MX-17.1: Twinkle produces crackling sound output

MX-16_fan

MX-17.1: Twinkle produces crackling sound output

#1 Post by MX-16_fan »

@all:

I made a test with the Twinkle SIP VoIP application that we have in MX's (Debian's) repo, 1:1.10.1+dfsg-2. This is a slightly, but not all too, outdated version.

However, it has shown to be barely useable, as all sound output produced was severely crackling.

I guess this is due to some PulseAudio vs. ALSA problem.

Any hints as to how this can be fixed?

Greetings, Joe

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: MX-17.1: Twinkle produces crackling sound output

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

mod note: Signature removed, please read the forum rules

MX-16_fan

#3 Post by MX-16_fan »

@Head_on_a_Stick:
Thanks for the hint, I'll keep that in mind. For now, I've solved the problem by uninstalling PulseAudio and replacing it by ALSA (see viewtopic.php?f=108&t=51889). Greetings, Joe

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#4 Post by JayM »

If this solves your issue or answers your question please edit your original post (via the pencil icon at the top right) and add [SOLVED] to its subject. This makes it easier for others when they're searching the forum looking for solutions to the same question or problem. Thanks.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

Head_on_a_Stick

#5 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

MX-16_fan wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:41 am I've solved the problem by uninstalling PulseAudio and replacing it by ALSA
You haven't replaced PA with ALSA because PA runs on top of ALSA ;)

And that's a workaround rather than a solution.

Would it be possible to test my suggested fix and see if it works? Other people may suffer with this problem and prefer to retain PA so it might be useful for them.
mod note: Signature removed, please read the forum rules

MX-16_fan

#6 Post by MX-16_fan »

@Head_on_a_Stick :

Head_on_a_Stick wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:23 pm (...) You haven't replaced PA with ALSA because PA runs on top of ALSA ;)
Thanks for the correction.

Head_on_a_Stick wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:23 pm (...) And that's a workaround rather than a solution. (...)
Currently I tend to see an immense value in forever getting rid of PulseAudio (cf. viewtopic.php?f=108&t=51889), so this is much more a solution than a workaround.

Head_on_a_Stick wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:23 pm (...) Would it be possible to test my suggested fix and see if it works? Other people may suffer with this problem and prefer to retain PA so it might be useful for them.
Sure, next time I encounter this problem on a PulseAudio-based MX Linux system I'd be happy to do that, and to report on the results.

Greetings, and have a nice week, Joe

Return to “Software / Configuration”