Welcome!
Forum users

Current releases
--MX-23 release info here
--Migration information to MX-23 here
--antiX-23.1 (Arditi del Popolo) release info here

Important information
--If in starting your system it boots to an unwanted Desktop, right click desktop, then select leave and logout. At the
login screen there is a session chooser at the top of the screen.

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- New Forum Features, Marking Solved and Referencing a User: here

Install mx-snapshot on Debian Stable

miks

Install mx-snapshot on Debian Stable

#1 Post by miks »

Hi Folks, I am wanting to remaster a very simple version of Debian to install on a novice friend's new Dell Inspiron with 7th gen i5, to replace the Ubuntu which came pre-installed. He is completely new to computers, so I need to make him a very simple custom version, preferable with KDE Plasma 5, as that's what I use and it will be easier to talk him through stuff on the phone if I am looking at a similar KDE setup. What is the easiest way to install install mx-snapshot in Debian?

dolphin_oracle
Developer

Re: Install mx-snapshot on Debian Stable

#2 Post by dolphin_oracle »

be aware that using the snapshot tool supposes an antiX-family system. While I suspect snapshot would work if you can get the depends installed, the live media will certainly have non-operable features on a straight debian setup.

but hey, give it a go. add the mx and (and maybe antiX repos, not sure if that one is needed) to your debian install and then install mx-snapshot. the depends should come down with it.

then remove the repos or else you may get some unxpected updates to your debian system.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Adrian
Developer

#3 Post by Adrian »

It's not going to work, it does stuff that relies of files and naming schemes that we use, like for example you'd need mx-iso-template which is the way MX builds the Live ISO which is different than how Debian does their live stuff AFAIK. And depends on things like mx installer since we want people who create ISOs to be able to install them. I don't recommend using it. If somebody knows what they are doing, if they are programmers they could make the tool work, but we haven't design it or tested it on straight Debian therefore it's a bad idea to use it.

dyfi

#4 Post by dyfi »

I believe snapshot was developed from Refracta. The link is below and these tools should work on a Debian install.

http://www.ibiblio.org/refracta/downloads.html

miks

#5 Post by miks »

Thanks all, I had not heard of Refracta, but will give it a try.

Return to “General”