OpenVPN killswitch

pearsimmon

OpenVPN killswitch

#1 Post by pearsimmon »

I can easily import an .ovpn file with the GUI network manager, but I'd also like to have a working killswitch, so that if VPN connection drops, I lose access to the Internet instead of reverting to my bare connection. I checked "advanced" options but I'm not that knowledgeable to understand everything. Is there an easy way to configure such killswitch for each VPN connection? Or even better, can such a killswitch be made so potent that there are no leaks even on OS boot?

fehlix
Developer

Re: OpenVPN killswitch

#2 Post by fehlix »

pearsimmon wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:07 pm ... can such a killswitch be made so potent that there are no leaks even on OS boot?
A nice explanation and howto for settings this up manually:
How to setup a manual kill switch to prevent OpenVPN leaks
:puppy:
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

pearsimmon

#3 Post by pearsimmon »

Well, I was hoping it is incorporated in network manager's GUI somewhere but if not, I will use iptables or ufw. The problem is that if I want to disable VPN sometimes to access my bank account for example, I will have to revert iptables or ufw manually.

fehlix
Developer

#4 Post by fehlix »

pearsimmon wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:58 am The problem is that if I want to disable VPN sometimes to access my bank account for example, I will have to revert iptables or ufw manually.
Either have one kill-switch script which toggles between two fire-wall rule states, or use two scripts to change between those rules.
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

Return to “Software / Configuration”