-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Reformatting vs Deleting

If you are having a problem with getting any of your computer's hardware to work with MEPIS or you can't find the right driver, this is the forum to use. It's for newbies and regular users to post questions. Just make sure to post what hardware you are having problems with, in the subject and not just in the post's text area, please.
dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Reformatting vs Deleting

#21 Post by dolphin_oracle » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:37 pm

i lose them in the washer before they wear out. :)

except for a kingston datatraveler 2gb that probably went through the wash about 5 times. That thing wouldn't die.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-17
lenovo s21e & 100s - antiX-17, MX17(live-usb)
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

entropyfoe
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#22 Post by entropyfoe » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:11 pm

A week ago, my Corsaire Traveler 4G stick suddenly when dead. It was 4 years old and heavily used.
No warning, some data was lost since my last back-up. I did photorec, and recovered a bunch of file fragments.
I could not reformat it in Windows or Mepis.

So I smashed it with a hammer and tossed it.
Asus Prime 370X-Pro
AMD Ryzen 1600X (6 cores @ 3.6 GHz)
16 Gig DDR4 3200 (G Skill)
Nvidia -MSI GeForce GT 710 fanless
Samsung 960 NVMe SSD nvme0n1 P1,P2, and P3=MX-17.1, P4=antiX-17
1TB SSD sda1= Data, 2TB WD =backups
on-board ethernet & sound

GDixon
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#23 Post by GDixon » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:33 pm

hmmmm fragmented when copied over maybe?

I use the same feature on both my Samsung Blu-ray player and the Samsung T.V. never had any skipping prblems like that.

Have you tried to update the firmware on the player?

BitJam
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#24 Post by BitJam » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:37 pm

joany wrote:I have a BlueRay player with a USB port that enables me to play .mp4 video files from a flash drive on my TV set. Once in a while, a video skips ahead like it's fast forwarding and I then have to "stop" and "rewind" it. Maybe it's my imagination, but it seems that the videos don't skip as much if I reformat the flash drive before copying files onto it. When I just delete the old files and copy new ones, they seem to skip more often.
The file system that you use can make a big difference. I imagine you are forced to use a crappy file system such as fat32. For large video files, you want a file system with the extent feature which will try to make files contiguous on the disk. This can make a huge difference on hard drives. I don't know how much of a difference it will make on a flash drive but there are ways to measure this which I point out below.

I suggest you keep track of the md5sum of the video files and see if it changes but I don't think that is the cause of your problem. Even if the md5sum of the file remains correct, timing glitches (where parts of the file take much longer to read) can cause the problems you see.

The main thing to try is to look at the disk IO when reading the file. There are probably better ways (see below) but the disk IO graph in conky or gkrellm might suffice. Plug in the drive and do:

Code: Select all

time cp $VIDEO_FILE /dev/null
and look at the graph. If glitches show up in the graph, it may indicate places where the dvd player has trouble reading the file. Another thing to try is to use vlc or smplayer to watch the video with the disk IO graph running. If there is a glitch when you watch then it might correlate to a glitch in the disk IO.

The wear due to creating a new filesystem is completely and totally insignificant compared to the wear of writing a new bluray video file.

You might want to look at thesesuggestions for monitoring disk IO. You want something that monitors continuously and writes the results to a file that you can go back and look at to see if there were any problems.

joany
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#25 Post by joany » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:51 pm

BitJam wrote: The file system that you use can make a big difference. I imagine you are forced to use a crappy file system such as fat32. For large video files, you want a file system with the extent feature which will try to make files contiguous on the disk. This can make a huge difference on hard drives. I don't know how much of a difference it will make on a flash drive but there are ways to measure this which I point out below.

I suggest you keep track of the md5sum of the video files and see if it changes but I don't think that is the cause of your problem. Even if the md5sum of the file remains correct, timing glitches (where parts of the file take much longer to read) can cause the problems you see.

The main thing to try is to look at the disk IO when reading the file. There are probably better ways (see below) but the disk IO graph in conky or gkrellm might suffice. Plug in the drive and do:

Code: Select all

time cp $VIDEO_FILE /dev/null
and look at the graph. If glitches show up in the graph, it may indicate places where the dvd player has trouble reading the file. Another thing to try is to use vlc or smplayer to watch the video with the disk IO graph running. If there is a glitch when you watch then it might correlate to a glitch in the disk IO.

The wear due to creating a new filesystem is completely and totally insignificant compared to the wear of writing a new bluray video file.

You might want to look at thesesuggestions for monitoring disk IO. You want something that monitors continuously and writes the results to a file that you can go back and look at to see if there were any problems.
Thanks, BitJam. What you said makes a lot of sense. Yes, I suspect having the .mp4 files fragmented instead of contiguous could make them skip if the BlueRay player has trouble jumping between fragments. (My computer has no trouble playing them, just the BlueRay.)

I'm currently using the FAT32 file system -- a POS IMO -- which I don't believe supports the extent feature. I'll see if the BlueRay player accepts NTFS and play around with that if it does.

EDIT:
Okay, I formatted the flash drive NTFS and the BlueRay accepts it. So far, so good. I'll see if the "skipping" returns after deleting and adding more files.
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

Return to “Hardware General”