-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

New libmtp and Intel video driver in Wheezy-backports

If you are having a problem with getting any of your computer's hardware to work with MEPIS or you can't find the right driver, this is the forum to use. It's for newbies and regular users to post questions. Just make sure to post what hardware you are having problems with, in the subject and not just in the post's text area, please.
Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

New libmtp and Intel video driver in Wheezy-backports

#1 Post by Stevo » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:27 pm

The new libmtp actually displayed every file and folder correctly on the SD card in my Android tablet using kio-mtp with KDE, plus now I can actually open the files from the device on my laptop!

I can't test the video driver, but it may speed up video with SNA acceleration, and it's supposed to add full support of Haswell chip video hardware (22 nm process) I think we need a list of all the other ways of identifying the hardware, and see if it makes an improvement, then we can add the new driver to the guide. Is anyone running that sort of Intel chip?

Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: New libmtp and Intel video driver in Wheezy-backports

#2 Post by Jerry3904 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:43 am

The new libmtp could help a lot!
Production: 4.15.0-1-amd64, MX-17.1, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, Kingston SSD 120 GB and WesternDigital 1TB
Testing: AAO 722: 4.15.0-1-386. MX-17.1, AMD C-60 APU, 4 GB

Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#3 Post by Jerry3904 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:53 am

Wowza!

Everything works as it should now with my Samsung Galaxy 5--terrific update, Stevo!
Production: 4.15.0-1-amd64, MX-17.1, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, Kingston SSD 120 GB and WesternDigital 1TB
Testing: AAO 722: 4.15.0-1-386. MX-17.1, AMD C-60 APU, 4 GB

whell
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#4 Post by whell » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:26 pm

My laptop has an Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset. I forever have had trouble finding a newer distro that works well with this chip, yet older distros (like Mepis 11) work fine with it. I wonder if the newer driver might allow me to finally install a newer Debian - based distro on my laptop?

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#5 Post by Stevo » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:57 pm

Jerry3904 wrote:Wowza!

Everything works as it should now with my Samsung Galaxy 5--terrific update, Stevo!
Just to be clear, I didn't backport libmtp, wheezy-backports did. It must have have got into Sid just after my last check of it. Yes--Sept. 11. Now they need to backport some better front-ends to it, like we have.

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#6 Post by Stevo » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:01 pm

whell wrote:My laptop has an Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset. I forever have had trouble finding a newer distro that works well with this chip, yet older distros (like Mepis 11) work fine with it. I wonder if the newer driver might allow me to finally install a newer Debian - based distro on my laptop?

If it's a GM 4500 (GM45), I remember having one of those that required a kernel cheat to force it to use the Intel driver instead of VESA on a version of MEPIS--either M8.5 or M11. Usually older hardware like yours just work out of the box with the Intel driver--what trouble does it have getting to the GUI in MX?

whell
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#7 Post by whell » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:53 pm

Stevo wrote:
whell wrote:My laptop has an Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset. I forever have had trouble finding a newer distro that works well with this chip, yet older distros (like Mepis 11) work fine with it. I wonder if the newer driver might allow me to finally install a newer Debian - based distro on my laptop?

If it's a GM 4500 (GM45), I remember having one of those that required a kernel cheat to force it to use the Intel driver instead of VESA on a version of MEPIS--either M8.5 or M11. Usually older hardware like yours just work out of the box with the Intel driver--what trouble does it have getting to the GUI in MX?
No trouble getting to the desktop. The challenge is that it no matter what distro I try on this laptop - and I've tried Debian and non-Debian based distros - Linux can never seem to find the 2nd monitor that I have hooked up via HDMI. I've tried the cheat codes as well: acpi_osi=Linux, xdrvr=intel, nomodeset, etc, both alone and in combination, and none of them seem to find the monitor. Mepis 11 with no cheat codes finds the HDMI monitor just fine. Linux Mint found it just fine up through Mint 13. After that, no joy. So, I run Mepis 11 or Mint 13 both of which are supported for a couple more years. After that...?

My other laptop that has the Nvidia graphics chip has no problem finding / controlling the external monitor.

Utopia
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#8 Post by Utopia » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:10 am

Did you check the full list of kernel boot parameters?
http://redsymbol.net/linux-kernel-boot-parameters/3.12/
When they change things, a boot parameter is added to make it possible to use old hardware.
Henry

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#9 Post by kmathern » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:56 am

whell wrote:
Stevo wrote:

No trouble getting to the desktop. The challenge is that it no matter what distro I try on this laptop - and I've tried Debian and non-Debian based distros - Linux can never seem to find the 2nd monitor that I have hooked up via HDMI. I've tried the cheat codes as well: acpi_osi=Linux, xdrvr=intel, nomodeset, etc, both alone and in combination, and none of them seem to find the monitor. Mepis 11 with no cheat codes finds the HDMI monitor just fine. Linux Mint found it just fine up through Mint 13. After that, no joy. So, I run Mepis 11 or Mint 13 both of which are supported for a couple more years. After that...?

My other laptop that has the Nvidia graphics chip has no problem finding / controlling the external monitor.
Does the HDMI monitor appear in the output of:

Code: Select all

xrandr
      • or

Code: Select all

xrandr -q --verbose
If it does, I think you can add it as a 2nd monitor with xrandr's --output option.
{btw, you should probably open a new topic for this}

whell
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#10 Post by whell » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:36 pm

Utopia wrote:Did you check the full list of kernel boot parameters?
http://redsymbol.net/linux-kernel-boot-parameters/3.12/
When they change things, a boot parameter is added to make it possible to use old hardware.
Henry
No, that's not something that I reasonable would be able to do. Reading that page, most of the info provided is over my head. Instead I searched Google and tried to find posts of folks who were having similar issues with similar hardware. That got me to the point of being able to boot to the desktop, which at first was not possible. However, the HDMI issue is still present.

Return to “Hardware General”