Welcome!

Please read this important information about MX sources lists.
News
  • MX Linux on social media: here
  • Mepis support still here
Current releases
  • MX-16.1 release info here
  • antiX-17-b1-full release info here
  • antiX-16.2 release info here
New users
  • Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
  • Read Forum Rules

Request for info from Mepis 12 users

jmyersWVa
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Request for info from Mepis 12 users

#1 Postby jmyersWVa » Tue May 23, 2017 1:13 pm

This is about using Gparted to copy partitions. I have read/browsed the gparted help stuff,but still unsure.(multiple os on same drive) I've always been a "cloner". The distros installed are (win7(defunct)) & Mepis 12. MX14/15/16. (which I can Snapshot,not an issue) I'd just like to get some feedback from users who have copied partitions & the success rate of getting them bootable.

Thanks

Edit. The reason I want to copy the Mepis 12 is to preserve/archive it on a smaller drive.

Adrian
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Request for info from Mepis 12 users

#2 Postby Adrian » Tue May 23, 2017 2:20 pm

Should work, but I think the partition needs to be equal in size. I usually use "rsync -a" for this kind of situations (add v for verbose).
After you copy, if you want to boot from it, the only things you need to pay attention are /etc/fstab -- should be updated to follow the new partitioning reality, reinstall GRUB (or do a grub-update on the system that boots the computer) and sometimes you need to clear the ~/.Xauthority file. Also if the video card is different from the original computer you might have to change some settings, but that's pretty much it.

http://www.mepis.org/docs/en/index.php? ... disk_trees

jmyersWVa
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#3 Postby jmyersWVa » Tue May 23, 2017 5:05 pm

Adrian wrote:Should work, but I think the partition needs to be equal in size. I usually use "rsync -a" for this kind of situations (add v for verbose).
After you copy, if you want to boot from it, the only things you need to pay attention are /etc/fstab -- should be updated to follow the new partitioning reality, reinstall GRUB (or do a grub-update on the system that boots the computer) and sometimes you need to clear the ~/.Xauthority file. Also if the video card is different from the original computer you might have to change some settings, but that's pretty much it.

http://www.mepis.org/docs/en/index.php? ... disk_trees

Thanks Adrian
I'm sure i can make an equal size partition on a smaller drive. I keep a sorta paper chart with 1024 times X, & use it most of the time for partitions. I have a 500 gig to test on --> copy from a 1TB. I'll study a bit more today & try tomorrow.

Thanks again

Edit: Mepis 12 will be the only OS on this drive ----> except other Data Partition created after the fact.

smilliken
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#4 Postby smilliken » Tue May 23, 2017 5:53 pm

I've never used gparted for copying partitions from one disk to another. I've used "dd" with great success, copying dual and triple boot disks to another disk, even to larger drive. I then use gparted to extend the drives after the copying is completed.

If you search the network for dd, you will get lots of replies.

but the premise is

Code: Select all

sudo dd if=/dev/sdx of=/dev/sdx
where "x" is the drive letter of disk you are copying from and to. There are lots options and triggers, but this wis a start. Used this command just the other day and the drive booted and ran just fine.

find the drives attached with

Code: Select all

df -h
There is no "Ctrl+Z" in life!
Panasonic Toughpad FZ-G1 - MX-16
Acer 7551G MX-16 | Dell 1525, MX16 XFCE4 & Win 10
HP DV4-1118 Mepis 12 4.14 & Win 10
HP CP1215/Brother DCP-7065DN
Linux User# 4523410

timkb4cq
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#5 Postby timkb4cq » Tue May 23, 2017 9:24 pm

I have successfully migrated MEPIS using gparted to copy partitions. Once I had to boot the liveCD to run boot repair.
And once when migrating a partition created on a SATA drive on a port set in the bios to IDE mode, it wouldn't work at all on a machine that only allowed AHCI for SATA ports. Not a likely scenario these days...
MSI 970A-G43 MB, AMD FX-6300 (six core), 16GB RAM, GeForce 730, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda XT 3TB

asqwerth
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#6 Postby asqwerth » Wed May 24, 2017 3:45 am

jmyersWVa wrote:This is about using Gparted to copy partitions. I have read/browsed the gparted help stuff,but still unsure.(multiple os on same drive) I've always been a "cloner". The distros installed are (win7(defunct)) & Mepis 12. MX14/15/16. (which I can Snapshot,not an issue) I'd just like to get some feedback from users who have copied partitions & the success rate of getting them bootable.

Thanks

Edit. The reason I want to copy the Mepis 12 is to preserve/archive it on a smaller drive.

I do it all the time. You just have to make sure that the partition on the backup disk is larger than the partition you want to copy over.

I have a whole external USB drive that contains backup partitions of some of the distros on my multiboot PC. They tend to be the rolling distros, where a difficult upgrade might mess things up. So I save the partition then initiate the upgrade. I also use it where I wish to move partitions around or transfer them to my laptop.

It's not a problem, save that it might take some time to paste (ie, write) the copied partition onto the backup partition. After pasting it, I boot into my main grub-controlling distro and run:

sudo update-grub

so that the new pasted partition is recognised by the system. After that, your main distro's grub should be able to boot into it.

I have not done this with Windows, though. It's been all Linux distros.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Return to “Mepis 12 Beta”