-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Kindle Fire USB Interface Software for Linux?

If you are having a problem with getting any of your computer's hardware to work with MEPIS or you can't find the right driver, this is the forum to use. It's for newbies and regular users to post questions. Just make sure to post what hardware you are having problems with, in the subject and not just in the post's text area, please.
Topher
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Kindle Fire USB Interface Software for Linux?

#31 Post by Topher » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:02 pm

joany
1. Verify there is a file named /usr/bin/kioclient in your system.
2. Verify there is a file named usr/share/kde4/apps/solid/devices/solid-device-PortableMediaPlayer.desktop in your system.
Both files are there.
1. Right-click on Device Notifier and navigate to Device Notifier Settings > Device Actions and look for "Open with File Manager (MTP connect)".
2. Double-click "Open with File Mangager (MTP connect)" and write down all the existing settings
My settings are exactly the same as yours.

Completely off topic - Looking at that screen shot, what theme are you using? It looks like it would be easier on my old eyes than the theme I am using.
MX15 MoBo ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 CPU AMD Phenom II X4 945 PSU CORSAIR CX500 (CMPSU-500CX) RAM Crucial CT2KIT25664BA1339 HD WD5000AAKX Wireless EDIMAX EW 7128g

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#32 Post by Stevo » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:10 pm

joany wrote:
Stevo wrote:We never tried backporting the newer libmtp packages for M11. That's what handles the newer hardware recognition. I'm pretty sure they will need to have the "multiarch" part of the build and install deactivated.

Usually there will be some forum thread someplace if your search by the exact device model and "linux". I'll look around. If it's a really brand-new device, it may not be added to libmtp yet.

According to what I can find. the Nexus 10 was released Oct 2012 with Android 4.2, but is upgradable to 4.4.4. What version do you have running?
Yes, but this doesn't explain why Topher's MX-14/xfce setup works but his MX-14/KDE setup doesn't.
Oh, I thought it was not working, period. Joany, if you run Thunar in your KDE desktop, can you still connect with gvfs like in MX?

joany
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#33 Post by joany » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:33 pm

Stevo wrote: Oh, I thought it was not working, period. Joany, if you run Thunar in your KDE desktop, can you still connect with gvfs like in MX?
Well, I can open Thunar in KDE; however, when I plug in my Kindle and the Device Notifier opens, clicking on the action will launch Dolphin instead. The only way I can open the Kindle is through the Device Notifier. Opening Thunar or Dolphin won't let me navigate to directly to the Kindle. As Tim explained, there is no "mtp file system." Linux interacts with MTP devices differently than it does with ordinary files; i.e., it uses MTP commands to communicate with the devices. The file manager just acts as a kind of shell. Using KDE, the system chooses Dolphin as the file manager, and I don't know of a way to utilize Thunar to access MTP devices in KDE.
Topher wrote: Completely off topic - Looking at that screen shot, what theme are you using? It looks like it would be easier on my old eyes than the theme I am using.
I'm using the Air theme with the Crystal style window decoration. Crystal doesn't come as one of the standard choices, but you can install it by installing the kwin-style-crystal package from Synaptic. I think it gives the window decorations a nice rounded, 3-dimensional, semi-transparent look. I also played around a lot with fonts, and ended up using Ubuntu fonts, which I think are really elegant.
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

Topher
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#34 Post by Topher » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:43 pm

Going back to close to the beginning of joany's post, I see:
The Kindle is identified as "Portable Media Player" in Device Notifier with one available action: "Open with file manger MTP connect." Selecting that action brought up Dolphin with the Kindle's path defined as mtp:> Kindle > Internal Storage. I can split Dolphin's main window and drag 'n drop files. Success!
The only path I see is: MTP: > home
I don't know if that is a clue or not?
MX15 MoBo ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 CPU AMD Phenom II X4 945 PSU CORSAIR CX500 (CMPSU-500CX) RAM Crucial CT2KIT25664BA1339 HD WD5000AAKX Wireless EDIMAX EW 7128g

joany
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#35 Post by joany » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:36 am

Topher wrote:Going back to close to the beginning of joany's post, I see:
The Kindle is identified as "Portable Media Player" in Device Notifier with one available action: "Open with file manger MTP connect." Selecting that action brought up Dolphin with the Kindle's path defined as mtp:> Kindle > Internal Storage. I can split Dolphin's main window and drag 'n drop files. Success!
The only path I see is: MTP: > home
I don't know if that is a clue or not?
Just so I understand what you're seeing:

With the Nexus plugged in you clicked on the Device Notifier and selected "Open with file manager MTP connect," and Dolphin opened with "mtp:> home" showing in the address bar?

Is there an icon in the main window labeled "home"? Does clicking on that open a Nexus file structure?

Finally:

What version of kio-mtp is installed? Is it shown as "0.75+git20130806-2mcr120+2"?

And make sure these files present:

/usr/share/kde4/apps/solid/actions/solid_mtp.desktop
/usr/share/kde4/apps/konqueror/dirtree/remote/mtp-network.desktop

Even though the last one has "konqueror" in the path, I believe it's needed with Dolphin.
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+

Topher
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#36 Post by Topher » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:47 pm

What version of kio-mtp is installed? Is it shown as "0.75+git20130806-2mcr120+2"?
And make sure these files present:
/usr/share/kde4/apps/solid/actions/solid_mtp.desktop
/usr/share/kde4/apps/konqueror/dirtree/remote/mtp-network.desktop
The version of kio-mtp is the same as above and the two files above are present.
Is there an icon in the main window labeled "home"? Does clicking on that open a Nexus file structure?
There is nothing in the main window just a blank white area. It seems like it is trying to find a folder called home and cannot. In looking at the tablet in MX-xfce, there is no folder called home. The main folder is called "internal storage".

joany
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#37 Post by joany » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:11 pm

Topher wrote: There is nothing in the main window just a blank white area. It seems like it is trying to find a folder called home and cannot. In looking at the tablet in MX-xfce, there is no folder called home. The main folder is called "internal storage".
:hmm:

Try one more thing:

Type in the same address you get with MX-14/xfce in Thunar's address into Dolphin's address bar, hit <Enter> and see if that might kick start it. It might be mtp:> Nexus > Internal storage or something like that. (You can bring up Dolphin's navigation window feature by right-clicking on the path is shown and checking "Edit". Also make sure "Show Full Path" is selected.)

I know this probably won't work, but you never know. If it does, there might be an easy solution to your problem by modifying the command that brings up Dolphin from the Device Notifier.
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+

Topher
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#38 Post by Topher » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:13 pm

Type in the same address you get with MX-14/xfce in Thunar's address into Dolphin's address bar, hit <Enter> and see if that might kick start it. It might be mtp:> Nexus > Internal storage or something like that.
When I clicked on Dolphon's address bar it changed to: "mtp:Nexus 10/", but didn't get anything. I changed it to what Thunar had "mtp://[usb:004,003]/", but that doesn't work. Thunar in MX-KDE doesn't see the tablet at all.

joany
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#39 Post by joany » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:44 pm

Topher wrote: When I clicked on Dolphon's address bar it changed to: "mtp:Nexus 10/", but didn't get anything. I changed it to what Thunar had "mtp://[usb:004,003]/", but that doesn't work. Thunar in MX-KDE doesn't see the tablet at all.
I think you left out the "/" between "mtp:" and "Nexus 10/", i.e., it should be "mtp:/Nexus 10/". Are you sure you entered the right path?

Also,

1) I discovered that I don't have to use Device Notifier to open my Kindle; I can open Dolphin and navigate to it by typing in "mtp:/Kindle/" in the address bar. But it has to be entered exactly that way -- no "/" before the "mtp".

2) I discovered I can also enter this terminal command: dolphin mtp:/Kindle

3) This trick doesn't work with Thunar running in KDE -- only Dolphin.

I was hoping that if we could get 2) above to work on your system, all you would need to do is change the Device Notifier command to something like this: dolphin mtp:/Nexus 10

However, I'm beginning to think that mtp just does not work on your system for some reason. This is very puzzling, because all the right pieces are in place on your system as far as I can tell.

One final thought: What version of Dolphin are you using? Mine says it's "Version 2.0 Using KDE Development Platform 4.8.4"

EDIT

I also found out the Kindle works with Konqueror as well by entering this terminal command:
konqueror mtp:/Kindle

You might want to try that too.
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+

Topher
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#40 Post by Topher » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:09 pm

I think you left out the "/" between "mtp:" and "Nexus 10/", i.e., it should be "mtp:/Nexus 10/". Are you sure you entered the right path?
That was a typo on my part in answering you. I have tried all kinds of combinations on the Dolphin address bar.
When I tried to use Konquerer it had a problem with the space between Nexus and 10. I am wondering if Dolphin also has that problem???

PS - I just tried my old Kindle reader and MX-KDe opened it up just fine.

Return to “Hardware General”