-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Solved - Not possible to upgrade the CPU to a SSE2 version

If you are having a problem with getting any of your computer's hardware to work with MEPIS or you can't find the right driver, this is the forum to use. It's for newbies and regular users to post questions. Just make sure to post what hardware you are having problems with, in the subject and not just in the post's text area, please.
namida12
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Solved - Not possible to upgrade the CPU to a SSE2 version

#1 Post by namida12 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:15 pm

MSI motherboard K750M currently has a SSE CPU, and I am looking for CPU upgrade information. My Google skills are not up to this skill apparently, or i am blind again on this humid afternoon.

Scattered showers and thunderstorms. High 89F. Winds SSE at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 60%. Localized flooding is likely in low areas.

JR
Last edited by namida12 on Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jdmeaux1952
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: I would like to upgrade the CPU to a SSE2 version

#2 Post by jdmeaux1952 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:22 pm

http://huntingdrivers.blogspot.com/2007 ... anual.html for the manual.

I can't find anything (except for drivers and the one about the manual) for MSI K750M motherboard. If you have the manual, you should be able to find out that cpus fit.

Your weather sounds like normal Southern Louisiana weather. Ignor it. It will go away eventually. :happy:
MSI S6000 i5-460M 4Gb mem
I am not CrAzY. And I have a paper from the doctors to prove it!
LRU# 563815
Phear the Penguin

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#3 Post by kmathern » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:39 pm

I'm also having a hard time finding the specifications for a MSI K750M motherboard.

What kind of cpu is in the board right now?

If it has a 32bit AMD cpu (e.g. Athlon XP 3000, etc.) in it, it might be a "Socket A" board. In that case I think the only alternative is another "Socket A" 32bit AMD cpu, and I don't think any of them included SSE2.

uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#4 Post by uncle mark » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:46 pm

namida12 wrote:MSI motherboard K750M currently has a SSE CPU, and I am looking for CPU upgrade information. My Google skills are not up to this skill apparently, or i am blind again on this humid afternoon.
You sure it's not an ECS rather than an MSI?

http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Produc ... 24&LanID=0

That would make it a Socket 462 (Socket A).

Looks like a Duron, Athlon XP, or Sempron would work. The devil is in the details.
Desktop: Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia -- MEPIS 11
Laptop: Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX-15
Assorted junk: assorted Linuxes

Adrian
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#5 Post by Adrian » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:52 pm

Another thing would be to open the computer, take the CPU out and see if you seen anything written on the socket, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socket_A

if not you can take a picture and compare with other AMD sockets...

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#6 Post by kmathern » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:19 pm

kmathern wrote:... In that case I think the only alternative is another "Socket A" 32bit AMD cpu, and I don't think any of them included SSE2.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSE2#Notab ... rting_SSE2
...The following CPUs implemented IA-32 after SSE2 was developed, but did not implement SSE2:

AMD CPUs prior to Athlon 64, including all Socket A-based CPUs ...

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#7 Post by Stevo » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:54 pm

namida12 wrote:MSI motherboard K750M currently has a SSE CPU, and I am looking for CPU upgrade information. My Google skills are not up to this skill apparently, or i am blind again on this humid afternoon.

Scattered showers and thunderstorms. High 89F. Winds SSE at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 60%. Localized flooding is likely in low areas.

JR
We could use any rain at all here in Socal, but looks like we won't get any except for popup thunderstorms in the mountains, though we did have heavy rain in the deserts (Palm Springs) this AM. Phoenix has also had their rainiest day ever today, with over three inches.

Checking your streaming Las Vegas cam, I see it's raining pretty good there now: http://www.earthcam.com/usa/nevada/lasv ... am=sign_hd

Return to “Hardware General”