Drill - new application to quickly search for a file by it's name

PPC

Drill - new application to quickly search for a file by it's name

#1 Post by PPC »

Hi, folks

I know Linux has many options for searching files (locate, recoll, etc, etc). But I randomly found a new and extremely fast option to locate files (faster than "locate" in cli).
Drill (https://github.com/yatima1460/Drill). Downloads available from https://github.com/yatima1460/Drill/releases and https://www.drill.santamorena.me/
It's as instant as possible even in very low specs hardware like mine. For now it does not accept wildcards ("*"). Searches only by name, does not look at file contents or index anything. Click a file that resulted from your search and Drill opens it in the associated program, click a folder, it opens it in the default file browser. Simple and efficient, just antiX and MX...
The programmer provides both UI and CLI versions. I tested only the UI Appimage version...

P.

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

Re: Drill - new application to quickly search for a file by it's name

#2 Post by JayM »

I like angrysearch for that, available in the MX Test Repo. On first run it indexes all of your files, and after that searching is almost instantaneous as all it has to do is apply a filter to its index database rather than search the file system in real time. The only drawback is that you have to reindex everything occasionally, which takes several moments.

If I don't want to wait for angrysearch to reindex the entire file system I just use catfish. It's not as fast but it works well, and can also search for strings within file contents.

That's one think about Linux that's nice: as you said, there's a choice of tools available so people can select the one or ones that they like best and find easiest to use.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

PPC

Re: Drill - new application to quickly search for a file by it's name

#3 Post by PPC »

@JayM: thanks, I didn't know about angrysearch, I'll give it a try when I have the time for it. One more option...
I don't like indexing (too slow on my machines) but it comes in handy, sometimes, to be able to search inside text documents and pdfs for some content I need...

Drill is way to "simple" for indexing. I read about it's creator: it's a guy take came to Linux from Windows only a few days ago, didn't find the search app he was looking for (he discribles he wanted something like the app "everything"), and got the job done himself! We need new Linux users with these skills and will to get stuff done.
For now, the main problems Drill has, in my opinion, is not being able to organize the results by column contents (seeing the more recent files first can be handy if you are looking for a document you were working on recently but got misplaced).

P.

Return to “Software / Configuration”