Mirror Down??

aledie

Re: Mirror Down??

#11 Post by aledie »

manyroads wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:28 pm
[humor]If the 1 mirror it picks works, to my mind that is much better than having 'feature' in mx tools/ repo select a mirror that doesn't work. I personally like mirrors that work better, than having one that does not.[/humor] :bagoverhead:
You are completely correct, can you also teach me how to also help to understand:
[FYI: we added EvoWise just 2 weeks ago, the problem appeared just few days ago!]

-how to understand beforehand which one will work and which not?
-which one should be added to MX repo manager and which one not?
-which one doesn't work because it got temporarily some bug, will be fixed tomorrow, next week etc. And and which one is just bad bad fella?
-who decides which one shall be taken out of MX repo manager, after how long?
-or the mirror was in process of updates exectly the moment, when it failed on a user (we had it on another one today)?
-if it is not in repo manager we won't be able to test it. Tomorrow another one may get temporary problem, we take it out too?

We are adding mirror presence, we are testing them, we see a problem when someone fails on a mirror, like you today, we contact them, they fix the problem... If they don't after some time we take them out.

It's not like mirrors lining up to be added to MX repo manager, it is us requesting them to donate, yes donate the space and Bandwidth... Success rate maybe 1/10...

By the way, Try get a mirror in your city please, just one, in the area you have connections and speak the same language, as a test...
Maybe it will seem to you easier to just scroll few lines down and click once more, and give this new, as it seems good mirror, likely having temp bug some more days time. If it proved bad bad guy, definitely it will fly out, u guess
MX-18 (x64): HP 8460p, i5-2540M, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, HD3000

Adrian
Developer

#12 Post by Adrian »

mx-repo-manager uses "netselect" to find the closest and faster mirror, Anycast mirrors.evowise.com is only 10 hops away from me and responds in 2 ms, it's by far the BEST in this respect.

However, HOWEVER, are you really interested to get a 2ms response from a mirror or a 10ms or 20ms would be perfectly fine? That's a pretty silly measure that doesn't even really matter in case of mirrors, reliability is more important, just choose manually one repo next to your location and you'll be fine, if that doesn't seem to work fine try another one.

manyroads

#13 Post by manyroads »

Adrian wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:01 pm mx-repo-manager uses "netselect" to find the closest and faster mirror, Anycast mirrors.evowise.com is only 10 hops away from me and responds in 2 ms, it's by far the BEST in this respect.

However, HOWEVER, are you really interested to get a 2ms response from a mirror or a 10ms or 20ms would be perfectly fine? That's a pretty silly measure that doesn't even really matter in case of mirrors, reliability is more important, just choose manually one repo next to your location and you'll be fine, if that doesn't seem to work fine try another one.
Hi Adrian.
The surprise for me was that when I selected the magic button (3 different times) I got a mirror that did not function (was down). Once I picked LA only 1000miles (1600km) from my house, I was in business. Like most here, I've been at this for a little while, so non-functioning mirrors is not a huge surprise. slow ones are also common :snail: .

I was simply fooled into believing that the MX Tools Repo (pick a fast mirror) was working and would give me a fully functional mirror, which it didn't. Oh well. :eek: ;)
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

Adrian
Developer

#14 Post by Adrian »

manyroads wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:26 pm I was simply fooled into believing that the MX Tools Repo (pick a fast mirror) was working and would give me a fully functional mirror, which it didn't. Oh well. :eek: ;)
As I explained, it does work and it provides the response to the question "which one is the fastest?" it just doesn't check for database or other kind of errors. That's something that is very hard to do in a tool and it's apparent only when you run "apt-get update" Do you want me to run "apt-get update" on 130+ mirrors to see which one works best?

cyrilus31

#15 Post by cyrilus31 »

Adrian wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:31 pm
manyroads wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:26 pm I was simply fooled into believing that the MX Tools Repo (pick a fast mirror) was working and would give me a fully functional mirror, which it didn't. Oh well. :eek: ;)
As I explained, it does work and it provides the response to the question "which one is the fastest?" it just doesn't check for database or other kind of errors. That's something that is very hard to do in a tool and it's apparent only when you run "apt-get update" Do you want me to run "apt-get update" on 130+ mirrors to see which one works best?
Do you think it would be possible to display a warning, such as the fastest but not the "Best" (you understand what I mean)

manyroads

#16 Post by manyroads »

Adrian wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:31 pm
I wasn't worried about getting best mirror... But since you asked what I'd like ;) you could have the Select fastest Mirror for me button execute "sudo netselect-apt -s -n stretch" and offer the results of its mirror selection (for debian); then let people select the radial option. Alternatively, you could replace the button with a text message (recommendation) of "pick a mirror near you."

But truthfully, I think you do plenty as it is, and I don't really want to add to anyone's workload. Now that I know how this all works I'm happy to run cli tools and pick mirrors the old fashioned way. I'm an old guy after all. :lipsrsealed:
Pax vobiscum,
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

Adrian
Developer

#17 Post by Adrian »

manyroads wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:47 pm But since you asked what I'd like ;) you could have the Select fastest Mirror for me button execute "sudo netselect-apt -s -n stretch" and offer the results of its mirror selection (for debian); then let people select the radial option.
When you are in "Debian repos" if you click "find fastest repo" it runs netselect-apt and selects the best repo for you.

manyroads

#18 Post by manyroads »

Adrian wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:16 pm
manyroads wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:47 pm But since you asked what I'd like ;) you could have the Select fastest Mirror for me button execute "sudo netselect-apt -s -n stretch" and offer the results of its mirror selection (for debian); then let people select the radial option.
When you are in "Debian repos" if you click "find fastest repo" it runs netselect-apt and selects the best repo for you.
Arrrghhhh... :hitmyhead:
I just installed a new kernel and my default mxrepo is reset to the following non-operational mirror:

Code: Select all

E: Failed to fetch https://mirrors.evowise.com/mxlinux-packages/mx/repo/dists/stretch/non-free/binary-i386/Packages.gz  
E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
Once I reset the repo manually things worked again. I think this is in fact a bug... :eek:

Edit: I filed this in Bugzilla as Bug 42.
Pax vobiscum,

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#19 Post by dolphin_oracle »

I just installed a new kernel and my default mxrepo is reset to the following non-operational mirror:
I'm sorry that is not possible. the kernel install routines do not touch the apt repos lists. at all, like none. they don't even know those repos lists are there.

is it possible that in some other testing you just left the repo enabled? I mean, lord knows I've done that.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

manyroads

#20 Post by manyroads »

dolphin_oracle wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:57 am
I'm sorry that is not possible. the kernel install routines do not touch the apt repos lists. at all, like none. they don't even know those repos lists are there.

is it possible that in some other testing you just left the repo enabled? I mean, lord knows I've done that.
The only thing I did this morning was install 4.20.0

Yesterday, I had set my mx-repo once to LA and later to Kansas (KA?) using the radial button in MX Tools- Repos (mxrepos)
I, also, performed

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
Pax vobiscum,

Return to “General”