environment.

MX-16_fan
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#213 Post by MX-16_fan » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:21 pm

@Stevo:
Stevo wrote:Pale Moon 27.6.0, a major development update, is now available as an upgrade in the main repository. It has a long list of changes, which can be viewed here: https://github.com/MoonchildProductions ... n/releases (...)
Thanks a lot, Stevo. Very cool!
Stevo wrote: Packager geek stuff: I also enabled gcc vectorization optimization in the Jessie builds, which the upstream builds also have in their CentOS gcc-4.9.2 builds. It also works for our gcc-4.9.2 in MX 15/16/Jessie, but causes build failures in all Ubuntus, plus Debian Wheezy and Stretch, so I added a little code to the build system to only enable it if it recognizes a Jessie or MX 15/16 system build environment.
Admirable!

Greetings, and have a nice weekend, Joe

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#214 Post by Stevo » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:45 pm

Minor bugfix release 27.6.1 has landed in the main repository for MX 15, 16, and 17.
Changes/fixes:

Fixed a regression with new windows (opening two windows from the command-line or file association, focus issues on new windows, not loading the home page in a new window, etc.)
Aligned XHR with the currect spec to allow withCredentials.
Fixed an input element focus issue within handlers.
Fixed the processing of all-padding HTTP/2 frames to prevent rare HTTP/2 hangups.
Updated CitiBank override to work around their login issues.
Updated Netflix override to a community-supplied one that seems to satisfy their arbitrary restrictions better.

MX-16_fan
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#215 Post by MX-16_fan » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:29 am

@Stevo:
Stevo wrote:Minor bugfix release 27.6.1 has landed in the main repository for MX 15, 16, and 17. (...)
Thanks so much, Stevo, for always keeping this great browser up to date. Greetings, Joe

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#216 Post by Stevo » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:22 pm

Minor security/bugfix update 27.6.2 is now in the main repository:
Changes/fixes:

Implemented the concept of so-called "cookie-averse document objects" which is a security&privacy measure that blocks certain web content from setting cookies. This mitigates cookie-injection, which might help against "hidden" cookie tracking.
Mitigated some domain name spoofing through IDN by using dotless-i and dotless-j with accents. (CVE-2017-7832)
Pale Moon will display these kinds of spoofed domains in punycode now in the actual address bar.
Please note that the identity panel will always be able to help you on secure sites when IDNs are in use to notice potential spoofing, as opposed to relying on detection algorithms in the URL itself. As such, some other issues like CVE-2017-7833 are already mitigated by us.
Fixed an issue with mixed-content blocking. (CVE-2017-7835)
Added an extra check for the correct signature data type on certificates.
Added missing sanitization in exporting bookmarks to HTML. (CVE-2017-7840)
Fixed several crashes and memory safety hazards.

MX-16_fan
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#217 Post by MX-16_fan » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:49 am

@Stevo:
Stevo wrote:Minor security/bugfix update 27.6.2 is now in the main repository: (...)
Cool! Thanks, Stevo!

For obvious reasons, should there be serious considerations about replacing Firefox by Pale Moon in MX-17? Having this this superb piece of software shipped by default might fit nicely into the overall MX-17 philosophy. Just an idea.

Greetings, and have a great weekend, Joe

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#218 Post by Stevo » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:59 pm

You could bring up that to the forum as a whole. I know the FF 57 doesn't support some of my favorite extensions as yet. Back when I made some 700 MB CD-sized stripped-down versions of MX 15, I did replace Firefox with Pale Moon, and anyone can do a respin with their own selection of apps and we might host it. It would be nice if Pale Moon had custom bookmarks for the distro like we do for Firefox, though.

MX-16_fan
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#219 Post by MX-16_fan » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:02 pm

@Stevo:
Stevo wrote:You could bring up that to the forum as a whole. (...)
Good idea. Would you encourage that?

Greetings, and have a nice weekend, Joe

MX-16_fan
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#220 Post by MX-16_fan » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:09 pm

@all:

Just did some experiments using Pale Moon 27.6.2 (64-bit) on MX-16.1.

I installed ABPrime (http://addons.palemoon.org/addon/abprime/) as the one and only ad blocker, but it doesn't really seem to filter out much, if anything at all. I got the impression that ABPrime is the most favored ad blocker for palemoon, so this is somewhat strange.

Currently I there's the EasyList filter lists package installed. I think that was the default.

Does anyone of you know how to configure ABPrime in order to get filtering on, say, Adblock Edge level?

Greetings, and a nice weekend to all of you, Joe

Return to “Package Requests/Status - MX-15/16”