-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Any idea what happened?

If you are having a problem with getting any of your computer's hardware to work with MEPIS or you can't find the right driver, this is the forum to use. It's for newbies and regular users to post questions. Just make sure to post what hardware you are having problems with, in the subject and not just in the post's text area, please.
asinoro
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Any idea what happened?

#1 Post by asinoro » Mon May 22, 2017 1:43 am

I mount on my MX15 an android tablet, I found via terminal and blkid the mount point /dev/sdb, and I restore an image that a year ago I had made with dd and gzip.
Before that I copied some important files from the tablet to the laptop.
The result is that all the files are the same of the image a year ago, but the install programs remain the same before the restoration of the image even though I use the gzip together with dd and theoretically and practically all the data had to be deleted.
This procedure I have never tried before on android but the procedure during the restoring it show from the terminal that had be done correct, consider the time it took, and the data it restored.
If your case is solved edit [Solved] to your initial post title to help other users.
Don’t forget to Backup your system
Fix your Grub

Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Any idea what happened?

#2 Post by Jerry3904 » Mon May 22, 2017 6:17 am

I don't quite understand. Can you provide a few more details or an example?
Production: 4.15.0-1-amd64, MX-17.1, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, Kingston SSD 120 GB and WesternDigital 1TB
Testing: AAO 722: 4.15.0-1-386. MX-17.1, AMD C-60 APU, 4 GB

asinoro
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#3 Post by asinoro » Mon May 22, 2017 6:43 am

This is the restore command of the stored backup image that I had done before.
gzip -dc /media/STORE/Lenovo/Android.img.gz | dd of=/dev/sdb bs=4096 conv=notrunc,noerror
After the restore of the image the document folder has for example A,B files where before the restore there where more files A,B,C,D etc. That is correct because before there were less files.
But there were not deleted all the recent programs installed on the tablet during the period after the backup.
If it is because was mounted the tablet, why then were delete only document files or restored and not delete the apps?
If your case is solved edit [Solved] to your initial post title to help other users.
Fix your Grub

dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#4 Post by dolphin_oracle » Mon May 22, 2017 6:50 am

Are you sure your image has the apps?

Android does a sort of emulated storage area presented to the user. It's actually kinda tough to remove system files without root access on the device.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-17
lenovo s21e & 100s - antiX-17, MX17(live-usb)
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

asinoro
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#5 Post by asinoro » Mon May 22, 2017 8:17 am

I think you are right about the android, just I thought that dd deletes everything but in this case not.
Fix your Grub

Return to “Hardware General”