Welcome!

Please read this important information about MX sources lists.
News
  • MX Linux on social media: here
  • Mepis support still here
Current releases
  • MX-16.1 release info here
  • antiX-17-b1-full release info here
  • antiX-16.2 release info here
New users
  • Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
  • Read Forum Rules

Re: Laser printer belly-up

If you are having a problem with getting any of your computer's hardware to work with MEPIS or you can't find the right driver, this is the forum to use. It's for newbies and regular users to post questions. Just make sure to post what hardware you are having problems with, in the subject and not just in the post's text area, please.
Gordon Cooper
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Re: Laser printer constipated

#31 Postby Gordon Cooper » Wed May 10, 2017 12:56 am

Success - well this time anyway. After checking cables and connections, I fired up a 2015 copy of MX-14 that resides on the same machine. It printed perfectly, a Test
page then one from Libre Office. Took note of the the driver and USB settings, returned to MX-16, deleted the laser printer and set it up again with Print Settings and
using the driver/usb settings that worked with MX-14. Trial run! No go, just refused to print. Looked at CUPS and the laser was not in the list. So did another Add printer set up, this time in CUPS and it printed on the first attempt. There is something screwball here. Will be looking again after everything has been powered down overnight. Next installment of this saga, sometime tomorrow.
Homebrew64 bit Intel duo core 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Kingston SSD, Seagate1TB.
Primary OS : MX-16 64bit. Also MX15, Kubuntu14.04 & Puppy 6.3.
Toshiba Portege Tablet MX16, WinXP.

Gordon Cooper
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#32 Postby Gordon Cooper » Wed May 10, 2017 6:56 pm

18 hours later - it is still printing. Fingers crossed.

Richard

#33 Postby Richard » Wed May 10, 2017 7:22 pm

Curious. I also seem to have better luck installing printers via localhost:631
with CUPS. But it is weird. Seems like after so many years, printing would be simpler.
# MX16 p1-x64: desktop, 4 GB RAM, 4.7.0-0.bpo.1-amd64
MX160-386: netbook, 1 GB RAM, w/3.16.0-4-686-pae
MX160-386 snapshot to desktop, 4 GB RAM, w/3.16.0-4-686-pae
Slimjet, DoubleCmd, LibO-fresh, Dropbox, Lazarus CherryTree, Vbox

Gordon Cooper
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#34 Postby Gordon Cooper » Wed May 10, 2017 10:10 pm

localhost 631 is the way I fixed my problem. Certainly agree with your last comment, one might expect printing to get easier with the passage of time. Sadly, it has not.

eemaestro
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#35 Postby eemaestro » Sat May 13, 2017 1:15 pm

Thank you, all, for reporting your progress, or lack thereof.

This morning I was able to load from a USB thumb drive and print a file, an odt, with text & graphics.
I also printed a text file from kwrite. To do this, I used my 64-bit Solydk Live DVD (solydk_8_64_201606.iso) I printed the odt from libreoffice writer. This was the second Live DVD I tried printing from.

I did NOT have to install a printer driver to print these files to my laser printer. I just chose the one that came up under the libreoffice printer properties viewport, HP LaserJet 2200, also refered to as
Kind: HP LaserJet 2200 pct3, hpcups 3.14.6 under System settings...Printers.
So I did not have to use the browser-based CUPS interface under Solydk.

I am relieved to learn my laser printer is not yet toast! So I successfully printed two 1-page files, an odt and a text file from Kwrite, using the printer driver listed above. Ditto for the USB cable connecting it to my computer. I also tried the other driver, called Generic-CUPS_PDF_Printer to print the text file, but it did not work. So I reverted to the other one, which Solydk had found by default.

I will write, print, and mail my single-page letters before returning to this issue to consider printing multiple-page documents and/or looking for this print driver for MEPIS 12 in CUPS.

eemaestro
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#36 Postby eemaestro » Sun May 14, 2017 11:59 am

May 14 This morning I reinstalled my laser printer as an HPLIP local printer called HPLJ3,
using CUPS web interface. I looked for HP LaserJet 2200 pct3, hpcups 3.14.6, but couldn't find it. The closest I saw was HP LaserJet 2200pcl3, hpcups 3.12.6 (en), so I chose that instead.
I installed this to http://mepis1:631/ipp because my PC's hostname is mepis1. It appeared
as a new printer.

Did I goof in installing the printer?

So I tried printing to it from libreoffice. The job appears in the print
queue. But instead of printing, I only get a popup dialog box from the KDE system tray, saying
Printer applet
Printer 'HPLJ3' may not be
connected.

Did I goof?

Haven't changed any hardware. Yes, the printer is turned on.

So I conclude the May 7th APT failure (while running as su) must have clobbered something in a system file that rendered CUPS inoperable. But I don't know enough about CUPS's operation to figure out
what happened. So I will just use the work-around I found yesterday until I decide which
operating system to install.

Code: Select all

$ ps -A | grep cups
 2613 ?        00:00:00 cupsd
 2623 ?        00:00:00 hpcups

eemaestro
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Re: Re: Laser printer belly-up

#37 Postby eemaestro » Mon May 15, 2017 9:27 pm

Yesterday I read https://wiki.debian.org/SystemPrinting and so I tried

Code: Select all

#apt-get install task-print-server

as superuser and then re-added the printer via the CUPS web interface, choosing the Connection: hp:/usb/HP_LaserJet_2200?serial=00CNGRG82745 and the Model:HP LaserJet 2200 pcl3, hpcups 3.12.6 (en)
because it looked closest to the driver I had used sucessfully in solydk.
Nothing printed, though. Same old, same old. Printed from libreoffice, the print job goes into the queue, and never gets processed. So it justs sits there forever.

Maybe I ought to have reinstalled cups too. D'oh!

I used the work-around mentioned earlier printing while running the OS on the Solydxk Live DVD. I just had to first install the printer driver using the System....Hardware....Printer menu from the Live DVD. Once I did this, the document printed fine. Unlike with MEPIS, I had to reset the printer;s online/offline button after removing the first job from the laser printer, before the second job would print. No big deal since the printer is next to the computer.

Return to “Hardware General”