Thunderbird Behavior

Jerry3904
Administrator

Re: Thunderbird Behavior

#1 Post by Jerry3904 »

Thanks. You might have noticed that we were heavily involved with MX-18 at the time. Can I suggest that you report that on bugs.mxlinux.org so we can follow it as we respond? Thanks.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#2 Post by dolphin_oracle »

yeah, I see it.

try this:

when clicking a link from thunderbird, and the message in firefox for "Make Default Browser" comes up, uncheck the box for "automatically check ...." and then push "not now". This seems to hold for me for now, but I don't know if its permanent.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#3 Post by dolphin_oracle »

Bluesguy wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:50 pm Whew! Thanks dolphin ... I'll try it on my MX box (I'm at home on Xubuntu but at my office-MX tomorrow) ASAP ... tried it before ... check your mimeapplists and you'll see that Thunderbird adds itself to entries normally reserved for web-browsers ... mucho thanks for checking this out!
I hope it works out.

this is my mimeapps.list file (~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list)

Code: Select all

[Added Associations]
x-scheme-handler/http=exo-web-browser.desktop
x-scheme-handler/https=exo-web-browser.desktop
x-scheme-handler/mailto=exo-mail-reader.desktop
x-scheme-handler/file=exo-file-manager.desktop
x-scheme-handler/trash=exo-file-manager.desktop
text/plain=featherpad.desktop;
audio/x-vorbis+ogg=clementine.desktop;
audio/flac=clementine.desktop;
audio/mp3=clementine.desktop;
application/x-deb=gdebi.desktop
application/vnd.ms-htmlhelp=firefox.desktop;
application/xhtml+xml=firefox.desktop;
text/html=firefox.desktop;

[Default Applications]
text/plain=featherpad.desktop
audio/x-vorbis+ogg=clementine.desktop
audio/flac=clementine.desktop
audio/mp3=clementine.desktop
application/x-deb=gdebi.desktop;
application/pdf=qpdfview.desktop
image/png=nomacs.desktop
image/jpg=nomacs.desktop
image/jpeg=nomacs.desktop
image/gif=nomacs.desktop
image/bmp=nomacs.desktop
application/vnd.ms-htmlhelp=firefox.desktop
application/xhtml+xml=firefox.desktop
text/html=firefox.desktop
application/x-java-archive=Java.desktop
text/x-python=Py-Loader.desktop

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#4 Post by Eadwine Rose »

Also what you COULD try.. dunno if it will help but it did for me way back in the day with something else that I cannot even remember I saved this bit for:

Open a terminal, as root:

Code: Select all

update-alternatives --config x-www-browser
Choose the number of the one you want to always use on your system (the one you want as default), log out and in, and fingers crossed.
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-18-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

Gerson

#5 Post by Gerson »

I use Thunderbird as an email client and when I had Firefox installed (which already comes from MX17 as the default browser), clicking on a link from Thunderbird opened Firefox but never asked me if it was the default, I also used Opera and Chromium and never I saw that behavior that describes, what I noticed is that in several opportunities to use them together (Firefox and Thunderbird, without other open programs) slow down and freeze the system, which is why I uninstalled Firefox, now I use SlimJet as default and Brave as an alternative and I have not had any problems with Thunderbird.
Use Mx-18x64 on a Compaq Intel laptop with i3 and 4GB RAM
No todos ignoramos las mismas cosas. :confused:

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#6 Post by dolphin_oracle »

Bluesguy wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:46 pm
PS Another pain in the butt and utterly redundant is having Firefox "branded/modified" with links to MX? Why? There's already a help browser for that! Don't appreciate the fact that there's a Firefox user-profile pre-configured in the home directory. Causes a lot of unnecessary steps for users who migrate their pre-existing profiles into the Mozilla folder ... geez folks ,,. a la Linux Mint but without a search bar! c'mon ... VLC as well ... c'mon

Have a great day!
Thanks for posting all that, we appreciate it.

To be clear, we do not pre-populate a firefox profile. the links are provided by a distribution.ini file that is packaged with our firefox. If you already have a profile, one will not be generated. Any profile that is created is generated by firefox. all default user directory configurations are in /etc/skel.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#7 Post by dolphin_oracle »

Bluesguy wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:25 pm Hey dolphin
Thanks for the response ... hope to have pointed out a few hints as how to possibly clear out the cobwebs on this! Noticed you jumped on my gripe ... no harm done ... just don't like to see stuff in my home/folder that hasn't been created by me (or any other user(s) for that matter) ... and what you say is true ... I just add all the relevant links to MX into a folder that I place in a user(s) personal menu for easy access after migrating their profile ... the MX Forum is without a doubt an important venue for new users to search for fixes.

Did you have a look at your own .config/mimeapps.list to see if what I've said holds true for you as well since you concurred that you had seen the same thing as me? I don't have all the time in the world these days to try 'n find a permanent solution, but I'll certainly give it a shot. Have ta dig a little deeper in other distro's filesystems to see how they do it and then play around in my Debian sandbox ... by the way, the workaround that you offered me initially was what led me to deactivate the Firefox default thingy for good ...

Take care young man!
Ya i did take a look. The system is creating that file, it's not one made by us. So our only choice to modify is the one in ~/.local/share/applications in the future. I'll be playing with it for sure. Thanks!

And wasn't jumping on a gripe...just keeping things straight for folks that might read this post in the future.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#8 Post by dolphin_oracle »

apparently somewhere along the way, ~/.config/mimeapps.list became preferred to ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list. We will keep this in mind for the next version of MX.

aledie

#9 Post by aledie »

Has anyone experienced a problem with TB always sending the same email twice, or is it just me?
I set it up today, just standard settings, using Outlook.com email account:

Yes, I saw another post mentioning this:
http://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php? ... d8#p441566

However, the solution doesnt apply to my case as I have not checked "Place a copy in other" box under Tools/Account Settings/accountname/Copies & Folders.., only
"Place a copy in "Sent" folder on [email server in my case]"
MX-18 (x64): HP 8460p, i5-2540M, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, HD3000

aledie

#10 Post by aledie »

Seems this Issue was discussed since 2014, in connection with just Outlook.com accounts... The solution is to uncheck "Place a copy in "Sent" folder on [email server]"

"What apparently happens with IMAP is that (1) at send time, if you leave the copy option checked, TB will save a copy in the Send folder and (2) it will download the copy that gets created in the Send folder on hotmail. So step (1) can be safely eliminated."
MX-18 (x64): HP 8460p, i5-2540M, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, HD3000

Return to “General”