Live Grub UEFI boot menu

Any background image or other artwork submissions must include copyright information and explicit permission of the image's original creator to use the image. This includes a direct post of the image or links to a compiled image archive.
anticapitalista
Developer

Live Grub UEFI boot menu

#1 Post by anticapitalista »

I think the menu we see when booting live UEFI could be improved, but I'm not the person to do this. Others have a much sharper graphics eye.

The contents can be found here: https://github.com/anticapitalista/mx-uefi-menu-live

I guess it is the theme.txt and icons that need changing.
If possible, it would be great if it could look as much as possible like the theme when booting legacy live.
(ie blues, whites, grey and blacks)
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

Utopia
Administrator

Re: Live Grub UEFI boot menu

#2 Post by Utopia »

If the first two lines were removed, the proportions should be a little bit more like the legacy. That is, the "Welcome to MX-15" and the "MX-15 UEFI Live Session GRUB2 menu". Are they necessary? Most of the information is in the first menu entry.
The word "UEFI:" could be added instead, just above the menu entries and aligned with the left side of them.
If the highlight was blue and the yellow lines were gray, I think it should pass as a good enough imitation of the legacy.
And the same font size, isn't it smaller in the UEFI?
Made a very simple mock-up to show what I mean, still using the small font.
Henry

kmathern
Developer

#3 Post by kmathern »

The orange progress indicator for the timeout doesn't really match either.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#4 Post by dolphin_oracle »

the resolution of the legacy bootloader is 800x600 I think. The uefi bootloader is much higher. Can you set it lower and bring the text at the bottom of the uefi loadercloser to the menus?

and I suggest renaming the "Custom Boot" to something like "Boot with options (locales, persist, mount, etc...)

Is there a way to preview theme changes?
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

kmathern
Developer

#5 Post by kmathern »

Personally I don't like for the legacy menu @800x600, the text is much too large on my 1600x900 display, I don't really want the UEFI menu to match that look.

richb
Administrator

#6 Post by richb »

kmathern wrote:Personally I don't like for the legacy menu @800x600, the text is much too large on my 1600x900 display, I don't really want the UEFI menu to match that look.
It should look pleasing on all displays. On my 1366 x 768 it is just about the right size. Compromises should be made.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#7 Post by dolphin_oracle »

kmathern wrote:Personally I don't like for the legacy menu @800x600, the text is much too large on my 1600x900 display, I don't really want the UEFI menu to match that look.
and that makes some sense as its a more modern machine that would have uefi anyway.

how about using the space with additional menu entries (since there are no F key options), like the loader from antiX 13 with the entries for persistence on the menu instead of in the F keys? I would think options for root persistence, root only, safe, and failsafe would be sufficient on machines that would be booting uefi.

and it looks like there is a provision for a scroll bar (maybe for screens that are too small?)
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

kmathern
Developer

#8 Post by kmathern »

Turns out I misspoke, the legacy syslinux menu @800x600 isn't that bad (though the text is a little larger than I like).

It's the grub menu on a harddrive install on my machine that looks bad, if you don't set a resolution it autosets itself to a 640x480 resolution.

anticapitalista
Developer

#9 Post by anticapitalista »

kmathern wrote:The orange progress indicator for the timeout doesn't really match either.
Yes, what about having it some shade of blue?
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

Utopia
Administrator

#10 Post by Utopia »

A difference between them can be seen in Virtualbox. The UEFI menu goes full screen, while the legacy remains small. Don't know why.
Henry

Return to “MX Art”