32 bit library installation?

JMaxwell

32 bit library installation?

#1 Post by JMaxwell »

On to my next endeavour.
Has anyone successfully installed 32 bit libraries to run 32 bit programs in MX?
If you did so successfully, can you provide a nice simple explanation of the method you used?

Thanks,
Jeff

Pierre

Re: 32 bit library installation?

#2 Post by Pierre »

one of the most common examples, is for the ./wine project,
& as the ./wine project is still an 32 bit project & that you now have an 64 bit machine,

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386; sudo apt-get update
from here https://www.codeweavers.com/support/wik ... faq/Ubuntu
in the Dependency Help section

NB: even though the MX Project is based on Debian & not on the Ubuntu Project:
- this Dependency Help still applies.

towwire

#3 Post by towwire »

JMaxwell wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:39 pm On to my next endeavour.
Has anyone successfully installed 32 bit libraries to run 32 bit programs in MX?
If you did so successfully, can you provide a nice simple explanation of the method you used?

Thanks,
Jeff
As a side note open Synaptic and on the left side at the botton you see some buttons. press on the one that says Architecture and you will find that is shows
arch:all
arch: amd64
arch: i386

You will have some i386 files and that is true even with your MX18.3x64 usb stick. What is there depends on what you have installed.
It is easier to fight for one's principles then to live up to them.

towwire

#4 Post by towwire »

Pierre wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:48 pm one of the most common examples, is for the ./wine project,
& as the ./wine project is still an 32 bit project & that you now have an 64 bit machine,

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386; sudo apt-get update
from here https://www.codeweavers.com/support/wik ... faq/Ubuntu
in the Dependency Help section

NB: even though the MX Project is based on Debian & not on the Ubuntu Project:
- this Dependency Help still applies.
My question for you is why the commands to add the support when MX64 has multi-arch. To find out for sure just enter this on a x64 system.

dpkg --print-foreign-architectures

This show if i386 support is there. As I said above if you boot you MX install usb you will fine that it is there already.

Pierre

#5 Post by Pierre »

mainly because JMaxwell asked this question "can you provide a nice simple explanation of the method you used?"

& there was no question asked about the MX multi-arch support. .. .

whilst it is true, that the MX system often does have multi-arch support - - that was not asked about.
:eek:

towwire

#6 Post by towwire »

Pierre, I'm sorry but I should have explain it this way.

What was JMaxwell's question:

"Has anyone successfully installed 32 bit libraries to run 32 bit programs in MX?"

That there tells us he is using a x64 system. It should have been pointed out that MXx64 has multi-arch support. The question back to him should be why do you want to add 32 bit libraries if you don't have a program that needs them.

You answered his second question on how to add support if it was NOT already there, using wine as an example. But MX will install 'wine' and to do so multi-arch would have to be there or added at that time.

All I'm trying to point out is that sometimes we don't really think of what was said before answering the questions from someone new. I did not mean to nitpick you in any way and if I did I'm truly sorry.

JMaxwell

#7 Post by JMaxwell »

Thanks for the response.
I found the information both of you provided helpful.
My near term goal is to get a 32 bit program running.
I see a voluminous amount of 32 bit (386) packages.
I'm back to that "simple" concept again.
What packages or installation command is likely to get me the 32 bit libraries (etc) that are likely to be the ones I need to run this program (from back around 2001)?
In prior incarnations I believe it was a libc i386 or something along those lines but its been so long I don't recall the specific files that were used.

Thanks ahead of time for the help.

Jeff

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#8 Post by JayM »

JMaxwell wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:08 pm What packages or installation command is likely to get me the 32 bit libraries (etc) that are likely to be the ones I need to run this program (from back around 2001)?
God only knows what dependencies that particular program needs to run, as you haven't mentioned the name of the program or any other information about it.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

JMaxwell

#9 Post by JMaxwell »

How about just openGL for the moment.
Is there a base package or a comprehensive package for OpenGL that I can safely test out?

Thanks,
Jeff

Return to “Software / Configuration”