New Zealand Mirrors

asqwerth
Developer

Re: New Zealand Mirrors

#11 Post by asqwerth »

I think it's not very fruitful to insist on using the mirror geographically closest to you, if you already know it's flaky or takes longer to sync with the main mirrors.

Why not just choose a reliable, respectably-fast, quick-syncing mirror even if it's far away?

For instance, if the HK mirrors hadn't been added (thanks, aledie!), I would have happily continued on with the Italy mirrors even though they are far away from me in terms of location. It doesn't have to have the absolute fastest download speed (closer mirrors might often be fastest), so long as it's fast enough.

A fast download speed doesn't help me if it's still using an outdated package list because the mirror hasn't synced the latest updates yet.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Gordon Cooper

#12 Post by Gordon Cooper »

....mmmm. A bit strange. Using the box icon which was green, indicating an available update, I got this:
Update_14-1.png
Will look into this after dinner.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Backup: Dell9010, MX-19_B2, Win7, 120 SSD, WD 232GIB HD, 4GB RAM
Primary :Homebrew64 bit Intel duo core 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Kingston SSD, Seagate1TB.
MX-18.2 64bit. Also MX17, Kubuntu14.04 & Puppy 6.3.

aledie

#13 Post by aledie »

@Gordon Cooper:
The strange thing is, your terminal above tries for example to update mx-repo-list from 19.1.2 to 19.1.3

While I just updated no problem from the same Mirror - see my output above, from 19.1.3 to 19.1.4

Did you do sudo apt update in the first place?
Or maybe you edited repository sources manually (or you chose it from mx-repo-manager) and made some little typo somewhere?
MX-18 (x64): HP 8460p, i5-2540M, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, HD3000

aledie

#14 Post by aledie »

asqwerth wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:38 am I think it's not very fruitful to insist on using the mirror geographically closest to you, if you already know it's flaky or takes longer to sync with the main mirrors.
@asqwerth: Maybe because this particular mirror updates every 4h from Princeton, which updates hourly from our master, what gives you max. 6h update window better than many others? Further it has two nodes in Auckland and Christchurch, 2Gbps bw upto 20Gbps under load, very responsive maintainer...

That it's flaky I wouldn't say, we just added it a week ago, and at least for me seems updating in this 5-6 h window. I could use it today no problem.

It's just when I give such an essay above, the local user would expect almost immediate updates after USA, which might take few more hours ... Anyway, Gordon will look maybe the problem isn't the mirror (as said I just upgraded from there)

Gordon Cooper

#15 Post by Gordon Cooper »

asqwerth wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:38 am I think it's not very fruitful to insist on using the mirror geographically closest to you, if you already know it's flaky or takes longer to sync with the main mirrors.

Why not just choose a reliable, respectably-fast, quick-syncing mirror even if it's far away?

For instance, if the HK mirrors hadn't been added (thanks, aledie!), I would have happily continued on with the Italy mirrors even though they are far away from me in terms of location. It doesn't have to have the absolute fastest download speed (closer mirrors might often be fastest), so long as it's fast enough.

A fast download speed doesn't help me if it's still using an outdated package list because the mirror hasn't synced the latest updates yet.
The mirror I commented on is Christchurch/Auckland, which is not my nearest. I have been assisting aledie with promotion of the new mirrors in NZ,
hence my trial of Christchurch, and found a problem, which may or may not be a bug.

My nearest is the Debian mirror, only a few miles away from home, but it is flaky so I have been using Utah, and more recently
trialling Australia. In testing Christchurch I used the method used by many, a click on the icon in the panel. In this case it did
not function properly and I'm working to find the problem.
Primary :Homebrew64 bit Intel duo core 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Kingston SSD, Seagate1TB.

Adrian
Developer

#16 Post by Adrian »

Just a side remark beside the improvements in code, from MX-17 to MX-18 we went from a dozen mirrors to more than 100 because of aledie's push to get more mirrors (hopefully we'll calm down soon and stop adding mirrors because it becomes excessive) but it should be good news for remote places that have now a bit of options, New Zealand has a couple of mirrors we even got some mirrors in Australia. We'll figure out this kind of errors, sometimes it just takes a bit of time for the errors to clear up and mirrors to get in sync. Again, thank you aledie for your effort to get all these mirrors and of course thank you all the mirror providers.

Gordon Cooper

#17 Post by Gordon Cooper »

Have been running checks on the New Zealand mirrors. The original server at Tauranga is regularly late with updates (it is again today) while the newer mirrors at
Christchurch and Auckland are usually right up to date. Occasionally, they are all a few hours behind the source. Would recommend that anyone still using the
Tauranga mirror should change to Christchurch. Note that Christchurch and Auckland use a shared listing in the Repo Manager and there is automatic selection
depending upon your location.

aledie

#18 Post by aledie »

Announcement: NZ TheoM mirror

There is ongoing maintenance (until approx. Friday morning). You may be not able to connect or get updated state of packages. Suggest use Tauranga or one of Australian (s.a. Datamossa Syd, AusNetServers Syd/Mel, Launtel Tas) or New Caledonian (Lag@on) mirrors meanwhile.

@Gordon Cooper

handy

#19 Post by handy »

I'd be interested to read the speeds of download that other people get when using the NZ mirrors, as whenever I've tried it from Oz, the speed was terrible.
1_MSI: MAG B560 TORP', i5, RAM 16GB, GTX 1070 Ti 12GB, M2 238GB + USB, MX-23 Fb to Openbox
2_Lenovo: Ideapad 520S, i5, RAM 8GB, GPU i620, HDD 1TB, MX-21 - Openbox
3_Clevo: P150SM-A, i7, RAM 16GB, nVidia 8600, 2x 1TB HDD & M.2 256 GB, MX-21 - Openbox

aledie

#20 Post by aledie »

TheoM Mirror's primary is now resyncing and the mirror should be fully functional around 10pm NZ time.

Return to “General”