[SOLVED] gsmartcontrol from mx test repo can't update drivedb

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

[SOLVED] gsmartcontrol from mx test repo can't update drivedb

#1 Post by JayM »

I upgraded my gsmartcontrol from the MX Test Repo and also installed xterm from the stable repo. In gsmartcontrol, when I click options/update drive database I have a message in xterm saying "bash: update-smart-drivedb; command not found". When I do a catfish search of the file system for "update-smart" all it finds is a man page, update-smart-drivedb.8.gz, in /usr/share/man/man8.
Last edited by JayM on Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

Re: gsmartcontrol from mx test repo can't update drivedb

#2 Post by JayM »

I think I posted this in the wrong place. Maybe it belongs in the Package Requests / Status MX17/18 subforum.

It's gsmartcontrol 1.1.3 by the way. I've searched the repositories for the term "smart" and can't find update-smart-drivedb.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

timkb4cq
Developer

#3 Post by timkb4cq »

No debian version of smartmontools newer than jessie contains the update-smart-drivedb binary, although oddly they have the man file for it. Even that tool in MX-15 (jessie based) doesn't work anymore.

Code: Select all

$ sudo update-smart-drivedb 
[sudo] password for tim: 
/var/lib/smartmontools/drivedb/drivedb.h.error: rejected by /usr/sbin/smartctl, probably no longer compatible
MX is based on debian stretch, ergo...
HP Pavillion TP01, AMD Ryzen 3 5300G (quad core), Crucial 500GB SSD, Toshiba 6TB 7200rpm
Dell Inspiron 15, AMD Ryzen 7 2700u (quad core). Sabrent 500GB nvme, Seagate 1TB

ludolph

#4 Post by ludolph »

timkb4cq wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:11 am MX is based on debian stretch, ergo...
So... ? How to update drivedb? Is the Gsmartcontrol package 1.1.3 incomplete (missing update-smart-drivedb) or not?

I am a bit confused now.

timkb4cq
Developer

#5 Post by timkb4cq »

Gsmartcontrol never contained the update-smart-drivedb command. It was part of the smartmontools package that gsmartcontrol is a Gui front-end to.
HP Pavillion TP01, AMD Ryzen 3 5300G (quad core), Crucial 500GB SSD, Toshiba 6TB 7200rpm
Dell Inspiron 15, AMD Ryzen 7 2700u (quad core). Sabrent 500GB nvme, Seagate 1TB

ludolph

#6 Post by ludolph »

timkb4cq wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:54 am Gsmartcontrol never contained the update-smart-drivedb command. It was part of the smartmontools package that gsmartcontrol is a Gui front-end to.
yes ... you are right. So, why the update-smart-drivedb is missing at smartmontools, and why man page is still included?

I am just curious ... :confused:

EDIT: situation is more and more confusing, see
https://github.com/smartmontools/smartm ... /issues/22
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1574894

timkb4cq
Developer

#7 Post by timkb4cq »

The drivedb.h file was(is?) hosted at SourceForge. They changed their configuration several times, breaking the update script. Debian & Ubuntu disabled building the script because it didn't work.

Scroll to the bottom of the page on this smartmontools website page:
https://www.smartmontools.org/wiki/Download
and you can find the new drivedb.h files, which I assume you can download and manually replace the old ones with.

I'll see if the latest release can be built for MX-17/18 with the new update-smart-drivedb script.

ludolph

#8 Post by ludolph »

timkb4cq wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:02 am The drivedb.h file was(is?) hosted at SourceForge. They changed their configuration several times, breaking the update script. Debian & Ubuntu disabled building the script because it didn't work.

Scroll to the bottom of the page on this smartmontools website page:
https://www.smartmontools.org/wiki/Download
and you can find the new drivedb.h files, which I assume you can download and manually replace the old ones with.

I'll see if the latest release can be built for MX-17/18 with the new update-smart-drivedb script.
According to the https://www.smartmontools.org/wiki/Download:
"The above update method does no longer work for smartmontools older than 6.5.", but current version of smartmontools is 6.5, so I still do not understand what is wrong?

But anyway, please try to built this package with new update-smart-drivedb script.

timkb4cq
Developer

#9 Post by timkb4cq »

What's wrong is that Debian didn't include the update script in their packages.

ludolph

#10 Post by ludolph »

timkb4cq wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:21 am What's wrong is that Debian didn't include the update script in their packages.
For what reason? Version 6.5 and higher should work with sourceforge without any problem.

Return to “General”