Welcome!
Forum users

Current releases
--MX-23 release info here
--Migration information to MX-23 here
--antiX-23.1 (Arditi del Popolo) release info here

Important information
--If in starting your system it boots to an unwanted Desktop, right click desktop, then select leave and logout. At the
login screen there is a session chooser at the top of the screen.

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- New Forum Features, Marking Solved and Referencing a User: here

Problem with libstdc

radissthor

Problem with libstdc

#1 Post by radissthor »

Hi all,

I am running Mepis 12, but I have the same problem in an MX14 machine. I gave information about this problem in this thread, but because the initial topic was different I am continuing it here.

I am trying to run the latest version of praat but I get the following error message:

Code: Select all

./praat: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.18' not found (required by ./praat)
If I am reading this correctly, I need a different version of libstdc ?? I am not sure that is the case. Any assistance would be much appreciated, as I need to run praat for work :frown:

Cheers

kmathern
Developer

Re: Problem with libstdc

#2 Post by kmathern »

I see praat in the repos, though it's an older version (5.3.16) versus what you get from directly downloading it (6.0.05).

$ apt-cache policy praat
praat:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 5.3.16-1
  Version table:
     5.3.16-1 0
        500 http://httpredir.debian.org/debian/ wheezy/main i386 Packages
I would install and use the repo version if it works okay for you.

If you actually need the newer version, the sid source can probably be backported, it's still not the latest version but it's quite a bit newer than the Wheezy 5.3.16 version.

radissthor

#3 Post by radissthor »

kmathern wrote:I see praat in the repos, though it's an older version (5.3.16) versus what you get from directly downloading it (6.0.05).

$ apt-cache policy praat
praat:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 5.3.16-1
  Version table:
     5.3.16-1 0
        500 http://httpredir.debian.org/debian/ wheezy/main i386 Packages
I would install and use the repo version if it works okay for you.

If you actually need the newer version, the sid source can probably be backported, it's still not the latest version but it's quite a bit newer than the Wheezy 5.3.16 version.
I am afraid I do need the latest version, since otherwise sound does not work on Linux. Could the sid package be backported to Mepis?

kmathern
Developer

#4 Post by kmathern »

radissthor wrote:...I am afraid I do need the latest version, since otherwise sound does not work on Linux. Could the sid package be backported to Mepis?
I think it can be backported, it looks like it has pretty simple build depends. One of the CR packagers (Stevo, Tim or Mike) will probably see this topic and do it for you.

lucky9

#5 Post by lucky9 »

Or Dot the i, and make a request. There's a sub-forum just for such use. It is checked by those involved.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

mmikeinsantarosa
Developer

#6 Post by mmikeinsantarosa »

I'll see if I can get praat (6.0.4-2) to go on m12 after work today. - mike
LT: MX19.1 Quad Core model: Intel Core i7-6820HQ Kernel: 5.0.0-7.1-liquorix-amd64 x86_64

Stevo
Developer

#7 Post by Stevo »

Packages compiled against newer gcc versions, as in Sid, will often automatically require a newer version of that library. It's my guess that messing around with libstdc will result in a broken, dying system; that's why backporting something like praat is the best solution. Trying to force install a package from upstream Debian (or MX) is not a good idea.

mmikeinsantarosa
Developer

#8 Post by mmikeinsantarosa »

I was able to get praat-6.0.4-2 to build and run in m12, not so for m11 and am working on packages for MX15. The link to the m12 set has been sent up. - mike
LT: MX19.1 Quad Core model: Intel Core i7-6820HQ Kernel: 5.0.0-7.1-liquorix-amd64 x86_64

radissthor

#9 Post by radissthor »

mmikeinsantarosa wrote:I was able to get praat-6.0.4-2 to build and run in m12, not so for m11 and am working on packages for MX15. The link to the m12 set has been sent up. - mike
Thanks for the info Mike. I am just curious as what the build of Praat entails, since they don't provide any .deb packages, but only an executable file. In any case, looking forwards to the MX15 build.

Many thanks!

Stevo
Developer

#10 Post by Stevo »

I am just curious as what the build of Praat entails,
The beauty of backporting debianized source is that the backporter usually doesn't need to know what's going on under the hood--only if the normal backport recipe fails do we have to open it and get our hands dirty.

Even then, much of the detail work of making packages is now handled by debhelper, which has a good amount of heuristic AI.

Return to “General”