minstall problem and a Question

dolphin_oracle
Developer

Re: minstall problem and a Question

#41 Post by dolphin_oracle »

rs55 wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:28 pm
rs55 wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:24 pm
dolphin_oracle wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:59 am quick question...does the demo account still exist on your personal snapshot?
One other thing: I dont check the box that says "preserve data in /home....". I dont have a separate /home partition . I am not exactly sure what this does - but I dont check the box.
My logic: My new snapshot/LUM may have included many changes to /home , which I want to install on the new machine. So , I dont want to preserve whatever old /home was on the new machine.
yep, I read you. I'm sure the guys are working on it, thanks for providing the extra info.

FWIW, its supposed to work, so just hang on. we may need additional info because right now you are the only one picking up the problem.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Adrian
Developer

#42 Post by Adrian »

Do you have a custom alias for ls? what is the output of "alias ls"?

The test for existence of preserved /home profile uses "ls" probably we need to fully specify it "/bin/ls" to make it more resilient, normally the installer is run in our live environment but if you run it in a custom preserved environment that might affect the results of such commands.

rs55

#43 Post by rs55 »

Adrian wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:26 pm Do you have a custom alias for ls? what is the output of "alias ls"?

The test for existence of preserved /home profile uses "ls" probably we need to fully specify it "/bin/ls" to make it more resilient, normally the installer is run in our live environment but if you run it in a custom preserved environment that might affect the results of such commands.
> alias ls
alias ls='ls --color=auto'

Adrian
Developer

#44 Post by Adrian »

that's probably not it, it's the regular ls alias we have for everybody...

Adrian
Developer

#45 Post by Adrian »

Can you please give it another go:
https://github.com/MX-Linux/gazelle-ins ... _amd64.deb

Don't need to run the full installation, just let the program start and when it finishes loading you can close it and post here the /var/log/minstall.log file, I would like to see if the small change made the difference in the output of the command that test the presence of the snapshot folder I don't want to waste your time with a full installation.

rs55

#46 Post by rs55 »

minstall.log
Adrian wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:56 pm Can you please give it another go:

Don't need to run the full installation, just let the program start and when it finishes loading you can close it and post here the /var/log/minstall.log file, I would like to see if the small change made the difference in the output of the command that test the presence of the snapshot folder I don't want to waste your time with a full installation.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rs55

#47 Post by rs55 »

Adrian wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:56 pm Can you please give it another go:

Adrian:
WooHoo ! It worked!! So thrilled. Your "small change" has done the trick. You should get this 19.6-6 out as an upgrade . This is so great - finally this installer is working as it should. Thank you !!!

Adrian
Developer

#48 Post by Adrian »

Thanks for sticking with the troubleshooting process! This was not easy to figure out. It was a combination of things, it worked before for you because there was a bug in code that AK-47 fixed, but that surfaced another bug that bit you.

That's why is better to fix a bug rather than use an old version that seems to work fine. Sometime this is a pain, but in the long run this is worth it.

rs55

#49 Post by rs55 »

Adrian wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:14 pm Thanks for sticking with the troubleshooting process! This was not easy to figure out. It was a combination of things, it worked before for you because there was a bug in code that AK-47 fixed, but that surfaced another bug that bit you.

That's why is better to fix a bug rather than use an old version that seems to work fine. Sometime this is a pain, but in the long run this is worth it.
Yes - I understand. These software bugs are fiendishly difficult to flush out. But this one in particular has made a huge difference to me - so thanks again.
As I have said in numerous posts - I think the biggest standout feature of MX is snapshot/LUM and installer. Together this makes it so convenient to install your fully configured system on multiple machines - or on the same machine in the event of a nasty virus or update or user-error. And it takes all of 5 minutes to install my 8 GB system.
This is far more elegant than clonezilla or timeshift ( which I tried in the distant past and did not like).

Adrian
Developer

#50 Post by Adrian »

Just a word of caution, snapshot is not fully meant as a backup system, for example by default it excludes VirtualBox folders because those make the resulting too big, we'll also exclude /timeshift folder too for the same reason. But as long as you are familiar with these parameters it should work well.

Return to “Software / Configuration”