Regarding Current Kernel Alert

asqwerth
Developer

Re: Regarding Current Kernel Alert

#11 Post by asqwerth »

I think zimbodel just wants a secondary kernel installed so that when he reboots - which he hasn't done since the 4.19 kernel issue - he has something that works if his 4.19 doesn't.

If I'm correct in my understanding, zimbodel, the first step is to paste the output of MX Tools >> Quick system info here so that we know your hardware specs.

If it's seen to be older hardware, then installing Debian Stretch 's default 4.9 kernel from MXPI>>Popular Apps>> kernel will be a good bet. If it's much newer hardware, I would recommend the latest Liquorix 5+ kernel from MXPI>> Test Repo tab.

One last question: right now do you only have 1 kernel installed or have you already installed others?

Check in Thunar: /boot folder

how many different vmlinuz files do you have?
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#12 Post by JayM »

asqwerth wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:27 am I think zimbodel just wants a secondary kernel installed so that when he reboots - which he hasn't done since the 4.19 kernel issue - he has something that works if his 4.19 doesn't.
Ah, OK, that makes sense. Just having a backup kernel available, just in case. That's actually a very good idea.

Maybe MX-19 (or 18.4 if there will be one) could ship with the 4.9 kernel also preinstalled but not configured to boot by default? There are a few people with older hardware that are already having problems with 4.19 (Yours Truly included) so it would be nice if an alternative, older kernel was already available to them without having to be installed first (which they can't do if they can't boot or have frequent lock-ups), so if they had kernel issues they could fall back to 4.9. It would also be there in case something ever goes wrong with the default kernel again. That is, if a second kernel wouldn't bloat the .iso too much.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

asqwerth
Developer

#13 Post by asqwerth »

The live kernel updater plus the antiX CLI apt tools (preinstalled in MX) do allow you to install a new kernel on your live-running USB when it's in non graphical mode. Never actually tried it myself. T'was the basis for fehlix's fix for some members whose live USB persistent install got hit by the kernel issue, IIUC.

Only thing is that most people probably won't know about it unless they read up or ask in the forum.
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)

Jerry3904
Administrator

#14 Post by Jerry3904 »

Or have read the Blog post (MX Home > News) that was linked to social media and reposted to over 10,000 users.

If I were to suggest to our users how to keep up on the latest developments, it would be to subscribe to the Blog and follow us on Twitter. Wonder if we could add that to the last screen of the Installer...?
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#15 Post by JayM »

asqwerth wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:40 am The live kernel updater plus the antiX CLI apt tools (preinstalled in MX) do allow you to install a new kernel on your live-running USB when it's in non graphical mode. Never actually tried it myself.
I tried it myself a day of two ago but wasn't successful for various reasons, mostly to do with the USB stick I was using, I think. I'll try it again when I get time.

My thought was actually to include both the 4.19.x and 4.9.x kernels in the MX iso, with 4.19 booting by default but 4.9 also being available to boot from in grub's advanced options, so if a newbie needed the older kernel it would be there already. It would be much easier to tell him how to boot with 4.9 instead of 4.19 vs. talking him through installing 4.9 on a persistent USB, remastering, then running the live kernel updater. That's a lot of technical hoops to ask a Linux newbie to jump through, as opposed to the 4.9 kernel being already preinstalled and able to be booted when needed. I think there are enough users with older hardware having lock-up and other issues with the 4.19 kernel, judging by the number of posts I've seen where the older kernel is being recommended for old systems, to warrant also making 4.9 available on the Live USB. Again, if having two kernels preinstalled wouldn't bloat the ISO or Live USB too much.

It could also be a "selling point" as it were. The MX web site, under Products/Current Release Features, says
Kernels (secured against known vulnerabilities)

32bit: Linux kernel 4.19.5 PAE (non-PAE kernel: antiX). Very stable kernel for many machines.
64bit: linux-image-4.19.5-amd64. Recent stable kernel for newer machines.
Easy kernel upgrade or downgrade with MX Package Installer
It could also add that Debian Linux kernel 4.9 is also preinstalled and available for older machines that may have issues with newer kernels.

Swings! :happy:
Last edited by JayM on Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:00 am, edited 6 times in total.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

komer

#16 Post by komer »

Post deleted by author.
Last edited by komer on Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

asqwerth
Developer

#17 Post by asqwerth »

It is a good idea, I agree.

But as much as I can understand it, the live system has a different bootloader I think. For the installed system, Grub has the menu from which you can select between kernels. I don't know if you can actually do that in live system.

Perhaps go to MX Bugzilla and propose this as a new feature?

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#18 Post by JayM »

I already know what Jerry's going to say when he reads this so I've already submitted it as an enhancement request in the MX/antiX Bugzilla. :grin:

Jerry3904
Administrator

#19 Post by Jerry3904 »

Great idea, and terrific use of Bugzilla.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#20 Post by JayM »

asqwerth wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:23 am It is a good idea, I agree.

But as much as I can understand it, the live system has a different bootloader I think. For the installed system, Grub has the menu from which you can select between kernels. I don't know if you can actually do that in live system.

Perhaps go to MX Bugzilla and propose this as a new feature?
Oh, you're right. I forgot that the live USB doesn't use grub. I added a comment in bugzilla to that effect. It will entail allowing a choice between kernels in the USB's bootloader which adds complexity to my requested enhancement.
(Sorry.)

Return to “General”