Welcome!

Please read this important information about MX sources lists.
News
  • MX Linux on social media: here
  • Mepis support still here
Current releases
  • MX-17 RC1 release info here
  • MX-16.1 release info here
  • antiX-17 release info here
    New users
    • Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
    • Read Forum Rules

password protected pdf printing with qpdf view

Help for Current Versions of Mepis
jean.iroz
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

password protected pdf printing with qpdf view

#1 Postby jean.iroz » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:13 am

I ran into a strange one this evening. A lady friend of mine needed her paycheck stubs printed from her email. She needed them for welfare and housing. No problem I told her. we logged into her email, downloaded the pdf atatchment and opened it with qpdfview. qpdfview prompts for the password and opens it with no problems. Went to print it and nothing happenned. I am using mx15 64 bit with a cannon pixma mp250 printer on an acer laptop with an intel core i3 proc. I opened the print que and saw my print job was stopped. Following the troubleshooting tree I got to the printer communication dialog and found that an invalid password existed that caused the printing to stop with the cups application. I was not prompted for a password before the document was sent to the printer. Is there applications we can use to print password locked documents or a suitable workaround for this. Pay checks are all going online with email so this will become a common problem. Is this a bug with cups? At any rate I worked around the issue by using screen capture and opening the saved file with gimp printing it as a png. A lot of fiddling for such a streight forward task.

thanks much for any help
jean

jean.iroz
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Re: password protected pdf printing with qpdf view

#2 Postby jean.iroz » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:10 am

I found a reference at the cups.org site refering to redistilling encrypted pdf files not allowed. Is this applicable to my situation. The comments refer to modifying the cups config file in ways that i find difficult. Here is the link https://www.cups.org/pipermail/cups/201 ... 25798.html
jean

Richard

#3 Postby Richard » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:55 am

2 ideas:
1. try it with Acroread
or
2. use qpdf to decrypt the file
MX16 p1-x64: desktop, 4 GB RAM, 4.7.0-0.bpo.1-amd64
MX160-386: netbook, 1 GB RAM, w/3.16.0-4-686-pae.
DoubleCmd-9, LibO-5.4.3.2, Dropbox, Slimjet, Lazarus, CherryTree, Vbox

jean.iroz
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#4 Postby jean.iroz » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:43 am

SOLVED Acroread worked perfectly. I do remember in the cups article something about acroread ownership.

Acroread is propritary so I had to agree (arrg). Thankyou for making it available.

JEAN

Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#5 Postby Jerry3904 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:10 am

In the section on Encryption of this Wiki document about PDF use

http://www.mepiscommunity.org/wiki/applications/pdf

we have a link to this page:

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/removing-p ... -on-linux/

If you had time to test that solution using qpdf on your document, I would be grateful.
Production: 4.7.0-0.bpo.1-amd64, MX-15 RC1, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, Kingston SSD 120 GB and WesternDigital 1TB
Testing: AAO 722: 3.16-0-4-686-pae. MX-15, AMD C-60 APU, 4 GB

Return to “Mepis Help”