-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Mobile Intel 4 Chipset and Linux

If you are having a problem with getting any of your computer's hardware to work with MEPIS or you can't find the right driver, this is the forum to use. It's for newbies and regular users to post questions. Just make sure to post what hardware you are having problems with, in the subject and not just in the post's text area, please.
whell
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Mobile Intel 4 Chipset and Linux

#1 Post by whell » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:44 pm

This thread will hopefully pickup where this thread left off: http://forum.mepiscommunity.org/viewtop ... 11&t=36935

My challenge is this:

No matter what distro I try on this laptop - and I've tried Debian and non-Debian based distros - Linux can never seem to find the 2nd monitor that I have hooked up via HDMI. I've tried the cheat codes as well: acpi_osi=Linux, xdrvr=intel, nomodeset, etc, both alone and in combination, and none of them seem to find the monitor. Mepis 11 with no cheat codes finds the HDMI monitor just fine. Linux Mint found it just fine up through Mint 13. After that, no joy. So, I run Mepis 11 or Mint 13 both of which are supported for a couple more years. After that...?

By the way, the cheatcodes were reccommended to overcome a "backlight issue" that Linux had with this class of Intel video drivers. The laptops with this issue would boot to a black screen because the backlighting in the laptop failed to turn on.

I've attached a screenshop of xrandr output from Mint 13, which is one of the last distros that seems to work right wiht this video driver. When booting to Mint 17, I get this output from xrandr:

Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1366 x 768, maximum 32767 x 32767
LVDS1 connected primary 1366x768+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 344mm x 193mm
1366x768 60.1*+
1360x768 59.8 60.0
1024x768 60.0
800x600 60.3 56.2
640x480 59.9
VGA1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
HDMI1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
DP1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
DP2 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
VIRTUAL1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)

Notice that HDMI1 is listed as "disconnected." I can't figure out how to get Linux to see it, and connect to it. Any suggestions are appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Mobile Intel 4 Chipset and Linux

#2 Post by kmathern » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:25 am

Maybe try the "video=" cheat (https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/fb/modedb.txt)

Code: Select all

video=LVDS1:D video=HDMI1:D
edit: from what I see in the arch wiki https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/intel_graphics, I think you should also make sure you're not using the vga=xxx or nomodeset cheats

dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#3 Post by dolphin_oracle » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:49 am

Sometimes the HDMI is OFF by default. Try:

xrandr --output HDMI1 --on
from a command prompt.
Last edited by dolphin_oracle on Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-17
lenovo s21e & 100s - antiX-17, MX17(live-usb)
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#4 Post by kmathern » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:01 am

dolphin_oracle wrote:Sometimes the HDMI is OFF by default. Try:
xrandr --output HDMI1 on
from a command prompt.
Is there a "on" option? Looking at the xrandr manpage I see a "--off" option, but not a "on" or "--on" option.

Maybe "on" is implied when you select a particular output. In that case maybe try:

xrandr --output HDMI1 --right-of LVDS1
        • or

xrandr --output HDMI1 --auto --right-of LVDS1   #(see dolphin_oracle's post)
Last edited by kmathern on Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#5 Post by dolphin_oracle » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:11 am

I used on and off while trying to figure out the HDMI switching script.

but if "on" is gone (I'm a poet...) then try "auto" instead.

***edit*** actually I used "auto" in my script so maybe there is no ON after all.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-17
lenovo s21e & 100s - antiX-17, MX17(live-usb)
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

whell
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#6 Post by whell » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:54 pm

Sadly, no joy. :frown:

I tried a number of combinations of cheat codes / no cheat codes and xrandr commands / no xrandr commands. I still get the XRANDR output that tells me that HDMI1 is "disconnected". But I can reboot and boot up Mepis 11 and it finds the HDMI monitor with no extra commands or cheat codes at all.

Still stumped. Any other thoughts on this (and thanks for so for the suggestions!).

uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#7 Post by uncle mark » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:07 pm

whell wrote:Sadly, no joy. :frown:

I tried a number of combinations of cheat codes / no cheat codes and xrandr commands / no xrandr commands. I still get the XRANDR output that tells me that HDMI1 is "disconnected". But I can reboot and boot up Mepis 11 and it finds the HDMI monitor with no extra commands or cheat codes at all.

Still stumped. Any other thoughts on this (and thanks for so for the suggestions!).
This is the same machine? Works with M11 but not MX?

Do this at your own risk:

Run sgfxi, if for no other reason than it will create an xorg.conf file. In fact, run it twice, just to make sure you've got the driver fully installed.

Then delete the entire contents of the MX xorg.conf file, and replace them with the contents of the M11 xorg.conf file.

Cross you fingers and hope there's no smoke leaks.
Desktop: Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia -- MEPIS 11
Laptop: Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX-15
Assorted junk: assorted Linuxes

whell
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#8 Post by whell » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:28 pm

Correct, same machine. I've got Mepis 11 and Mint 13 on two different partitions. Both are able to find the HDMI monitor with no issues. Later versions of the same distros - either Mepis 12 of MX-14, or any version of Mint later than 13 - do not want to play nice with my HDMI monitor. And this isn't unique to later versions of Mepis or Mint either. Any Debian - based distro that I've tried, and also Fedora (what an ugly experience) and PCLinuxOS I've had the same challenges with.

uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#9 Post by uncle mark » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:51 pm

You probably should wait for the gurus to weigh in, but I still think my suggestion has a possibility of working. Emphasis on possibility.
Desktop: Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia -- MEPIS 11
Laptop: Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX-15
Assorted junk: assorted Linuxes

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#10 Post by kmathern » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:59 pm

uncle mark wrote: This is the same machine? Works with M11 but not MX?

Do this at your own risk:

Run sgfxi, if for no other reason than it will create an xorg.conf file. In fact, run it twice, just to make sure you've got the driver fully installed.

Then delete the entire contents of the MX xorg.conf file, and replace them with the contents of the M11 xorg.conf file.

Cross you fingers and hope there's no smoke leaks.
I don't think either M11 or MX14 create a xorg.conf by default. But if I recall correctly, they do both have some cheats that will create a xorg.conf, xdrvr=intel confx for M11, just xdrvr=intel for MX14 (I think). I kind of doubt that it will make any difference, but you can try them, as well as the xorg.conf that sgfxi creates.

I also wonder if maybe just a minimal xorg.conf with this "ReprobeOutput" option might work. (it's an option you can use with the Xorg intel driver)

$ man intel | grep ReprobeOutputs -A4
       Option "ReprobeOutputs" "boolean"
              Disable or enable rediscovery of connected displays during server startup.  As the kernel driver loads it scans for connected displays and configures a con‐
              sole  spanning those outputs. When the X server starts, we then take the list of connected displays and framebuffer layout and use that for the initial con‐
              figuration. Sometimes, not all displays are correctly detected by the kernel and so it is useful in a few circumstances for X to force the kernel to reprobe
              all  displays  when it starts. To make the X server recheck the status of connected displays, set the "ReprobeOutputs" option to true.  Please do file a bug
              for any circumstances which require this workaround.

Default: reprobing is disabled for a faster startup.
I think a minimal xorg.conf with it would look like:

Section "Device"
  Identifier  "Card0"
  Driver "intel"
  option "ReprobeOutputs" "true"
EndSection

edit: the "ReprobeOutputs" option is only available in the updated version of the xserver-xorg-video-intel package, it wasn't in the original wheezy version
Last edited by kmathern on Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Hardware General”