-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

CD loading problem or maybe mobo problem???

If you are having a problem with getting any of your computer's hardware to work with MEPIS or you can't find the right driver, this is the forum to use. It's for newbies and regular users to post questions. Just make sure to post what hardware you are having problems with, in the subject and not just in the post's text area, please.
Topher
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: CD loading problem or maybe mobo problem???

#11 Post by Topher » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:37 pm

I can boot using antiX13 but not MX14, though I could a couple of weeks ago, and Parted Magic only boots to a command line but a couple of weeks ago it didn't do that either. I'll just have to let her know that something seems to be going wrong with her system.
MX16 MoBo ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 CPU AMD Phenom II X4 945 PSU CORSAIR CX500 (CMPSU-500CX) RAM Crucial CT2KIT25664BA1339 HD WD5000AAKX Wireless EDIMAX EW 7128g

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#12 Post by lucky9 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:55 pm

You might try disconnecting the HDD and boot the LiveCD of MX. If it boots that may mean the drive is what's causing the trouble.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

Topher
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#13 Post by Topher » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:16 pm

It starts to load and gets to 100% then that screen goes away and it starts to reboot.
You might try disconnecting the HDD and boot the LiveCD of MX. If it boots that may mean the drive is what's causing the trouble.
That didn't help - it loads the linux kernel - then starts to reboot.
MX16 MoBo ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 CPU AMD Phenom II X4 945 PSU CORSAIR CX500 (CMPSU-500CX) RAM Crucial CT2KIT25664BA1339 HD WD5000AAKX Wireless EDIMAX EW 7128g

rokytnji.1
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#14 Post by rokytnji.1 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:14 pm

I've expereinced what seemed like bios or motherboard problems from external bad usb devices plugged in. If just booting a live session.
Unplug everthing and see if you get to a desktop then.

Topher
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#15 Post by Topher » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:42 pm

I've expereinced what seemed like bios or motherboard problems from external bad usb devices plugged in. If just booting a live session. Unplug everthing and see if you get to a desktop then.
I don't have anything plugged in. I don't know if CD drives have the same problem that floppy drives used to have when you could read some floppys and not others because the heads got just a little bit out of spec.

BitJam
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#16 Post by BitJam » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:55 pm

Topher wrote:It starts to load and gets to 100% then that screen goes away and it starts to reboot [...] it loads the linux kernel - then starts to reboot.
Thanks. I don't know what is causing this. The fact that you get the same problem with other CDs indicates it is a hardware/BIOS problem. I've never seen this before.

Gaer Boy
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#17 Post by Gaer Boy » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:39 am

Topher wrote:It starts to load and gets to 100% then that screen goes away and it starts to reboot.
That didn't help - it loads the linux kernel - then starts to reboot.
I have had the same thing happen with USB sticks of MX-14 & MX-14.1.1 on my second machiine. Maybe three times in about 20 installs. With problems of this sort, I always try a second time and this has worked for me, so I've just counted it one of those odd things.

Phil

AsRock FM2A88X-ITX+, A8-6500, 8GB, 120GB Samsung SSD (GPT), 1TB HDD (MBR), MX-17.1
Lenovo Thinkpad X220, dual-core i5, 3MB, 320GB Hitachi HDD, Win7, MX-17.1

jdmeaux1952
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#18 Post by jdmeaux1952 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:49 am

The first thing I would do is to use one of those cd cleaner disks to attempt to clean the cd drive. A speck of dust or human hair can play havoc to the laser beam. This also applies to the cd burner you use to burn the disk.

Having additional external usb components can confuse the motherboard too. Unplug any you don't absolutely need.

The quality of the cd disk itself can cause a problem. Most people just buy whatever they can find at the store. You need a better quality disk for data than for audio. I know that sounds weird, but tests have shown this. Stick to a high quality brand. IMHO Ridata is a great all around brand that has had a great reputation. Out of the last 500 I have burned, I think maybe 6 were coasters.
MSI S6000 i5-460M 4Gb mem
I am not CrAzY. And I have a paper from the doctors to prove it!
LRU# 563815
Phear the Penguin

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#19 Post by lucky9 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:26 pm

Unplugging everything that's not needed to boot might help. This does sound like hardware.

On CD and DVD disks if you need to buy then buy the 'made in Taiwan' ones. Ridata is one of them that's made in Taiwan. Made in Japan are the best.

But clean the optical drive first. I usually run the cleaning disk at least 3 times. It doesn't take long and can make a major difference.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

gmagar
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#20 Post by gmagar » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:18 pm

I have specific Optical Drives that only work when matched up with specific machines and/or specific OSs. Truth is stranger than fiction. Switch out Optical Drives with one that is known to work with MX. Good Luck!
Linuxers Live By A CODE!

Return to “Hardware General”