-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

(SOLVED) Linksys Router Trauma

If you are having a problem with getting any of your computer's hardware to work with MEPIS or you can't find the right driver, this is the forum to use. It's for newbies and regular users to post questions. Just make sure to post what hardware you are having problems with, in the subject and not just in the post's text area, please.
muskt
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

(SOLVED) Linksys Router Trauma

#1 Post by muskt » Thu May 22, 2014 7:06 pm

Not specifically an MX problem; however, I request assistance.

A couple of evenings ago, my Internet connectivity and speed diminished severely.

Next day, I did a power down, power up on both the cable modem & router (Linksys E4200). All was well for a few minutes, then same slow down as earlier.

Checked my usage with my ISP, & holy cow my uploads were around 7G in 2 days. Very abnormal. Been playing with all that Google crap (I mean stuff) & thought it might be syncing things somewhere--Still don't know about that part.

Router now back to slow as a glacier. Connected desktop box via cable directly to cable modem & speed back to normal. Left things run for about an hour, and still at normal speeds.

Go to used computer store & liberate a used Linksys router (WRT 160N), not same model as other one, but still an N router. Took this one home & set it up and all was happy for about an hour or so, then the slow down reappeared. Back to the direct to the cable modem setup, & all is again happy.

Figured nothing to lose with the original router (E4200), so I installed DD-WRT basic on it. All was happy for about an hour and back to the slow down and really poor connectivity again. I did not install any of the DD-WRT updates, yet.

Talked with my ISP tech support, and got nowhere.

So, do any of you have any ideas? I really desire/need the wireless in my home. I have read about "the Moon" malware & linksys routers, but have not discovered any cure, or even if I have contracted it. I would hope that installing the DD-WRT would have wiped it out of the E4200.

Ideas & opinions, please.

Thanks,
Jerry in Anchorage

PS. Conditions first noticed in Windows 7, but exact same symptoms in MX.
Last edited by muskt on Fri May 23, 2014 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Linksys Router Trauma

#2 Post by uncle mark » Thu May 22, 2014 7:23 pm

I'd say you're getting throttled and they aren't owning up to it. Two different routers with three different firmwares tells me it's not the router. Run direct for longer and see if it eventually goes south with the direct connection.

Also, is there any chance you've got a neighbor that's hijacked your connection? Change passwords for sure, and network name, too. Hide the network name if you can.
Desktop: Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia -- MEPIS 11
Laptop: Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX-15
Assorted junk: assorted Linuxes

joany
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#3 Post by joany » Thu May 22, 2014 7:37 pm

uncle mark wrote:I'd say you're getting throttled and they aren't owning up to it. Two different routers with three different firmwares tells me it's not the router. Run direct for longer and see if it eventually goes south with the direct connection.

Also, is there any chance you've got a neighbor that's hijacked your connection? Change passwords for sure, and network name, too. Hide the network name if you can.
The freeloading neighbor scenario seems most likely -- or maybe someone with a laptop hiding in the bushes.

A computer virus is improbable, because it would have to affect two completely different operating systems. A router virus affecting different routers is also unlikely. Even so, what would be uploading? Since the router doesn't store data, it would have to be uploading data from your computer. I'd suggest monitoring your traffic with a network monitor or software firewall to see what, if anything, is being sent out through the router.

I doubt that your ISP is throttling you and then lying about you uploading 7GB in two days, unless you have a pretty unreputable ISP.

EDIT:

It seems that the Moon router worm does flood the network with outgoing "traffic" by repeated outbound scanning of ports 80 and 8080. It infects older Linksys routers, and produces the symptoms you describe. There is a way to defeat the worm by changing a default setting that allows remote administrative management of the router. You could try getting instructions from the manufacturer on how to do that.
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

muskt
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#4 Post by muskt » Fri May 23, 2014 12:43 am

Thanks, Joany. I already knew about that--that is why I mentioned it in the OP. Anyway, I should have mentioned that I had the network secured with WPA2. I changed the SSID & Password on the second day of the ordeal. Disabling "remote management" is the prevention for the Moon thingy, but not the cure--or at least I couldn't locate anything that said it was a cure. It is really easy to change things in Linksys routers--maybe too easy; but, I hadn't messed with it since new--at least this time, I didn't cause my pain.

Earlier this evening, I installed an updated version of DD-WRT. There is a required procedure to install a basic version first and then the updated version at a later time. I have had the comp running with the router on line for more than 2 hours, now, and all is happy, as I am also. I guess I could say that I am cautiously hopeful (not optimistic, just hopeful).

Anyway, I always appreciate the prompt and helpful replies from the folks here. I just wish I could get a better grip on the Linux thing. It still kicks my Butt with extreme regularity.

Jerry in Anchorage

joany
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#5 Post by joany » Fri May 23, 2014 9:33 am

I'm glad everything is back to normal. Your thread was a cautionary tale for the rest of us.

BTW, I think you already have a pretty good grip on the Linux thing. All of us are learning something new every day.
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#6 Post by lucky9 » Fri May 23, 2014 9:35 am

Sometimes I learn the same thing again....
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#7 Post by uncle mark » Fri May 23, 2014 10:15 am

muskt wrote:Earlier this evening, I installed an updated version of DD-WRT. There is a required procedure to install a basic version first and then the updated version at a later time. I have had the comp running with the router on line for more than 2 hours, now, and all is happy, as I am also. I guess I could say that I am cautiously hopeful (not optimistic, just hopeful).
Glad you got it sorted. Sure is strange. You had two different routers with presumably two different firmwares doing the same thing, and then a third firmware doing it as well. That's what made me think it had to be a problem elsewhere. I guess the fourth firmware was the charm.

muskt
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#8 Post by muskt » Fri May 23, 2014 11:51 am

UPDATE!!

Left the router run all night. Computer was off (in my bedroom). All was happy this morning.

I cannot say "back to normal", cuz it is significantly better than with the stock Linksys rom.

I wish I had installed DD-WRT a long time ago. There is THAT much difference from stock. Amazing!!

Thanks again for your assistance and good thoughts.

Jerry in Anchorage

uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#9 Post by uncle mark » Fri May 23, 2014 12:05 pm

muskt wrote:Left the router run all night. Computer was off (in my bedroom).
Do you normally shut your router off? That's not usually done.

muskt
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: (SOLVED) Linksys Router Trauma

#10 Post by muskt » Fri May 23, 2014 12:19 pm

No. I just mentioned it in passing. When I was having the problems, I needed to reboot or power off frequently so that I would get a few minutes an normal speeds.

Jerry in Anchorage

Return to “Hardware General”